Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Bilsteins

Hi,
Changing shocks thisweekend and I have a little question. I presume that changing a shock on a moho is pretty much the same as a car only bigger. Am I correct?
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If the shocks are the pre-pressurized type you might have trouble compressing/extending them to fit the mounts depending on the position of the suspension.

Also, if you have to raise the MH, don't try it one-corner-at-a-time like you might with a car. MH chassis twisting can cause lots of problems, like popping a windshield.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Don, if I may ask. Why would you put on Bilsteins vs. Koni's?
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

Hi,
Good friends experience indicates the Bilsteins work well at a lower cost. Also phoned Shox and they said the either would work well
Don
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #5

Don, since you titled this post "Bilsteins" then Rick is 100% correct in that the Bilstein shocks are gassed charged so they are real hard to collapse to fit on the bottom bolt. What I do is to put the shock on the upper stud first and just put the nut on it to hold it. Then the hard part is to align the bottom hole and get the exact fit bolt in at the same time. I normally first use a large phillips screwdriver to go in the hole and through the shock first because it gives you a break from cussing at that time. Two people at this point would be helpfull. The strongest pushing the shock into alignment then the weakess pushing the bolt in. Sometimes a blow or two with a hammer can get it in. Do not hit the outer tube of the shock with a hammer. If you are by yourself then a floorjack with a block of wood on it going up against the shock really helps. You can raise the jack until the holes align. Then tap it in with a hammer. The other solution is to get an extra bolts of the same diameter and put it to a grinder to taper the end. Then you can push it in halfway from one side to align the two then put the real bolt in on the opposite side. Either way be patient and control the cussing (lol). A good pair of Mechanix Gloves helps a lot from bruised knuckles. I used an air impact to take off the top bolts. They came off real easy.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #6

Bilsteins

Thanks Mike,
Just about what I expected! We have access to one big guy to do the grunt work, I will be the weakling that handles the bolts and buys the beer. Because I have air levelling we don't need to raise the axle, just raise the coach to its highest level and then jack the shock to align it.
Thanks Don
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
My Bilsteins came with a plastic strap with loops on each end holding the shock compressed. When I got them in place, I just snipped the loops on each end and they seated themselves.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
D Barber....You don't say what coach you have, so I'm guessing its at least an 8 air bag with 8 shocks. When doing the front, crank the wheels to the right and you'll be able to easily access one shock on each side. Turn them the other way to get the other two.

The nut on the top of the rears can be VERY difficult to access. Place a box end wrench on the nut and then use a pipe wrench or large pair of Channelocks to spin the upper shock tube housing. The box end wrench will turn until it hits the frame and stops. I also reinstalled mine doing the same thing, but tightened it with my hands.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Crush hazard

Please use jack stands once you have the chassis lifted to where you want it before going under the Motorhome. If you break the air line while under the rig it will crush you.
Kbiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #10

Were do you get the best deal on bilsteins ?
Rfw1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #11

Hi,
Eshocks.com and @84.25 per shock with free shipping. Not going to install the shocks this weekend as planned. Grandkids are going to be in the way for four days. Next weekend for sure. Ours came without strapping to hold them but after a quick measurement the existing holes wont require a lot of compressing to get them installed. I have an air impact to get the old ones off. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.
Don b
Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #12

I just finished installing 8 new Bilsteins on my 2001 Diplomat. I didn't have any trouble installing the front 4 but the rear 4 were a different matter. I installed the rear 4 today. The last one I installed was the rear shock on the drivers side and I had a hard time getting the nut off. It was hard till about the last 2 threads. I was running out of gas while I was doing this last shock and that may explain part of my trouble, plus, it was about 95 with about 70% humidity. I did this laying on cardboard on a crushed stone parking lot. I am pretty sore right now. George R. 2001 Diplomat
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Colleen and I just finished doing this puzzle ....

It's called Sailing Ships and Seafaring.

We knocked this thing right out even though it is a 1000 pcs puzzle in record time. We really like the White Mountain brand of puzzles. The pieces are cut real cleanly and they lie flat on the board without any separation of the picture and cardboard backing. There was also relatively little cardboard debris. It seems to me that White Mountain goes the extra mile in making their puzzles. We found this puzzle at a store in down town Myrtle Beach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

I guess that's better than laying on your back changing shocks. You'r not taking them pills hopeing for the right moment are you?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote