Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Bio Diesel stablizer

Does anyone know of a good product to stabilize Boi Diesel. Thks, Chuck
rvillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvillini View Post
Does anyone know of a good product to stabilize Boi Diesel. Thks, Chuck
Yep, my opinion is to leave it at the fuel stop. I would not use it.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to look at bio fuel as just that, it goes bad just like food. So the question is how long can you store food before it goes bad? It can just be a headache as climate and environment can have a large effect on the product. It does not like cold temps. It has a larger alcohol content. It has a short shelf life. It does not have the same BTU's per lbs. I have used it, (not by choice) and did not like how it performed over all. JMO.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I only use bio diesel when I have to and traveling so it is used up quickly.
I put in no more than half a tank and mix it later with diesel.
I wouldn't store my rig with bio. I'd go on a trip. Use it up and fill it with diesel and stabilize that. You won't have a problem.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Thks guys, I found out today that what bought locally wasn't Bio fuel.
rvillini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you are asking what I think you are, I use Pri-D. It supplies added lubricant for fuel pumps and injectors and actually (supposedly) has some biocide in it to kill the nasty bugs. It must work as I have had 20% Bio at various stations and I also use in my 400 gallon storage tank at home. That tank supplies my MH, tractor and home generator. So far, no problems after using it for 4 years plus. I look at it as insurance.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I never use it if I have any other option. BUT specifically, the concentration is very important and should be labeled at the pump. Different states have different mandates, B2 to B20 is most common. Anything under B5 and you probably won't even notice it, even then I still try to avoid. Shelf life will follow concentration amount. Higher the concentration the shorter the life. You probably will not see a published (reputable) statement on shelf life as so many other factors can be involved. I have seen some stay good for long periods and others not even make it to the distribution terminal. (environmental/transport/production influences). One positive thing about biodiesel is it's lubricating properties. Even a blend of just 2% (B2), has as much lubricating capabilities as diesel produced prior to the advent of ULSD. You should not need any lubricating additives for that. It's really best to not keep it any length of time including storing because "the price was right".
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
one more thing- biocides of course are for bugs- the bugs need to be in a wet environment to survive and prosper. If your diesel is dry, bugs will not grow. That means additives for that are not necessary provided there was not a contamination.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel