Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Black Water Tank Flush

Hi everyone I have an issue with the flush system on the black tank on our 99 Monaco Windsor the problem seems to be that very little water will enter the tank via the flush connection. is there any type of cleaner that can be installed in the tank through the toilet that may help this issue
thanks oilcan 99monaco windsor
oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's probably because that connection is clogged. My recommendation is to use a Flush King at your sewer outlet for the time being. Our rv didn't come with a dedicated flush connection so this is what we use...it's worked great for 11 years.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I took my flush head out and drilled the holes bigger. It doesn't spin, it has 17 little holes drilled in it and just sprays. It was plugged up pretty bad with ick and nastiness. Silicone it up real good, put it back in, leak check it and it's good for another decade. ez.

Then, when I use it, I put a big squirt of antibacterial, grease fighting, cheap liquid dish soap in the hose first, then connect it and turn it on. Maybe it helps keep the nozzle clear and helps clear the tank, maybe not.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

You will have one or maybe two nozzles that penetrate the top or the very end at the top of your black tank that is plumbed from the hose fitting you use to flush it. There is also a vacuum breaker between the hose connection and the spray nozzle(s).

The main lines are likely not the issue. It would take a lot of buildup to plug a ½" PEX pipe.

The vacuum breaker could be compromised by water hardness deposits keeping it from opening fully. That breaker is probably behind some cupboard drawers, or under one of your sinks. I've even heard of them being behind the shower enclosure, but doubt that would be the case. You can take it apart and clean it or replace it. They are somewhat standard devices.

The most likely culprit is the spray nozzle(s) itself. On the inside of the tank, I would expect to see a brass device, maybe ½" x 1", or so, with several very tiny holes drilled into the sides and the end of it. Hard water definitely is a big enemy to those small holes. If you can find it or them, and get to it to remove it, you can probably clean it up. I've not tried CLR, but it might work if you soaked it long enough. You could also help to clean it up with a Dremel, and possibly push a tiny wire thru the holes to open them up. Or you could even drill each of them out with the smallest drill bit that you have. You could then use that bit to clean it up in the future. The holes would likely be larger, so it would flow more water and produce slightly less spray pressure, but it would probably still work quite well for you.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Spray nozzles are plastic with tiny holes drilled in them
Holes get plugged up from minerals in water supply and/or stuff if tank is filled to FULL

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
flush valve

thanks for the replies I will try giving it a good shot of CLR as you can hear some water entering the tank will fill a short section of hose with CLR then connect the water line maybe that will help if not I guess it is going to be a sh**ty job
thanks again for the replies oilcan
oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
There are people that flush out both black and grey water tanks with high pressure water. The problems occur when folks think they are conserving water by putting small amounts in the tank. What happens is that the poo builds up a pyramid and solidifies. It can also plug up the flush head. The best thing to do is get it flushed with high pressure and then use plenty of water with each flush. I always start with 15% in the tank and go from there. The black tank is not the place to save water.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A very good message, and one to be appreciated.

We were at the old Florida Monaco Service Center awhile back, and I got to talking with one of the service guys. I forget the exact details, but he said he was working on the black tank of a coach that the owner had died suddenly while on a trip, and the coach had sat for a long time as-is, til relatives (or the bank, or someone) got around to retrieving it.

He said the frig and interior smelled terrible from spoiled food, etc, but the contents of the almost-full black tank were almost dried and solidified. Last I heard, they were considering cutting out a portion of the tank to get out the 'stuff'.

Tags
tank, water