Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Blue Smoke from Aqua Hot Heater Exhaust

We have a 2002 Dynasty Baroness with a Aqua Hot system. The coach was purchased two years ago from a dealer so we have little information as to when certain systems were serviced. Over the past two years we have used the coach very little. We are now living in it full time as we await purchasing a new home. The problem is the aqua hot system not staying on to provide hot water for our heater system and shower.

The system will ignite but will not stay on. This recently became an issue after living in the coach for the past six weeks. I have noticed blue exhaust coming from the exhaust pipe just before the system shuts down.

A little more information. Both thermostats are set to furnace. The electric heater is working and provides enough hot water to wash dishes.

Is this a maintenance issue where the fuel nozzle is plugged along with a dirty combustion chamber? I have yet to open the access panel in the bay to determine which system is installed in the coach.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as the nights in Las Vegas are getting colder.
norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
To be brief , Yes , service to the jets and burner annually is recommended ,also little use is worse than frequent use . Sevice yourself for about 80 bucks and some mechanical skills or pay 2-3 hundred and have done by a mobile service.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Your unit needs a new fuel filter, new nozzle, the electrode gap checked and the combustion chamber cleaned. This should solve your issues but if they persist a qualified Aqua-Hot tech needs to check the rest of the system. Good luck.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalhemi View Post
We have a 2002 Dynasty Baroness with a Aqua Hot system. The coach was purchased two years ago from a dealer so we have little information as to when certain systems were serviced. Over the past two years we have used the coach very little. We are now living in it full time as we await purchasing a new home. The problem is the aqua hot system not staying on to provide hot water for our heater system and shower.

The system will ignite but will not stay on. This recently became an issue after living in the coach for the past six weeks. I have noticed blue exhaust coming from the exhaust pipe just before the system shuts down.

A little more information. Both thermostats are set to furnace. The electric heater is working and provides enough hot water to wash dishes.

Is this a maintenance issue where the fuel nozzle is plugged along with a dirty combustion chamber? I have yet to open the access panel in the bay to determine which system is installed in the coach.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as the nights in Las Vegas are getting colder.
IF it was smoking bad upon start up then I would say yes but only smoking as it shuts down is weird and also shutting down early is a problem for sure.
If it will ignite and then shuts down sounds like the coil is weak/bad
;;maybe fuel pump is going south, ;;maybe bad thermostat,
when it shuts down go look at the control circuit board and see if any warning lights are on and which ones
although it most likely needs a service I seriously doubt that is the problem at all
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

One other thing to keep an eye on is the boot on the air intake under the coach. It can get pushed out of shape and restrict air flow causing a rich burn (and smoke).
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
One other thing to keep an eye on is the boot on the air intake under the coach. It can get pushed out of shape and restrict air flow causing a rich burn (and smoke).
yes possible but does not cause the Op situation where he claims its starts and runs and THEN shuts down and blows blue smoke
Old 12-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I will be busy tomorrow as soon as I get the new parts. Lucky to have found a video on how to service the aqua hot system.
norcalhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalhemi View Post
I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I will be busy tomorrow as soon as I get the new parts. Lucky to have found a video on how to service the aqua hot system.
Ok sounds good if that solves it I will be the most amazed poster here
because a worn injector does not cause a AH to start and run and then shut down as u claim
Old 12-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
Ok sounds good if that solves it I will be the most amazed poster here
because a worn injector does not cause a AH to start and run and then shut down as u claim
Agreed. I don't understand that either. Doing the service is a good idea to establish a base line, but expect more will be required.
I suggest you go to RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home. Join the forum and post your problem. Help will be forthcoming.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had symptoms similar to this last year. You will have to do the service, first. If the blower runs slow it will produce blue smoke. The bearings could be shot fuel pump binding motor shot, etc. I sent mine to Roger Burke for a rebuild, pretty quick turn around.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
yes possible but does not cause the Op situation where he claims its starts and runs and THEN shuts down and blows blue smoke
The first thing I would do is check the air intake. My 05 Dynasty had a soft rubber boot run from the intake through the bottom of the coach. It would collapse and starve the burner for air. I removed it and placed a kitchen sink drain screen over the hole in the bottom of the coach to kee out the critters.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with the Rodger Burke recommendation. I would service it, but pay close attention to the condition of the photo cell on the burner while its removed, when they are not used often they get dirty and the system cannot see the flame and will shut off. you can see the photo cell in this picture the rectangular opening at the bottom. if its dirty or cracked you will have a problem. Sounds like a good tune up and check over is in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	146119  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
The first thing I would do is check the air intake. My 05 Dynasty had a soft rubber boot run from the intake through the bottom of the coach. It would collapse and starve the burner for air. I removed it and placed a kitchen sink drain screen over the hole in the bottom of the coach to kee out the critters.
interesting and makes sense BUT did yours start and run and then blow blue and shut off like the OP does in this case?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
interesting and makes sense BUT did yours start and run and then blow blue and shut off like the OP does in this case?
With my experience the blue smoke is excessive fuel, my nozzle was dripping fuel and I had blue smoke, as you can see from the photo it was leaking from being so old and it was the wrong nozzle. That's what you get when you purchase used and "everything was just serviced"
The blue smoke on shut down could be excess in the burner chamber on shutdown.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater