Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #1

After de-winterizing I noticed my boost gauge was still sleeping, it still hasn't woke up. Have plenty of power so I know the turbo is working.

How do I trace this problem?

2001 Diplomat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #2

After de-winterizing I noticed my boost gauge was still sleeping, it still hasn't woke up. Have plenty of power so I know the turbo is working.

How do I trace this problem?

2001 Diplomat
Old 04-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #3

The only thing to do is open the dash area to get at the back of the boost gauge. Then disconnect the plastic air line going to the boost gauge. Start the engine. Excellerate and see if air is coming out of the air line. If so the gauge is bad. If not there is a blockage or a leak in the air line. I'm betting on a bad gauge
Old 04-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #4

The Monaco Service Center just replaced our boost guage. It was going dead after sitting for the winter, the year before they put a new fitting on the back of it and worked through the summer, but to no avail, it did not work after we brought it out of storage. They said there might have been moisture getting in the guage and going bad each winter, hopefully with the new guage this will be the last time we have to worry about it. The tech did tell us if our turbo quit working we would know it !!!!

Whippetmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks for the input I'll test her out this week. Hopefully it's only a guage replacement
Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Garranch, below is a copy of information that I saved, but it is from others that had a Boost problems. So far (knock on wood) I have not had the problem. Hope this info is of help.

Rex 01 Diplomat

"I finally straightened out the problem I started having with my boost gage in Oct. I knew my turbo-charger was working, so I was in no hurry to fix it. After trying to buy a new "snubber" (an air pressure stabilizer in the line to the gage to stabilize the needle movement, thanks Larry) at Wildwood and being told Cummins doesn't sell or use
them anymore, I thought the cheapest way to see where the problem was, was to buy a new gage.

I noticed that the new gage was deeper and went to 50 lbs. I installed it and it still did not work. I thought that if Cummins wasn't using the snubber anymore, maybe the gage manufacturer was putting them in the gage and that was why it was deeper. I removed the old snubber and connected directly to the intake pipe. The gage was working and the needle gives a steady reading. The old snubber was dirty and was restricting air flow to the gage, causing it to not give a reading.

I would remove the snubber and try blowing it out with air. This may clear it. Make sure you blow the air opposite of the normal air flow and reinstall it in the same air flow direction as you took it out.

The first thing I did was test the air line to make sure it was not leaking from rubbing somewhere along its path to the gage. You need to use a hand tire pump because an air compressor will put too much pressure too soon and spin the needle. It takes very little volume to move the needle.

I didn't have oil on my snubber, I think it was dirt, which is scary because you wonder where the dirt is coming from. You could try soaking the snubber in a solvent before you blow it out. Wildwood told me that they drill a hole through the fitting if they come across this problem. They must not be aware of a newer model gage. They did not
tell me what size drill bit they use.

The snubber is located directly on the outlet pipe from charge air cooler. This pipe is an aluminum tube about 3-4" in diameter and goes between the CAC and the engine. Somewhere along the pipe is a brass fitting with a 3/8" diameter plastic tube coming out of it. This brass fitting contains the snubber and it consists of sintered metal piece. This can be plugged from oil. I had that happen on my 05 End. And ended up replacing the fitting."

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote