Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Brake Light Problem

I was recently informed I had no brake lights on my 94 Monaco Executive and trailer. Coach has 4 duel element lights on each side in the rear and a small square brake light in center rear over the engine hatch. Motorist who alerted me couldn't see center light because of trailer. Because the center light still worked I assumed there was no problem with the brake light switch and it checked out ok. Turn signals and 4 way flashers work fine (all use same bulb elements as brake lights) I checked driver side outside elect panel for brake light fuse, but don't see one, my next thought is the turn signal switch. one thing got my attention is the wire coming off the brake switch is black and seems to be about 12 gage, but hot wire feeding turn signals is red and about 14/16 gage so there must be a junction box of some type in between. Ignition does not have to be on for any of the systems to work. anyone had this issue on their Monaco before?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbstewart View Post
I was recently informed I had no brake lights on my 94 Monaco Executive and trailer. Coach has 4 duel element lights on each side in the rear and a small square brake light in center rear over the engine hatch. Motorist who alerted me couldn't see center light because of trailer. Because the center light still worked I assumed there was no problem with the brake light switch and it checked out ok. Turn signals and 4 way flashers work fine (all use same bulb elements as brake lights) I checked driver side outside elect panel for brake light fuse, but don't see one, my next thought is the turn signal switch. one thing got my attention is the wire coming off the brake switch is black and seems to be about 12 gage, but hot wire feeding turn signals is red and about 14/16 gage so there must be a junction box of some type in between. Ignition does not have to be on for any of the systems to work. anyone had this issue on their Monaco before?
Many coaches have another fuse panel mounted in the rear of the coach for the turn signals and trailer lighting.

I dont have any idea if that statement applies to your coach.

But If so? most are mounted in the rear run control box or in the rear in the engine bay area.

you may also look for a turn signal converter box as seen here https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...Jjlg3qtHr9ICM: that has failed, most are mounted in the rear of the coach and poorly mounted.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply, I'm aware of a number of relays located on the front bulk of the engine compartment, but doubt any of them are associated with brake lights, turn signals or 4 way flashers since they all operate with the ignition on or off not requiring any input for a powered relay. I have 2 trailer connectors, a 7 pin and a 4 pin, I installed these myself by splicing them into existing brake and light wiring at back of coach, they've worked fine for years. I would like to obtain a wiring diagram showing brake wiring route after leaving the brake switch.

Tags
brake, light