Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Brake Switch?

Hello, has anyone installed a "Brake Switch" exhaust brake controller on a 1998 Beaver Patriot, magnum chassis, 330hp cat, allison tranny?

If so where did you put it? And which wires?

Thanks, Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may not need it on a Cat engine. I believe the ECM can be programmed to operate the brake in latch mode. Latch mode engages the brake when the service brake pedal is applied and remains on after the pedal is released. The brake disengages upon activation of another input such as depressing the throttle or clutch, or when engine speed drops below 800 RPM or when the brake switch is turned off.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #3

As Bob said, you don't need it on a CAT. I had my CAT programmed to "latch" mode and it works as Bob described when the cruise control is turned on, but not active. With the cruise control turned off it works as before. ie When you remove your foot from the accelerator the exhaust brake comes on. So you have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post
Hello, has anyone installed a "Brake Switch" exhaust brake controller on a 1998 Beaver Patriot, magnum chassis, 330hp cat, allison tranny?

Thanks, Mike
Mike,

I am having my ECM flashed for the Brake Switch Latching Mode in Eugene OR this coming May. I will be traveling through OR on my way to Alaska so figured it was a good time to get'er done. They said it would cost $225 and would take about an hour and a half including a drive test making sure everything was working correctly. They also took my Cummins engine serial number to see if they were any updates that needed to be programmed which they would do at the same time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Be very careful if you decide to install the Brake Switch,if the wiring you have is not the same as the one that comes with the Brake Switch,and you call the inventor for help,you may run into a major problem!
I was going to have you read the post I put on here 2 months ago,but it is closed for some reason?
So here is a copy of it.
Phil

This is the letter I sent to Homer Hawks.

Homer

Here is a copy of the invoice for the repairs on our 2003 Safari,caused by connecting the wires to a circuit that caused the ECM to burn out.

When I first called you in January and told you the wiring on our Safari did NOT match up with your schematic,you asked me to call Monaco and see what they said.

They did send me the schematic for our Safari,I then sent that to you,You told me to spice into # 204 and # A42.That is what I did and when I road tested it there was no change in the operation of the exhaust brake or the cruise control.

I then called you again and you told me to reconnect # A42 and splice into # B34.

So that is what I did.

Then when I road tested it,The exhaust brake and the cruise control were both inoperative,so I removed all the wires from the " Brake Switch " and put the wires back the way they were and road tested it again,The same thing happened,the exhaust brake and the cruise control were both inoperative.

I then took it to Redlands Truck & RV to diagnose the problem.

That is when they found the problem with the ECM.

It had to be replaced and programmed for a total cost of $ 2,767.21

I assume you have insurance to cover this problem.

I have been a mechanic for over 20 years, I know how to cut and spice a wire.

Homer Hawks is the inventor of the " Brake Switch " so I would think he has all the answers.

I have sent him three e mails over the last two weeks and have had no response?

Today 02/12 / 2010 I called him,he said he did not get the e mails.

I sent them it to him again and then called him.

He now tells me there is nothing he can do for me,as per him the " Brake Switch " could not cause this problem.

All I know is there was no problem until the " Brake Switch " was installed.

I thought Homer would man up and take some responsible ,but that is not the case.

Anyone thinking about installing the " Brake Switch " should think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post

Thanks, Mike
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rvtrips
I think it was closed because you were bashing a vendor and not telling the whole story.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would not can it BASHING I was just warning other people about the problem.
What part of the store is not told?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
rvtrips
I think it was closed because you were bashing a vendor and not telling the whole story.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think it is important, as you did, to point out that you need to be careful installing anything. I think you point out that your coach did not match info provided by Brake Switch or Monaco and that Monaco had actually switched a ground and 12 volt wire going to the ECM, which may have contributed to the failure.

I just think that posting a letter that talks about the Company not paying for your repair add anything to a discussion of how to correctly install a modification to a MH.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Where did this come from " {Monaco had actually switched a ground and 12 volt wire going to the ECM, which may have contributed to the failure}.
Homer had the wiring diagram and HE told me what wires to tap into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
I think it is important, as you did, to point out that you need to be careful installing anything. I think you point out that your coach did not match info provided by Brake Switch or Monaco and that Monaco had actually switched a ground and 12 volt wire going to the ECM, which may have contributed to the failure.

I just think that posting a letter that talks about the Company not paying for your repair add anything to a discussion of how to correctly install a modification to a MH.