Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #15

Just my 2 cents worth, I don't see why an air brake system would be so different on a MH chassis than a truck or bus. Before my Tradewinds I have owned 10 buses and have over a million miles. I learned about 40 years ago when releasing the parking brake always make a minimum 100psi foot application to release the shoes..(For what it's worth)
charliebebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #16

charliebebo, I seem to remember somewhere that I read or was told not to apply too much pressure when releasing the parking brake. That is how I have always done it. I only apply heavy pressure after the park brake is released. Since I too have the problem with the brakes sticking (only after traveling in the rain and immediately parking), maybe I am doing it wrong. Can you add anything further? Maybe I should apply more pressure prior to releasing the park brake? Will this damage anything?
brrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #17

Please note I am not a "know it all" But in my buses with air brakes some time you couldn't get it to budge until up made a foot application. I always have my foot on the pedal when releasing. Sometime they will release and cause the coach to start rolling. If I was parked and didn't foot apply some times they would pop loose and that terrible bang every one is talking about not to mention a partial release and brake drag. I don't know of any thing it would hurt to make a full application when releasing Never had a problem with my MH just pressed and released over 40 years since a teenager. Blessings..
charliebebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #18

charliebebo
You may not be a "know it all".....none of us are....but what you are doing is the correct procedure for auto slack adjusting air brakes.The only thing I would add is .....a "full" brake pedal application should not be applied while the emergency brake is on UNLESS you have an anti-compounding valve on your coach .full air pressure plus spring pressure can over stress the system and ..you can damage the cams..But a full pedal application when aired up in neutral ,emerge. off will allow the auto adjusters to set the cams to the correct length
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
We just left Rockport Texas this morning. We were there for 5 days and 3 of the days it was raining on and off.

When putting the Dip in gear and expecting to roll, nothing happens. Then I step slightly on the gas and an allmighty "bang" sounds out. We have tried this before, and what apparently happens is that the brakes get stuck. They simply rust in this moist weather, and when we start again they let go with a large "bang". It sound like the front wheel are coming off completely.

Do you all have this or is it just me? Can I do anything to prevent the brakes from sticking? Am I at risk of doing damage to the brakes when this happens?

Thanks guy's (and dolls ).

Dane the solution to the sticky brake in wet weather problem is to ride the brakes before parking to dry them out they stick because they are wet and no rocking should not hurt anything, some folks have to get under the coach and knock them loose so lot easier to just warm them up before parking in wet weather.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
As pipedream2 stated, do not apply full foot valve pressure until the spring (emergency) brake is released unless you have an anti-compounding valve. Compounding is exactly what occurs if you don't have one, the pressure/force on the foundation brake system generated by the spring brake (about 35-40psi) and the pressure/force generated by the foot valve, at full application which could be 130psi at full tank pressure. Compounded you could have as much as 165-170psi on the brake system. The only way to know is to look to see if there is an extra air line running between the brake chambers and relay valve. (best left to someone that knows what they are looking for) If you don't know or don't have one, only apply enough foot valve pressure to hold the vehicle until you are sure the spring brakes are released then and only then is it safe to apply full foot valve pressure, at this point you will only be able to apply whatever your tank pressure is. By the way I did phone Monaco for air schedules and they seemed at loss.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #21

There are other coaches that have the disc brake on the driveshaft for a parking brake and some of those are the air over hydraulic systems. They have air assisted brake boosters that get their boost from the onboard air compressor to help with the hydraulic disc brakes. Then the air operated parking brake on the driveshaft. Thats the system that was on my 1998 Beaver Monterey.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote