RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

Have a 06 Endeaver (first motorhome) I have always kept my distance in front and kept a good ey on traffic in front of me as to use the exhust brake mostly to slow down and stop. Coming back from CO last month had to stop in a shorter distance and faster then I haver had. Result was I was just about off my seat and standing on the brake petal. I would have expected air brakes to respond so much better then they did. I was loaded up to the max without a toad. Do these brakes ever lock up the wheels??? Maybe I expect to much from the brakes???? Since I have never a MH before not sure if there is an issue or not. I have moved some semi tractors around and know they can stop fast with air brakes. Any thoughts?? Thanks much!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #2

Have a 06 Endeaver (first motorhome) I have always kept my distance in front and kept a good ey on traffic in front of me as to use the exhust brake mostly to slow down and stop. Coming back from CO last month had to stop in a shorter distance and faster then I haver had. Result was I was just about off my seat and standing on the brake petal. I would have expected air brakes to respond so much better then they did. I was loaded up to the max without a toad. Do these brakes ever lock up the wheels??? Maybe I expect to much from the brakes???? Since I have never a MH before not sure if there is an issue or not. I have moved some semi tractors around and know they can stop fast with air brakes. Any thoughts?? Thanks much!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #3

RVSEF and read "A tip for you"

You probably have ABS (Antilock) Brakes which prevent you from locking up your brakes and actually stop you in a shorter distance than if you do "lock up" the brakes.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed S -

Welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the forum, just let me know.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again -

I had a similar panic-stop awhile back ('06 Endeavor too), and although it would obviously have been less hair-raising if the coach had stopped sooner, was pleased with what it did for 45K+ pounds and 6 tires. In retrospect, I did notice the ABS pulsing on-off during the stop, which meant I'd have been skidding tires and been less-efficient (ie, possibly gone into an uncontrolled slide) if that happened.

Is this a common problem, do you think the brakes might be adjusted wrong or perhaps need work?

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #6

Hi Ron and thank you for your thoughts and welcome!! I never felt the abs kick in at all but I was on dry road if that would make a dif. Some time I wish I could drive another HR Endeaver to feel the differnce. I only have 8000 miles on the coach but guess I better get the brakes checked out. Any other thoughts let me know. How do you like your PAQ?? We like the floor plan very much. We are into showing dogs and the large front slide is great for large breed crates.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed -

Wouldn't even consider any other floorplan. We go camping to see the great outdoors, so why not be able to see it thru a big window instead of a little porthole-size one?

Only have one dog, but he's taken over most of the Atrium too. Ours had the big recliner-chair, but it got tossed out and I put in a computer work-station instead. We love the room, but storage-space is somewhat diminished unless you think creatively.

Glad you enjoy yours too.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #8

Hey Ron,

With your panic stop was the roads dry or wet that you noticed the abs kick in???
Thanks for your help

Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Last October I had to make my first panic stop and always wondered how well these things stop. I hit the brakes (about 40 mph) and it about put me through the windshield. It really increased my confidence.

I also read recently that we overuse the exhaust brake on the coaches. A poster I have confidence in pointed out that the brakes last forever on these coaches and it wouldn't hurt to use them more often. His argument is that you tend to glaze the brakes by only using them lightly and letting the exhaust brake do the bulk of the work.

At traffic speeds under 35 mph, I find that the application of the exhaust brake can make for a jerky ride. I now use mine more for grades and hard freeway stops.

I also make sure I exercise it regularly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
Last October I had to make my first panic stop and always wondered how well these things stop. I hit the brakes (about 40 mph) and it about put me through the windshield. It really increased my confidence.

I also read recently that we overuse the exhaust brake on the coaches. A poster I have confidence in pointed out that the brakes last forever on these coaches and it wouldn't hurt to use them more often. His argument is that you tend to glaze the brakes by only using them lightly and letting the exhaust brake do the bulk of the work.

At traffic speeds under 35 mph, I find that the application of the exhaust brake can make for a jerky ride. I now use mine more for grades and hard freeway stops.

I also make sure I exercise it regularly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your thoughts. Seems based on your panic stop my breaks need to be looked at. No mater how hard I have jumped on the brakes I have never felt any force pushing me forward out of my seat.