Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Broken curved shower glass door

My curved shower door unlatched and slammed back against the stop and shattered into a million pieces........what a racket. Sounded like someone threw a million ice cubes onto a hardwood floor. Luckily 99% of the glass went into the shower.....so will be easy to clean up. I just bought the coach a month or so ago, and I thought it was plastic, was surpiresed that it's glass. It's a curved shower door on rollers........I just need to replace the glass, the shower door frame is fine. Take it to a local glass [COLOR=#0072bc! important][COLOR=#0072bc! important]dealer[/COLOR][/COLOR] or call Monaco or what do you think? Do you think I should try to replace with plastic or leave it glass? I know one thing, I'm going to install a lock that cannot come undone on the door. Thanks
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I too have a curved shower door. Your post and a visit to the below site will remind me to make sure it is secure when I depart. Here is a web site that sells curved doors. Curved Shower Door - Bathroom Fixtures - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

When you see the price you need to be siting down.
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check out the following URL. This is the company that made the curved door assemblies in HR and Monaco coaches.

Shower Enclosures of America, Inc.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis gave you a link to the company that supplies Monaco. You will need to gall them as they don't have much info on-line.

I saw what I think is their enclosure at Lowe's recently. Was surprised to see it there. You might want to check.

Check out this PDF for part numbers:

http://www.cesana.it/cataloghi_file/...e%20parts2.pdf

and this site

http://www.cesana.it/ing/products/shower_enclosures/curved_corner/sliding_doors/

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a one page .pdf of the SEA curved shower door installation instructions if you need them. That door is a PITA! I check it about three times before we travel. It has hopped off the railing a couple of times on big bumps, but not broken. I would give some thought to a shower curtain.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'm going to install a lock that cannot come undone on the door
This may not help because the problem isn't the lock releasing, it's the rollers coming out of the track. 99.9% if not 100% of us have / had this problem with the door. The "fix" was to replace the rollers with larger ones. This didn't work for me even when I adjusted the larger rollers as directed. You've probably noticed that the roller assembly rotates in an "oval" not "circular" shape. If the top rollers are positioned where they are at their low point of travel and the bottom rollers are positioned at their high point of travel, the door is supposed to be ok. I have the larger rollers and adjusted them as directed but the door still fell off. I even used two clamps at the top and those slid off due to vibration when travelling.

My foolproof solution is to put the door on the bed when travelling. Takes less than a minute to remove or install. Minor inconvenience, but much less time than picking up broken glass and paying for replacement.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the GOOD replies......I've got a call into Shower Enclousures America Inc. When I bought this motorhome a couple months ago, the door was off the tracks......I tighten and adjusted the rollers and haven't had any problem since......however, the hook latch has come loose a couple of times. When it let go yesterday, I pulling out, making a left turn onto a 2 lane hiway, the roadway right there was also on a very steep slope with the lower side to the outside of the lane I was turning into......so I not only had the centifrigual force of turning left, but also the slope of the road......a double whammy. The frame is still on the tracks.......it just hit the wide open stop with a tremedous force....I'm sure it flexed the glass and that was enough to shatter....what a noise it made. I actually thought the refrigerator had fallen over and the ice cubes had fallen out. Has anyone replaced the door with a shower curtain? or anything else?
Brian
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had my shower door blow apart a couple of montha ago. I contacted Monaco, they wanted $544.. Ouch. I called Mega RV, they got me the door for $175 plus shipping and handeling. Great service. I don't think SEA will sell to end users, I never got them to return a call.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ordered one from SEA.....$150.00 plus $94.00 shipping. It's the complete door with all new hardware.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #10

Does anyone have the adjustment procedures for these curved sliding doors?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I believe this may be it do to the roller assembly rotating in an "oval" not "circular" shape. If the top rollers are positioned where they are at their low point of travel and the bottom rollers are positioned at their high point of travel, the door is supposed to be ok.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #12

My shower door fell out several times, but never busted. I finally realized that the upper frame on the door was seperating and allowing the frame to sag andd loosen the rollers. I glued the frame and gasket to the glass and put a pipe clamp on it with the shower door in place and that has been a good fix and held all the way across country traveling. I do use two ratcheting clamps to make sure it is held in place at each top corner of the door while traveling.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #13

I did remove the pipe clamp after the glue dried!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #14

Bob, I looked real carefully at the rollers today and I don't see an adjustment on them. Maybe I am missing the obvious. I did notice that during the motion of opening and closing the sliding door that the rollers do not stay centered on the tube and ride up. The guide tube that the rollers are on is oval vice circular.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote