Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Broken Electric Steps

Our electric steps broke this weekend. I had just cleaned and lubed them before the trip. I think I stepped on them before they were fully extended. Since I'm no lightweight, I heard a crack but didn't think anything of it. Once we got to the campground and we stepped out the first time the steps broke and just swing in and out freely.

I checked them at the campground and found a large diameter bolt (approx 3/4" with allen head) that bolts up through the center of the step assembly. The gear plate and another support are held in place/rotate around this bolt. It's a "shouldered" bolt with a threaded end. The threaded end snapped off in the step.

I always thought the steps were Kwikee brand, but when I pulled my paperwork, mine says they are SCS/Frigette who apparently is still making some parts, but not steps.

My question.....has anyone borken this bolt and found a replacement. I'm guessing I wil probably be drilling out the old one and making a new one tomorrow, but thought I would ask.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You may not have to drill it out. When my pivot bolt broke I was able to crawl under the coach and look down on the top of the bolt. There were 3 or 4 exposed threads of the bolt showing beyond the nut. I snugged up my vise grips and threaded the remaining portion of the bolt out the top. Super easy.

My steps are from Lippert Components who had the needed shoulder bolt in stock. I have read of others being able to find a replacement bolt at Lowes or Home Depot type stores.

THe hardest part of the job was setting the gear in the right tooth so the step travel was uniform in both directions. If you are off a tooth or 2 the motor will continue to run once the step travel has stopped.

Here is a link Lippert, they have 4 different style of bolts. Sorry but for some reason their site wont let me link directly to the bolts:
http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFr...ount2=19431710
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
sdennislee......Thanks....it looks like the 5/8" bolt is the one I need. Good news is that that they have it, the bad news is I can't get it here before we leave Tuesday. I'll order one tonight and make something for the trip. Thanks for the tip on taking the threaded end out the top.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I sued zip ties to hold mine in place. Mine broke on the ALCAN so no way I was getting a bolt before I got home to Anchorage. Good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don,
Just leave the steps in and use a 5 gal paint bucket ... your DW will love ya !!
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It made me nuts to have it broken all weekend and not be able to fix it. I did use two hose clamps around the arms to keep it up on the ride home. Its a looooooong step to the ground.

I ordered a new bolt this evening, but will have to weld one up for our trip to the FMCA Rally next week in Indio. It was $58.00 in shipping to get one by Monday.....I can wait.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Was that installed for $58.00?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #8

Lippert bought the step manufacturing from SCS about 3 years ago. Shoulder bolts can be purchased from any good bolt shop. Fastenal, Grainger, etc.. BTW: Lippert has grown in the RV industry by about 10,000 %. They are making suspension systems, trailer chassis, slideouts and even take the Freightliner chassis and do all the outrigger or raised rail modifications. They are the RV equivalent of Magna in the auto industry.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone.....I found the correct size shoulder bolt at Ace Hardware, but it was an inch to short. Lippert is shipping me the correct bolt, but I was able to construct a temporary bolt out of a 3.5" x 1/2" bolt and then slid a 5/8" metal sleeve over it.

While I was playing with the step, I realized that all of the bronze bushings at the 12 pivot points on the 2 step model are replaceable. Lippert has those for $2.25 each. I ordered those today also. Hopefully my step will work and be as sturdy as it was when it was new.

"sdennislee" ....Thanks again for the info......its nice to know we can still get ALL of the step parts. "moisheh".....even though I'm just outside of Los Angeles, its tough to find anything unless I actually go into downtown. My really good bolt and steel store went out of business.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have a safe trip