Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Broken Screen Door Screen Frame

Hey Folks,

I have an 04 Monaco Windsor. My screen door has the removable screen panel. The screen itself has a broken joint.

I have contacted Monaco Parts and they say it was an inhouse part and that they do not have a replacement. or a source for getting one.

My search of the forums doesn't turn up anything newer than 2009 and they got the replacement from Monaco.

I wondered where anyone has found replacement screen frames or more specifically the plastic pieces that hold the aluminum frame together.

If neither are available I can possibly weld the frame or try to find a small piece of angled metal and rivet it together. I just hate rattles and wanted a solution so DW will stop asking about the missing screen.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050782.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	65148  
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #2

I would take it to a local window company in your area and let them look at it. I bet they will have a solution
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My screen door is missing so I'd be interested in what you found.
yankeeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same missing screen. There IS a screen slot around the main frame. I went to Lowes and bought a re screening kit that had three different spline diameters. The .125" worked perfectly. The only downside is not being able to remove it.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike,I'll check it out.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Take the entire screen door to a "screen shop". They should be able to repair the old frame for $25 or less, build a new frame for $100 or less and my preference would be installing new screen in the actual door for $100 or less.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again Mike...I bought the kit at Lowes and made up a new one.Looks great !
Rick
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yankeeflyer:
Glad it worked for you! Safe travels and keep the shiny side up....
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbodywork View Post
Hey Folks,

I have an 04 Monaco Windsor. My screen door has the removable screen panel. The screen itself has a broken joint.

I have contacted Monaco Parts and they say it was an inhouse part and that they do not have a replacement. or a source for getting one.

My search of the forums doesn't turn up anything newer than 2009 and they got the replacement from Monaco.

I wondered where anyone has found replacement screen frames or more specifically the plastic pieces that hold the aluminum frame together.

If neither are available I can possibly weld the frame or try to find a small piece of angled metal and rivet it together. I just hate rattles and wanted a solution so DW will stop asking about the missing screen.

Thanks in advance.

How's it look? Did you fix it? If possible can you post pics. My frame cracked in the same spot....
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just fixed mine

Hey there,

Last trip out last year one of the kids shut the screen door and then "Daddy, the screen is on the ground!" It fell out because several of the keepers were already broken. When it hit the ground it broke just like the OP's. They are just mitre cut aluminum pieces with plastic insets pressed in for the specific angles.

Luckily for me, I have a TIG welder so I just prepped it and welded it just like the full screen door is. Then I rescreened it and moved some of the lower holder clips to replace the broken ones. Good as new.

So I would seek out a local welder who can TIG aluminium and fix it permanently. It should not cost an arm and a leg. IMHO. I'd say the whole job with new screen is worth $100. Just have to keep the weld out of the spline groove.

Hope it helps
dieselbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our screen insert was missing when we got the mh, I just contacted a local glass shop and they will make me a new insert for $40 complete, I'm on my way out to remove the screen door and bring it to the shop, it'll be done by the end of the day
Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Had same problem but worse. When the little sack of $"!+ threw a cinder block through side Window to steal a TV the frame broke in three places. Took all apart, removed old plastic corners and fabricated new ones of 1/4 ply. Some JB veld and black spray paint new screen. Cost $16. Replaced side Window glad with windshield pane--try to get through that you jerk.
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
By chance can you build new screes to fit from the stock found at HD or Lowe's? They have two sizes and the corner inserts available. Also I think they have the stay clips.

Rick Y
Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #14

Problem is in making the angle on front side of frame. About 15 degrees if I remember right. Just big enough that HD or Lowes stock won't quite bend right.
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, scr