Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
hpykmpr47, how did you do with the cable change?
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
hpykmpr47, how did you do with the cable change?

I replaced it yesterday and it went okay I guess. Next one if it happens will go better as I will know what I will have to do. My biggest gripes are there is no room to work above the slide and I will never understand why when a coach builder hides something in such a place why the heck don't they make it so that it can be easily accessed . Oh yea you can get to it but nails and silicone in my view do not take the place of latches.I chalked it all down to another learning experience. Next stop Fraser Rv in Bedford Nova Scotia to find out what the heck is wrong with another of our slides. ....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Is our Navastar Monaco full wall slide cables made by "Norco Industries"? deSanford Maybe I should order a spare cable.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Is our Navastar Monaco full wall slide cables made by "Norco Industries"? deSanford Maybe I should order a spare cable.
Actually I think they are made by Accu=Slide. At least the slide out ....is made by Accu-Slide, I just called Monaco parts dept and they sent me one as our coach is under warranty.Their part # is S08410975. I'm not sure but I think all eight cables may be the same as the one that broke on our coach was an upper cable and the one they sent me was about 5 feet too long so I suspect it would have been long enough for the lower cable replacement as well.......Alan
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Alan.........what if anything are you going to do to prevent this from happening again? deSanford
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Alan.........what if anything are you going to do to prevent this from happening again? deSanford
Not sure there is anything that I can do. I checked to make sure the cable was aligned with the hole in the side of the coach when it is almost in and it seems to be aligned good so I do not know of anything else to check....Alan
Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I "had" lots of problems with my full wall slide, but this last trip to the service center in Coburg, ORE. I believe (hope) corrected the issues with the slide. Did you know this unit started out as a Cayman then a Knight, and now we saw a Diplomat. As you might have guess the MSRP is up to around $360,000.00. People really like the shorter coach with the full wall slide. Our little left over Cummins ISB340 6.7L engine from Monaco's Bankruptcy now gets up to 15.2MPG going 55MPH, going down hill it averages 9,999MPG. I have one of the new Scan Gauge "D" units. One of the BEST items at the lowest price I've gotten so far. deSanford
Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Back on topic

Alan do you know what caused the cable to fail? deSanford
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Alan do you know what caused the cable to fail? deSanford

No I do not , I read on here in someones post that if it broke close to the slide it was because the cable was not aligned correctly with the hole in the side of the RV but that does not appear to be the cause as it seems to be aligned correctly....Alan
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you will just have to keep an eye on the new cable. My full wall slide moves, but it doesn't come in with "gusto" (speed). deSanford
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I didn't order the slide cable soon enough. Yes one of my cables on the dinette slide out frayed, but is still attached to outside upper corner of slide. I see Amazon has them back ordered for around $19.00. deSanford NO TV until I get this fixed.....unless I want to watch the bedroom TV.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpykmpr47 View Post
I will never understand why when a coach builder hides something in such a place why the heck don't they make it so that it can be easily accessed .
That I can answer, 2 ways.

First the funny way: Google The Designer Jordan Kare

Dr. Kare is a genuine rocket scientist by the way (The kind that has projects orbiting the earth) I believe is current project is a steam powered rocket, The plan is to fill the rocket's fuel tank with water, Freeze it, and shoot a high power laser at it and turn the ice to high temp steam and shoot that back out the tail.. Who knows, might work.

The more likely answer:

By making it hard or hopefully impossible for YOU to work on it they guarantee work for their dealers servicign the device.

I'm fond of describing heater core replacement in a 1970's ford v's a 1998

70s "hemostat" the hoses, loosen the hose clamps and remove, remove about a dozen srews, lift the core out and drop the new one in, replace screws, re-attch hoses, tighten hose clamps remove hemostat clamps and top off coolant.

Today: Evaucate air conditioner, disconnect lines at firewall and seal, Disassemble dash (Passanger side) Hemostat hoses (As above) loosen hose clamps and remove, Slice air conditioenr evaporator out on it's rails and remove heater core from behind it.

When re-assembling do not forget to evuacate the Air conditioner lines for at least 30 mintues with a vacuum pump, don't forget to charge for the 30 minutes either.

See what i mean by "It would be too easy, and not make enough added income for the shop".
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Alan,
You didn't happen to take any pictures of removing the cover section did you? If not, maybe a more detailed explanation of the process of prying it off.
While my cable is not broken yet, at some point I will be facing the same issue. I would like to be prepared.

Thanks...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Alan,
You didn't happen to take any pictures of removing the cover section did you? If not, maybe a more detailed explanation of the process of prying it off.
While my cable is not broken yet, at some point I will be facing the same issue. I would like to be prepared.

Thanks...

No pictures, the way that I did it was I took a thin table knife and slid it under the bottom edge between the cover and the chase of one end and pried out. Some of them came off harder than others mainly because of the silicone caulk they used . The pin nails came out fairly easily or they just pullet through the covers.Dont use your wife's good silverware because I broke two knives before finding one that was strong enough to do the job. The biggest problem with ours was in the bedroom the slide does not go out far enough to allow exposure of the bottom edge of the covers so I had to do it from the rear end of the rear cover as that was the only place that I could get the knife under. After I got the rear one off it allowed me to get the knife under the rear edge of the next ones.. Needless to say I did not attach the covers with silicone and pin nails when I put them back on. I hope you never have to replace one of your cables but if you do I hope this helps.......Alan

Tags
slideout