Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Buy 1998 40' Monaco Dynasty PBS

I am looking at a 40 foot Monaco Dynasty PBS
They are asking 30K US for the unit.
It has the 7.3L 325 HP Cummins and a 6 speed Allison Transmission.
54,000 miles.
It has a 10,000 lb hitch.

It currently has 2 leaks near the front that the shop is looking at. These were found with a moisture meter.

It looks in good shape with regards to paint.

It is currently being sold on consignment.

I plan to tow a 24 foot car hauler with this RV on a trailer toad. http://www.trailertoad.com/

Questions.
  1. Any issues with the Cummins 7.3. Will I be able to tow the trailer with this engine?
  2. Tires. Rear tires Some are showing weather cracks on outside tires. They can not see inside tires. Fronts apparently look fairly new. Should I be concerned about these rear tires. What do tires cost?
  3. What is the general quality of these units and does Monaco still carry parts for them?
  4. Anyone have experience with the trailer toad. It looks like it might definitely help take the load off the back of the RV. Will it help with tracking and sway.
  5. Does a RV this large with no tag axle have excessive sway?
  6. Is 30K US a good price for this unit?

Thanks,

Colin
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2162 View Post
54,000 miles.

It currently has 2 leaks near the front that the shop is looking at. These were found with a moisture meter.

I plan to tow a 24 foot car hauler with this RV on a trailer toad. http://www.trailertoad.com/

Questions.
  1. Any issues with the Cummins 7.3. Will I be able to tow the trailer with this engine?
  2. Tires. Rear tires Some are showing weather cracks on outside tires. They can not see inside tires. Fronts apparently look fairly new. Should I be concerned about these rear tires. What do tires cost?
  3. What is the general quality of these units and does Monaco still carry parts for them?
  4. Anyone have experience with the trailer toad. It looks like it might definitely help take the load off the back of the RV. Will it help with tracking and sway.

Thanks,

Colin
Colin, double check that engine, it's probably an 8.3 liter. That year could be mechanical or electronic as they changed over right around then. You can go here to check out the engine. Sign up and enter the serial number.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Either engine is probably reliable, but the electronic engine has a troublesome injector system. I have that engine on my coach and it's been reliable, but its something to be aware of. I think the odds are that a '98 is mechanical.

Dynasty's are good coaches and that one could be a good buy if it has a slide and its in good condition. They were in the upper tier of Monaco's lineup. If its a non-slide model, that price is way too high.

Check the date codes on the tires. Anything over 6 years should be replaced sooner rather than later. I go seven years on mine.

Monaco still stocks a lot of the unique parts. Most are generic anyway so parts are not generally a problem.

I've pulled a 4500lb toad with no issues.

Mine is a good driving coach, but like anything there are ways to spend money to improve the ride and handling. Check out this forum for a couple threads on swapping the steering gear and adding cross braces and watts link.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Weather checked tires are a definite liability. I would not travel on them. New tires will cost you $400-$500 each.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

Thanks Dennis.. or Kathy .

It does have one slide.

I also just received the photo of the vin and its actually a 38' Dynasty PBS. So it looks like its high anyway.

It looks in good shape. Got some more pictures. Needs the pull out couch replaced or reupholstered. Other than that it looks in fine shape.

I have asked Monaco for any information they have so I think they will be able to tell me what the motor really is.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Thanks Dennis.. or Kathy .

It does have one slide.

I also just received the photo of the vin and its actually a 38' Dynasty PBS. So it looks like its high anyway.

It looks in good shape. Got some more pictures. Needs the pull out couch replaced or reupholstered. Other than that it looks in fine shape.

I have asked Monaco for any information they have so I think they will be able to tell me what the motor really is.

Thanks.
There should be a data card glued into one of the cabinets in the bedroom which tells you what systems you had installed.

Even a 38' coach for $30K is a good price if it is in good condition.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
Weather checked tires are a definite liability. I would not travel on them. New tires will cost you $400-$500 each.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like 6 years is maximum on tires. Last thing we need is a blow out on a 30,000 lb vehicle.

I have a lot to learn....
Old 03-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
The weight of the vehicle isn't the problem when you have a blowout. It's the $10,000-$30,000 damage it does to the coach that's the problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
54,000 miles.

I plan to tow a 24 foot car hauler with this RV on a trailer toad. TrailerToad.com

Questions.

Thanks,

Colin
Overall a great coach, but I may be a bit biased.

To answer your questions:

1. Already answered, but this is in fact an 8.3 liter not a 7.3 liter engine. No issues to speak of. I have seen dozens and dozens of coaches with this engine at the track and at the dunes pulling large race trailers around.

2. Cracks period are not good and I would replace. In my opinion even if the DOT code dates are in range I would still replace with cracks showing. Not worth the risk.

3. Great coach. Most parts can be sourced through many other sources than the OEM. I have owned several orphan coaches and no issues with getting parts but at times you have to be a bit creative.

4. Trailer Toads are a nicely built unit and do help with tongue weight. I've seen many at the track but have not personally used one. I have found I can usually move things around in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight most of the time.

5. I don't know what you would consider "excessive" sway but they generally handle well. There is a bit of wandering that can be had with the non-tag Roadmaster chassis but can be addressed easily enough. Look at a link titled "Wandering, sway and ride height" for a lot of details. Or I have a link to the Watts installation that I built and installed on my coach, although mine is an S-Series tag axle coach. I had a non-tag Gillig chassis under my last 38' coach and it did very well even without the tag or mods that I have done to this coach.

6. Price is subjective. If it has the amenities and is in acceptable condition that isn't a bad price but still very subjective to each buyer.

Good luck.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

To answer your questions:

1. Already answered, but this is in fact an 8.3 liter not a 7.3 liter engine. No issues to speak of. I have seen dozens and dozens of coaches with this engine at the track and at the dunes pulling large race trailers around.

2. Cracks period are not good and I would replace. In my opinion even if the DOT code dates are in range I would still replace with cracks showing. Not worth the risk.

3. Great coach. Most parts can be sourced through many other sources than the OEM. I have owned several orphan coaches and no issues with getting parts but at times you have to be a bit creative.

4. Trailer Toads are a nicely built unit and do help with tongue weight. I've seen many at the track but have not personally used one. I have found I can usually move things around in the trailer to adjust the tongue weight most of the time.

5. I don't know what you would consider "excessive" sway but they generally handle well. There is a bit of wandering that can be had with the non-tag Roadmaster chassis but can be addressed easily enough. Look at a link titled "Wandering, sway and ride height" for a lot of details. Or I have a link to the Watts installation that I built and installed on my coach, although mine is an S-Series tag axle coach. I had a non-tag Gillig chassis under my last 38' coach and it did very well even without the tag or mods that I have done to this coach.

6. Price is subjective. If it has the amenities and is in acceptable condition that isn't a bad price but still very subjective to each buyer.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the input. Especially the comments on tires. They will get replaced in the deal or shortly afterwards.

Now another question.

Someone murdered the passenger side (starboard) couch. It looks like it got stabbed about 18 or 20 times and it does not look repairable. It might be able to be reupholstered but either way it needs to get out of the coach to be repaired or replaced.

How does one go about doing that in this coach?

Thanks,

Colin
Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Especially the comments on tires. They will get replaced in the deal or shortly afterwards.

Now another question.

Someone murdered the passenger side (starboard) couch. It looks like it got stabbed about 18 or 20 times and it does not look repairable. It might be able to be reupholstered but either way it needs to get out of the coach to be repaired or replaced.

How does one go about doing that in this coach?

Thanks,

Colin
If it's a jackknife sofa, you can disconnect the back from the seat to make it easier. If it's the J couch, then you just have to wrestle it out the door. You might need to remove the front seat in that case.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You've received excellent advice on here. To remove the couch, you may have to disconnect the front door retaining mechanism and swing the door out and tie it to the mirror. Then pull the passenger seat all the way back. If this isn't enough room, you may have to remove the passenger seat. Oh, and if there is a magazine rack in front of the passenger seat remove it also.

Mike is correct. You definitely have a Cummins 8.3L engine and an Allison MD3060 transmission. Just need to find out if the engine is electronic (ISC) or C8.3 mechanical. They are both great.
It will tow your 24' trailer just fine without a trailer toad. The trailer toad will just add more gross weight. The guys I see using a trailer toad are pulling 30' stacker trailers that have over 2000# of tongue weight. I pulled a 28' trailer with a Monaco Windsor that is very similar to your Dynasty. Like Mike says, just watch your tongue weight loading. Also stay away from the really steep mountain grades when it's over 100 degrees outside.

Make sure you thoroughly check the propane refrigerator, Trace inverter, both air conditioners, 4-button thermostat, propane heater, Onan generator, Suburban hot water heater, toilet and area around it, and the shocks and air bags on the suspension. These are great coaches, but they need regular care and updates at this point. Be prepared to spend at least $10k on tires and improvements.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post

Good luck.
Mike,

I looked at that link. Thank you for directing me there. Very helpful and its something to read for anyone considering buying a Monaco coach with a roadmaster non-tag 8 bag frame make prior to the early 2000's. After that they changed the bushings which partially fixed the problem but more is needed.

159 pages. By the time I read to page 20 or so I was ready to give up on this coach. Apparently some of these pre-2000 coaches are simply a nightmare to drive due to Monaco's chassis set up. White knuckled all the way, can't even take your hand off the wheel to adjust the radio. After 2-3 hours your exhausted.

And a quote from post 28 in the thread,

I also read that the president of Monaco RV took his family on a trip in one of his company's brand new coaches, and he was very unhappy with the handling, saying that he couldn't lift one hand off the steering wheel long enough to have a drink of water.

People were/are spending thousands to fix this to no avail.

I was thinking no way am I prepared to drive a 40' cracker box on wheels as one person has called it, that will not go straight down the road and gets blown all over the place by some thing as small as a large pickup truck ( one poster's experience).

I was thinking I would need to go to a fifth wheel which I really don't want to do...

Monaco acknowledges the problem but says "Thats how it is, live with it"

Luckily I kept on reading. I am still not 1/2 way through but it comes down to a flaw in how the running gear is attached to the frame. Short answer, it can be completely fixed but its not cheap. Need to replace all the chassis bushings and add a couple of Watts links to the front and rear under carriage. I would expect that by the time is all done, unless you are handy its a 4K to 5 K job.

Anyone reading this who has one of these coaches or is considering buying one should read this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wand...my-124491.html

I will likely make an offer on the coach but it will be reflective of this condition and the cost to fix.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mike,

I looked at that link. Thank you for directing me there. Very helpful and its something to read for anyone considering buying a Monaco coach with a roadmaster non-tag 8 bag frame make prior to the early 2000's. After that they changed the bushings which partially fixed the problem but more is needed.

159 pages. By the time I read to page 20 or so I was ready to give up on this coach. Apparently some of these pre-2000 coaches are simply a nightmare to drive due to Monaco's chassis set up. White knuckled all the way, can't even take your hand off the wheel to adjust the radio. After 2-3 hours your exhausted.

And a quote from post 28 in the thread,

I also read that the president of Monaco RV took his family on a trip in one of his company's brand new coaches, and he was very unhappy with the handling, saying that he couldn't lift one hand off the steering wheel long enough to have a drink of water.

People were/are spending thousands to fix this to no avail.

I was thinking no way am I prepared to drive a 40' cracker box on wheels as one person has called it, that will not go straight down the road and gets blown all over the place by some thing as small as a large pickup truck ( one poster's experience).

I was thinking I would need to go to a fifth wheel which I really don't want to do...

Monaco acknowledges the problem but says "Thats how it is, live with it"

Luckily I kept on reading. I am still not 1/2 way through but it comes down to a flaw in how the running gear is attached to the frame. Short answer, it can be completely fixed but its not cheap. Need to replace all the chassis bushings and add a couple of Watts links to the front and rear under carriage. I would expect that by the time is all done, unless you are handy its a 4K to 5 K job.

Anyone reading this who has one of these coaches or is considering buying one should read this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wand...my-124491.html

I will likely make an offer on the coach but it will be reflective of this condition and the cost to fix.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin, I realize that there are comments all over the place on the subject but I have found my experience to be somewhat in the middle. I have driven non-tag Roadmaster RR8R chassis and although they don't handle quite as well as my S-Series even before the mods, I didn't think they were quite as bad as some of the other members experiences or reports though, but I am also quite familiar with driving large vehicles compared to many people who come to these large RV's directly from a sedan or pickup.

My suggestion is drive for yourself before you discount owning a Monaco coach. That way YOU are deciding rather than taking others words for it.

Now for the tag axle coaches, I was very happy with my Dynasty but now after doing my chassis mods I would put the ride and handling up against my buddies Newell any day of the week.

I know a lot of people who have fifth wheel trailers and I have towed them for a while as well but everyone's travel needs and wants are different but for me and my wife and our experience after traveling via Class A pusher for the past 16+ years now, I will never own anything else.

Your experience may differ though. Again, you must decide what is best for you which can/will be different than others.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco