Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Arrow Buying a 2006 Monaco Executive, 525 ISX, 4000 Allison, 40'

Wanted to introduce my self as a potential Owner within the next 2 weeks.

The Ranier IV will be inspected next week, and If all goes well, my wife and I will be driving her back home to Northern CA.

I asked about Chassis Questions in another Forum, but is there anything I should look out for inside the Motorhome?

The owner will be going over most items, but in 06' is there anything I should look out for?

It has been kept in very good shape. The current owners say they are meticulous about keeping her clean, and all the maintenance up to date...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	165295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9262.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	165296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSRp.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	610.8 KB
ID:	165302  
Attached Images

Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Beautiful Coach. A Local coach for me. I believe your buying Right. Pre DEF, Pre regen exhaust, and after 05 the ceiling height improved. Hope all service records are present.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Happy for you cuz these are AWESOME coaches out of that era. Electronics upgrades, like tvs, microwave, radio navigation, satellite, are really the only dated things about these rigs. Steel superstructure, quality in all interior materials make these a truly timeless coach. Like a well built stick house, you have something to work with for many years to come. ISX had trouble once they went to DPF, and DEF, but ours are trouble free. Do your due diligence in making sure you service all fluids and filters if not done already as time dictates that and not miles, also replace the shocks with Source Engineering built Bilsteins when you are ready. We just got back from a 5,000 mile 8 week trip and can't quit smiling from how nice our ride and drive quality was as well as our "accommodations" each night. One other thing, you may want to replace the starter with a Denso gear reduction one as these were known to come under startered. You will be able to tell if it sounds like your batteries are half dead each time you start it. Randy
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Mist View Post
Wanted to introduce my self as a potential Owner within the next 2 weeks.

The Ranier IV will be inspected next week, and If all goes well, my wife and I will be driving her back home to Northern CA.

I asked about Chassis Questions in another Forum, but is there anything I should look out for inside the Motorhome?

The owner will be going over most items, but in 06' is there anything I should look out for?

It has been kept in very good shape. The current owners say they are meticulous about keeping her clean, and all the maintenance up to date...

As an "inside the coach" issue. Make sure all functions of the multiplex control system are working. Once the coach belongs to you, make it a priority the learn the system and make sure you have the system backed up so if there is ever a problem with the CPU of the system you have a reasonable way to recover.

These are great coaches. Enjoy.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #5

I am also new here and just purchased a 2004 Signature, looks a lot like the one you are looking at except a few years older. Owning a used Monaco has been both awesome and a pain all at once. We looked at our coach twice before buying, yet there were still issues and parts that needed attention after we brought our Sig home. I got a great deal which makes the repairs and maintenance I am now doing worth it. I gather mine has suffered from lack of TLC mostly. Take a good flashlight and look it over really well. Even so there will be stuff you wont notice until after you own it. Ours, the tag axle lift system didn't work. The fuel gauge only worked part ways. Outside awnings, the plastic ends are all cracked, so they look and work fine, then poof, they break. I just patched one up last night! The was a ton of stuff we needed to give TLC. To date still learning and finding stuff.

Just know that owning one of these there will be maintenance, there will be stuff in a coach that age that will need attention, and trust me there will be stuff you find that you never saw!!!

On to the good stuff!!! The ISX 525 is awesome! The motor and the Allison 4000 are a wonderful combo to drive, I love ours. We live in the mountains and travel to and from the mountain to go anywhere. Our roads are steep and my old gas motorhome would overheat on all three ways home. Now, with the 525 towing 9K is no issue any way home. The engine brake is AWESOME! It has a high/low switch and then activates via foot switch. Leaving home any of the three routes, the engine brake holds us at any speed we want even towing. The chassis on the coaches are second to none. They ride and drive great. All in all I think for me the drive train sold this Sig for me. The inside sold my wife. All the bells and whistles and features are numerous and awesome.

The best advise is to keep IRV2 handy, it has saved me several times already and I have learned so much here about my coach. SEARCH has saved my sanity!

Good luck!!
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

OceanMist,

Best wishes to you and yours in the acquisition of this beautiful Monaco coach. I share the sentiment of everyone who has posted so far.

Once you take possession and once that "big smile" subsides somewhat, break out the manuals and get to learn the '06 Executive. There should be a lubrication manual; therefore, read it with intensity and do not hesitate to crawl under the beast and identify the air springs and condition (take note of the manufacturer and model number), all lube points starting with the steering shaft and working back to the drive shaft, and the shocks. I presume you already know the date code of all tires.

There are going to be technical issues and so try to be as proactive as you can because the pocketbook is at stake. These coaches are not simplistic in nature and will challenge your resolve to keep them maintained.

This forum offers a plethora of information to the novice and the experienced and so take advantage by asking questions and clarification of answers provided if necessary.

Research an issue and see if there are historical answers because this will provide you with a foundation. Sometimes you will find that nothing exists and that's okay. Someone on this forum may have a definitive response to what you are seeking.
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Beautiful Coach. A Local coach for me. I believe your buying Right. Pre DEF, Pre regen exhaust, and after 05 the ceiling height improved. Hope all service records are present.
Thanks I tried to do as much research prior to deciding on my Rig. It did seem better in our price range to shop for a older 05 08' as apposed to a newer unit.

We heard that the tag will help during long trips with stability and comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
Happy for you cuz these are AWESOME coaches out of that era. Electronics upgrades, like tvs, microwave, radio navigation, satellite, are really the only dated things about these rigs. Steel superstructure, quality in all interior materials make these a truly timeless coach. Like a well built stick house, you have something to work with for many years to come. ISX had trouble once they went to DPF, and DEF, but ours are trouble free. Do your due diligence in making sure you service all fluids and filters if not done already as time dictates that and not miles, also replace the shocks with Source Engineering built Bilsteins when you are ready. We just got back from a 5,000 mile 8 week trip and can't quit smiling from how nice our ride and drive quality was as well as our "accommodations" each night. One other thing, you may want to replace the starter with a Denso gear reduction one as these were known to come under startered. You will be able to tell if it sounds like your batteries are half dead each time you start it. Randy
Thanks Randy for all that detailed info! It is again nice to know that these coaches are more trouble free than their newer counterparts. I will pay special attention to the electronics, and see where upgrades are necessary. I have my job ahead of me... Take for example the Aladdin system. It's about 11 years old and may need some attention. I'm curious how the silver

I'm glad you guys had a great time with your last trip. I think it is so kool that we have a model specific place to discuss our rigs.

I am hands on, and will have to go thru every system and know it intimately before our first trip, and this forum is invaluable in aiding us to that end.

I'll also look at that Denso Starter. Thank you for that possible issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
As an "inside the coach" issue. Make sure all functions of the multiplex control system are working. Once the coach belongs to you, make it a priority the learn the system and make sure you have the system backed up so if there is ever a problem with the CPU of the system you have a reasonable way to recover.
These are great coaches. Enjoy.
Thank yo my friend, I will check on that multiplex system. I am curious because I would like to be prepared, but can you give me a few examples of an issue with a CPU and how you backed it up? That info would help me greatly and will be one of the first things I get Squared away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMThomas View Post
I am also new here and just purchased a 2004 Signature, looks a lot like the one you are looking at except a few years older. Owning a used Monaco has been both awesome and a pain all at once. We looked at our coach twice before buying, yet there were still issues and parts that needed attention after we brought our Sig home. I got a great deal which makes the repairs and maintenance I am now doing worth it. I gather mine has suffered from lack of TLC mostly. Take a good flashlight and look it over really well. Even so there will be stuff you wont notice until after you own it. Ours, the tag axle lift system didn't work. The fuel gauge only worked part ways. Outside awnings, the plastic ends are all cracked, so they look and work fine, then poof, they break. I just patched one up last night! The was a ton of stuff we needed to give TLC. To date still learning and finding stuff.

Just know that owning one of these there will be maintenance, there will be stuff in a coach that age that will need attention, and trust me there will be stuff you find that you never saw!!!

On to the good stuff!!! The ISX 525 is awesome! The motor and the Allison 4000 are a wonderful combo to drive, I love ours. We live in the mountains and travel to and from the mountain to go anywhere. Our roads are steep and my old gas motorhome would overheat on all three ways home. Now, with the 525 towing 9K is no issue any way home. The engine brake is AWESOME! It has a high/low switch and then activates via foot switch. Leaving home any of the three routes, the engine brake holds us at any speed we want even towing. The chassis on the coaches are second to none. They ride and drive great. All in all I think for me the drive train sold this Sig for me. The inside sold my wife. All the bells and whistles and features are numerous and awesome.

The best advise is to keep IRV2 handy, it has saved me several times already and I have learned so much here about my coach. SEARCH has saved my sanity!

Good luck!!

Wow what can I say? I guess I'm geting prepared for the issues to mount up when we get the Rig. However, we are taking some precautions with having Performance RV do a detailed Chassis and Coach inspection. They will be checking the Airbags, shocks, brakes, engine, and wheel bearings.

It's nice to know that your Rig can tow massive weight while traveling in the mountians and that it handles well and drives nice! That is also important to me.

One of our neighbors bought a 40' Thor Class A and it drove so bad in the wind that they finally sold it.

I will be finding out soon whats actually going on with the rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
OceanMist,

Best wishes to you and yours in the acquisition of this beautiful Monaco coach. I share the sentiment of everyone who has posted so far.

Once you take possession and once that "big smile" subsides somewhat, break out the manuals and get to learn the '06 Executive. There should be a lubrication manual; therefore, read it with intensity and do not hesitate to crawl under the beast and identify the air springs and condition (take note of the manufacturer and model number), all lube points starting with the steering shaft and working back to the drive shaft, and the shocks. I presume you already know the date code of all tires.

There are going to be technical issues and so try to be as proactive as you can because the pocketbook is at stake. These coaches are not simplistic in nature and will challenge your resolve to keep them maintained.

This forum offers a plethora of information to the novice and the experienced and so take advantage by asking questions and clarification of answers provided if necessary.

Research an issue and see if there are historical answers because this will provide you with a foundation. Sometimes you will find that nothing exists and that's okay. Someone on this forum may have a definitive response to what you are seeking.
Thanks for that information about the Greasing of the fittings! You know I don't mind that at all. I will acquire a pair of cover-alls at least to look the part...lol I It's nice to know all is lubed up when that big rig is going down the road.

I will go thru the manuals and try and decipher them. I will be with the Owner next weekend to pick up the rig if all goes well. he said he would walk thru all the systems with me. I need to ask him if there are any issues, and although he has had all services done, and changes his tires every 6 years, I'm sure there will be things he knows about, and may be reluctant to tell me.

Thank for going over all the basics with me. It seems normal when oe reads it, but I am making chart in my mind of things to do and it helps to be reminded of the simple things people forget to do.

When i get some time I will be researching some of the Pas Posts you guys have posted here to see the upgrades, and repairs you have done...

I want to be preventative for sure..

Thanks again nice meeting you.
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #8

Thank yo my friend, I will check on that multiplex system. I am curious because I would like to be prepared, but can you give me a few examples of an issue with a CPU and how you backed it up? That info would help me greatly and will be one of the first things I get Squared away.

The multiplex isn't particularly trouble prone but if it goes down it takes very specific knowledge to recover. I don't have a multiplex coach so my knowledge is from reading posts.

There is a member on the Monacoers group over on Yahoo who is very knowledgeable about the process of backing up or otherwise preparing for trouble with the multiplex. He may post here also. His name is Bill G and his screen name is hotrod. Just look for him. There is a company in Ohio City who are also expert.

I suggest you plan a trip to the Elkhart, IN area next May & attend the Rambling Pushers maintenance session. There will be over 200 coaches with similar construction & the entire session is dedicated to knowledge & maintenance.

http://www.ramblinpushers.org/index....8-registration
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Looks like and sounds like a good coach. There's plenty to check out, learn. If he has a the paperwork. Take time and go through it and look for obvious things, engine issues, any system replacement etc.
good luck hope to see you on the road!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That is a beautiful coach!!! Hope inspection goes well for you!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Wow, looks almost like my 05.

Look at the radiator for fin rot and leaks.

Look at the cooling fan for signs of leaks.

Crawling under the coach will be required to evaluate the radiator stuff. Also look at the cooling fan motor mount brackets. They can crack which can lead to the fan being pulled into the radiator. That will end your day and lighten your wallet!

Raise and lower the coach all the way, both extremes to confirm all the HWH air valves are working assuming it has that system. If not working one corner or another will not raise or lower depending on what valve is inop.

If possible try to level the coach on a visit and have them not start or relevel the coach for a couple of days. Then visually confirm the coach is still level and the same height as eherer you left it. This checks for suspension leaks. Don't use the auto leveling for this as auto leve l should keep it level ivfn if the system leaks.

If possible have t hem check the dash air pressures and at a minimum confirm it works.

Check for obvious denomination.

Check all battery storage areas and battery age. The main battery tray areas are problematic with regards to corrosion.

Check inverter works as well as the converter/charger operations.

After s hitting minimum of overnight, confirm engine and generators start easily, clean (no major puffs of smoke)and smooth.

At idle, walk outside the coach to the side radiator and make sure it's not howling. The fan is controlled by coolant temp and should be basically quiet at cold engine idle. They will however howl at full speed at hot temp. Thus system is good but does occasionally fail in the full on mode. It is very noticeable, scary loud and easy to spot if failed. Good news is though when they fail full on, the engine won't run hot.

Steering gearbox for leaks

Muffler for holes and mount brackets for condition.

Brakes for adjustment and front disks for heat checking, cracking.

Slide outs for smooth in and out movements. No banging or jerking.

Awnings fabric and stitching. Many times the stitching is falling apart on these older coaches.

Cruise control working.

These are things I have seen, read or learned about personally. I do very much appreciate the build sndf ride quality of the Monaco coaches.

Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

I have an excellent RV pre delivery inspection check list that is very extensive and thorough. It could be handy to use as you acquaint yourself with your coach. Great for creating PM lists too.
Send an email to; kreavet@aol.com and I will send anyone a copy.
saks1672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, allison