Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Buying our first RV

Newbie question,

Just joined, so thank you in advance!

We are currently looking at a 2003 Monaco DYNASTY and I was wondering if anyone was aware of any specific issues that we should be on the lookout for? I am planning on getting the rig to a certified shop, but I figured there is more specific knowledge here.

Hope to see on the road soon,

VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't remember hearing of any specific problems with that coach. Monaco made some quality products in the early 2000's!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Problems common to monaco & holiday rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris619 View Post
Newbie question,

Just joined, so thank you in advance!

We are currently looking at a 2003 Monaco DYNASTY and I was wondering if anyone was aware of any specific issues that we should be on the lookout for? I am planning on getting the rig to a certified shop, but I figured there is more specific knowledge here.

Hope to see on the road soon,

VChris
As a newbie 2003 Holiday Rambler owner, I need to make you aware these sister companies share 1 problem. They had a design flaw w/their slides which allowed water intrusion into the bottom (floor) of the slides. This eventually caused floor rot. You need to get the floor of the slides meticulously inspected for this problem. If it does have damage, there is a fix to stop the intrusion dead in its tracks. It's called Guardian plates.

I do not work for them!! I have no ties to the company! I was unfortunate enough to buy a motor home w/the beginning of this problem on both slides. I haven't installed the protective plates yet because I'm waiting on a break in the weather.

Good luck in your search.
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebonord View Post
As a newbie 2003 Holiday Rambler owner, I need to make you aware these sister companies share 1 problem. They had a design flaw w/their slides which allowed water intrusion into the bottom (floor) of the slides. This eventually caused floor rot. You need to get the floor of the slides meticulously inspected for this problem. If it does have damage, there is a fix to stop the intrusion dead in its tracks. It's called Guardian plates. ]

I do not work for them!! I have no ties to the company! I was unfortunate enough to buy a motor home w/the beginning of this problem on both slides. I haven't installed the protective plates yet because I'm waiting on a break in the weather.

Good luck in your search.
Guess what just got installed on my 03 today?
:-D

ill post some pics in morning

http://talinman.com/
Old 01-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #5

Hi Vchris; Been through your neck of the woods many times in Ca. You have asked the question that we can talk about for some time over a beverage! I love the Dynasty coaches. I have a Windsor. Same coach just not as much standard equipment that comes with the Dynasty. Great Roadmaster chassis with an outstanding coach build. As George mentioned, can have a problem with the bottom of the slides if the bottom seem was not maintained. Maintained is one of the BIGEST words I can think to tell you when looking at a used coach. Yes, if you are not up to speed mechanical and not a do it your selfer, get a coach inspection. Monaco coach's of that year are built rock solid. Even that won't make up for bad care and maintenance. Don't know what length and model you are looking at, but do your homework. A Dynasty of that year in good condition and maintained will serve you well. Might need some upgrades. Just build that into your budget. I could go on and write a long post, but I think you are looking at a great coach, IMHO. I love my Windsor. I am on my second one. First one was a tad too small but was a great buy because of the quality of the build. Have fun and ask lots of questions here. Just one thing extra. I am sure that year will have the 1200 series of Norcold 4 door refer. Lots of owners have upgraded to residential units because of bad performance and recalls. Make sure to have the refer checked out!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Guess what just got installed on my 03 today?
:-D

ill post some pics in morning

Home | TALIN Manufacturing
Thanks for the link. From the video it look like the design of my older slide. It is not a problem I have looking to head off. Prevention looks a lot easier than repair.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #7

Check the seam where the roof overlaps the side wall, especially above any slide outs. The slide topper can put extra strain on the screws underneath of the molding strip and cause it to pull away. My 2004 Executive had issues and there are many others on here that have had issues also. It is not a deal breaker but it does take some effort to fix so it won't happen again. It is visible if things are being pulled apart.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #8

We love our Dynasty, no regrets. It's an '09 and may not have a lot in common with the year you're looking at. One issue we have had is finding a shop that can work on the Roadmaster chassis. We have only found 2 shops anywhere near us that will work on it. That would only be an issue if you needed work done on it. We haven't, the chassis is solid, we just wanted the alignment checked, and it was still after all these years right on. Slide topper, we have one being adjusted due to it getting wound too tight. Your chassis most likely will not have the same Kongsberg chassis multiplex that we have, the design was only used on two production years, if there is one at all. It's been our biggest problem. The problem is finding a shop that has the software to work on it. We finally found a shop and the multiplex is now fixed. This is big. Many of Monaco's suppliers were burned during the bankruptcy and no longer have anything to do with Monaco, but I would not let that change your decision, just be aware of it. REV Group, who now owns Monaco, will most likely be your biggest problem. They are almost worthless if you need some info from them. Make sure you get as much product manuals that you can, at a 2003 most of the appliances and systems in the coach are no longer made, there are new models now that replaced them. Our chassis multiplex is no longer made, should the on board computer die, that will be the end of the coach. Some have heard that to replace the multiplex could run into $100k or more. Everything else can be fixed. Love the Dynasty, a solid coach, no regrets. Can't wait to get on the road again!
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our Dynasty last March. I had never owned a MH, but had previously owned two TT. I hope you are handy because you will need those skills, to keep any MH operating right.

That year coach should be very good, but was it maintained? You might want to have it inspected. Check out nrvia.org.

The rotting of slides bottoms as mentioned above, is a big problem. However Chris at Talon (guardian plates) told me in the Monaco line Dynasty and up, this usually is not an issue as they sealed the slide bottoms differently than other models. It wasn’t an issue on mine.

Look for delamination in the side walls. My has it and my inspector missed it. I would have bought the coach anyway, but had I known I would have bargained a better price. All you need do to check for delamination is use your hand pushing on the outside wall. If it gives, it is likely delaminated.

Make sure the inverter is working properly. It is a vital piece of equipment. My inspector was not familiar with it, and missed some issues I have had to deal with. Also make sure water pump functions properly, when using water in onboard tank. If you have Aquahot, get it checked out. Many inspectors aren’t familiar with them.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #10

Hello,
Excellent info, thank you. Also, where did you go to get the AquaHot inspected?
Thanks,
VChris
vchris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
As you can see below I love the older big Monaco products that include Beaver, Safari, and H R. Did not plan on ever getting rid of the Dynasty but our son decided he wanted it over a new Class C...smart boy.

Monaco made a lot of changes in the 03-04 Dynasty years. 350 HP to 400. LR slide from 18” to 34” deep. 2/3 slides to 4 slide option. AquaHot standard, not a option. 3 AC/heat pumps (not 2) and a 10K generator. Fortunately the RR10S chassis has remained much the same all the way up till 2011. Unlike many 40’ rigs of that age, the tag axle gives you a great handling rig with 9000 lbs of Cargo Carrying Capacity...CCC. You will not even know the Jeep is behind you.

Cannot tell how old and how you plan on using a RV...makes a big difference. It’s good that you’ve been getting educated over the last 6 months and are headed in the right direction BUT CA is probably the worst state for owning a big RV as most public CG have small sites. If you go over 40’ you will need a different driver’s license... not a big deal but a different test.

I made the mistake of starting with a 36’ DP and as you can see below I’ve gone to the max and we boondock often during the summer. Big tanks make for easy dry camping. AquaHots of that age are some of the best and in 14 years I never had a problem with mine. Only did 3 boiler nozzle replacements (when the diesel smell does not go away after the first minute) and 2 filters because the electric heating element and the engine (not the boiler) provided most of the heat...even when dry camping as you will need to run the generator several hours/day to keep the batteries charged.

A 03 Dynasty with 3 slides, 75K miles, 1000 hours on the generator and with tires less than 4 years old tires is a $50 to $60K rig if it has good maintenance records. DO NOT get hung up on any one coach...there are plenty of them out there. I’ve always felt the Dynasty gave the most bang for the buck of the big Monaco’s. I would have upgraded to a 06 Executive with a Detroit 60 engine but our Snowbird Park has a 10 year rule. Good Luck, make a list of rigs, take your time and you will know when the best deal comes along.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris619 View Post
Hello,
Excellent info, thank you. Also, where did you go to get the AquaHot inspected?
Thanks,
VChris
I would call Aqua Hot and ask them for a local AH factory authorized service center. They should be able to check it out or possibly refer you to a local AH mobile technician, who could come to the MH and check it out.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'd recommend you have the entire coach inspected, not just the Aqua Hot system. This way you know what you are getting into from the start.
Plan on spending $10k on fixes and updates, more if you pay someone else for labor.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #14

One thing to add on the inspection. We had an inspection, private, ex-Monaco employee, or so he said. He missed some things, nothing real major that would have changed our minds. He caught things that I didn't see. Said the AGM batteries tested good and had several years left on them. NO!! 8 AGM's and $3400 dollars later we have good batteries, well almost, see my "dead batteries" post. Anyway, be prepared to spend some money. We budgeted $50k for repairs and upgrades. It may sound like a lot, but it was way cheaper than a new 40 ft. plus, tag axle, bath and a half motorhome, which was our wish list and no compromise. We have a great Dynasty with new dishwasher, washer and dryer, new front tires and new batteries. And still way under the cost of a new coach, and no particle board. Solid cherry all the way through.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM 500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying