Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Cable Slide-Out

I just finished replacing the top rear cable of my bedroom curb side slide and just have a couple things to say about the issue......

Number 1: I would urge anyone with one of these setups to visually inspect the cable ends for fraying or binding where the mount onto the slide outside at least every other trip.

Number 2: If you hear any type of noise that you do not recognize while sliding, refer to Number 1.

Number 3: Check your cable alignment to make sure that it retracts straight and true through the side of the body. Misalignment is the primary cause of the cable failing.

Number 4. If you do see anything that needs to be replaced, do it NOW, before you break the cable and lose it inside the wall. If you do lose the cable in the wall, it will not be a nice job replacing it as threading the new cable is not fun (as has been pointed out in other posts) It is immensely easier to join the new and old cable and pull it through the system.

These cable slides are lightweight and I would guess cheaper than hydraulics so it makes sense for the factory to use them on smaller slides, but there is very little room to work on them when something goes wrong so preempt the issue whenever you can.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #2

I understand completely where you are coming from Ron...I look at those cables on every trip...and now I know who to call and who to come see if it happens to me...

Did you get the Dometic thing straightened out?...I know you needed a cooling unit and that they would pick up the tab...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogs1 View Post
I understand completely where you are coming from Ron...I look at those cables on every trip...and now I know who to call and who to come see if it happens to me...

Did you get the Dometic thing straightened out?...I know you needed a cooling unit and that they would pick up the tab...
Stu,
I think I am going to be out of town the week your cable breaks, but email me (so I can disappear).

My repair guy in Gardiner NY has supposedly ordered the cooling element from Dometic for my NDA1402 under my 3+3 warranty, but then went on a weeks vacation (deserved) so I am at a standstill. If I need to go out with the MH, I'll take the old dorm fridge with me...LOL
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote