Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Cam failure in 2000 Monaco Diplomat

Last summer I was driving my 2000 Monaco Diplomat 315 hp when the engine lost power. I thought it might be an injector as it felt like loosing a spark plug wire in a gasoline engine. However when the mechanic got to it he found 3 lobes of the camshaft severly rounded, one tappet broken and 2 others severely worn. I sent a letter to Cummins about this but got no reply so if anyone has had the same problem I would like to hear from you as no one seems to know how this could happen. I thought these engines were good for 500,000 miles and mine had only 50,000 at the time so I wasn't expecting a $6,000 repair bill.
JWoodham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #2

Can you give us any history? Are you the original owner? What kind of verified maintenance did the coach get? Did you ever have an overheat, or any caution lights recently? What kind of load are you pulling on a regular basis?

I have the same engine, and I will be curious to see if this is isolated.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

The cam lobe wear and tappet damage indicate lubrication failure. These questions come to mind:
Are you the original owner?
How often was the oil changed and what API service grade oil was used?
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

This can also be caused by incorrect heat treatment of the cam shaft when it was made. If you still have the old cam then have the Rockwell hardness checked. It would seem to me if it was a lubrication problem then it would have also resulted in failure of the rod bearings.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
This can also be caused by incorrect heat treatment of the cam shaft when it was made. If you still have the old cam then have the Rockwell hardness checked. It would seem to me if it was a lubrication problem then it would have also resulted in failure of the rod bearings.
My thinking is that a 12 year old coach (granted, I don't have mileage information) isn't likely to indicate a defective cam hardness. These types of failures usually come early in use.

Lubrication failure often shows up in the valve train. The lobes are not pressure lubricated and are subject to shearing of the lubrication film.

Just MHO after more than 30 years in the auto business (currently employed by a European manufacturer in the Service and Quality Group).
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Not sure that I can agree. First we don't know the mileage and it is probably pretty low mileage for a diesel. This probably just didn't happen in one trip but has been wearing for sometime. I am saying that the cam probably just wasn't hardened enough. Yes I agree that something may have blocked oil flow to the cam area so it lacked in lubrication. Whatever the problem is I hope they fixed it when replacing the cam or it may happen again.

I got your thirty years beat by twenty in hands on building of drag racing motors as well as tame everyday motors. Currently on a Swedish professional racing crew that races both in the USA and Europe
Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure that I can agree. First we don't know the mileage and it is probably pretty low mileage for a diesel. This probably just didn't happen in one trip but has been wearing for sometime. I am saying that the cam probably just wasn't hardened enough. Yes I agree that something may have blocked oil flow to the cam area so it lacked in lubrication. Whatever the problem is I hope they fixed it when replacing the cam or it may happen again.

I got your thirty years beat by twenty in hands on building of drag racing motors as well as tame everyday motors. Currently on a Swedish professional racing crew that races both in the USA and Europe
The OP said the coach had 50,000 miles at the time of the failure.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #8

That's not many miles on a diesel
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
That should just be starting to loosen up and run good not have problems like that.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #10

Okay, maybe not totally relevant, but I had a cam on a V8 chevy that wore down one lobe due to being improperly hardened. 1cam, 1 lifter, 1rocker arm, that was all.
This was at about 50K miles. It went another 210K miles before I sold it.
BTW, I am totally anal about oil and such.
It CAN happen.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That's not many miles on a diesel
Not disagreeing with you Mike. You said we did not know the miles and I was just pointing out that the OP said it had 50K at failure.

I have owned 4 diesels and 3 of them did not eve run good until they got 30K miles on them. The 4th was a motorhome that was so terrible I traded it after owning it for 3 months. It was new when we purchased it so did not have many miles at all.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #12

Thumbs down 315 Cummins cam failure

I had the same failure 3 years ago at 39,000 miles and $6,400 dollars later was back on the road. I now have 68,000 miles with, hopefully no further problems. I also bought a new exhaust manifold because the labor to install new or old was the same and they do crack. I hope to have no further engine problems until they take my keys away.
jdecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Assuming you're referring to the C-series (8.3L) Cummins, a little internet searching will reveal that camshaft wear wasn't unheard of on the older engines. The newer ISCs use roller cam followers.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #14

Also in the automotive industry for 25 years developing components and running engine dynos. I would say without knowing the history of this engine it could be either or. The improper hardening is very possible but surprises me that it happened all at once. The lack of lubrication is prob more common as we have no idea if this engine was serviced properly or ever had other issues such as a broken component that could have been fixed but left a broken piece lodged in the oil galley blocking it.
However if it is a lubrication problem hopefully they will find out why otherwise you will be fixing this engine again.

Tags
monaco