Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So sorry! If it had to happen, be glad you were not in the coach asleep! The coach can be replaced. Glad nobody was injured. We had a 07 Diplomat and had a "repair" done at the dealer that was suppose to eliminate this from happening. Just curious if that "repair" failed or maybe you never received a notice to have it done. Again, so glad nobody was hurt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #58

So sorry for your loss. I saw a FB post for a new product that might have made a difference. I haven't seen any US certification test and don't know if it would be effective (or the price). The product is a an "automatic" fire suppression system. Info at Proteng USA – Automatic fire suppression system
Mr.Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #59

If there is any positive to this whole deal, at least it happened at home. I'm a rookie here and have already read too many stories about people having to deal with huge problems like this from motel rooms in who knows where, or from a long distance after driving their toad home.

Hate that this happened to you and hope you get a new one that you love more than this one.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #60

Sorry for your loss, glad no one was hurt. We did the recall on our Norcold refrigerator and so far so good, but I do worry about it. I blow out the exhaust pipe every year. I also try to park the coach so the refrigerator is not in the heat of the day sun as we winter in AZ. Makes a difference and the refrigerator does not run as much as well.

Hopefully you will not have a battle with Insurance Company, good luck!
Gakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's sad to learn from other's situations, but this deserves serious thought for prevention by us owners...cannot count on the manufacturer or supplier to always act responsibly. That said, I'm making inquiries to Proteng tonight. For the cost I see online, this is cheap insurance.

We took delivery of our 2008 Winnebago from an original owner and on the first trip my wife said, "what's that smell"? Ended up it was a relay to the electric/gas water heater that fortunately burned totally through the wire before the plastic j-box ignited (WBGO failed to put a cover over the j-box, as well). We were just plain lucky.

The lesson is: protect your refrigerator, water heater and even the engine.

It's regrettable that someone has experienced such a loss but I'm thankful for the learning lesson shared in this Forum.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #62

This scares the hell out of me. I plan on traveling with my pets and if this had occurred with them inside... I cannot even finish that thought.
SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Glad your safe!

As everyone else has said, glad you weren’t in it. I have a Monaco with the Norcold refer as well. As many have said, they don’t cool very well in hot weather. I was thinking about installing 2 small fans just inside the outside cover (sucking air in) to help it cool better in the heat. I’m wondering if doing this would help prevent or start a Norcold fire? Would the fans essentially blow the flame out and then pump the raw propane throughout the coach?
Ken Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #64

Install a residential refrigerator, you will sleep much better!
Sorry about the loss, we junked our Norcold a year ago.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #65

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
[Moderator Edit] I'm super sorry. Besides the emotional attachment we feel towards our homes on wheels, the financial hit sucks.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #66

Some fiery comments...

We, like others here, truly sympathize with your loss and are glad nobody was hurt. That said, here are a few COANHW (Comments Of Absolutely No Help Whatsoever)...

• Your insurance will probably cover washing off the smoke.
  • There's an update to prevent this. It involves disconnecting all electric and propane and adding a large compartment for a block of ice.
  • If you stick a window in the hole you'll have that much more view.
  • Remember..."black is beautiful".
  • Hopefully you managed to get your turkey roasted before the FD finished.
  • You can hang a hinged sheet of plywood outside and have a really neat-o drop-down deck/balcony.
  • It may not be a total loss...does the horn still work?
  • I always thought "refer smoke" referred to something else.
  • Hopefully you hadn't stocked the fridge yet so you didn't lose your cold food.
  • Not the traditional method of smoking meats.
  • Gives me an idea for how I want to go out... Think "viking funeral".
  • Hmm... Could this be considered "flaming" commentary?
  • FD took 1.5 hours to put it out. Used to have a FD like that. Moved.
  • Consider installing an AED (Automatic Ejection Device).
  • You can fix anything with duct tape.
Ok, enough!

Again, glad nobody hurt (or worse).

Always remember: Life is too short to be taken seriously.

May the Lord bless and keep you and yours.
trayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I think the insurance companys AND the RV manufactures are both to blame.
The RV companys keep saying these 12V and Propane fridges are safe from fires. Then you see another recall almost every year.

If I was in the insurance business I'd have a Surcharge that would fat enough to make people NOT want a 12V or propane fridge.
Since a fridge failure would be likely to cause a total loss
I'd Multiply the standard policy price by 2 or 3 so that the choice would be
$1800-$2400 for a new residential fridge
OR
$1200-$2500 surcharge.

A 12V or propane fridge looks like a real convenience to me.
But as sloppy as I have seen them made. I'd NEVER buy one.
The insurance company is also to blame? Since half of us have this type and you want to triple our insurance rates? Great idea.......
Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #68

I believe in the science regarding how the Norcold 1200 absorption works, or doesn't work. I trust opinions which are based on science. My original 1200 worked GREAT for 7-1/2 years. I suspect it would've gone longer if the Fridge Defend by ARP safety device had been installed.
Right now, I'm wanting to learn more about the replacement cooling unit which is charged with helium instead of the flammable gas. What's the track record?
To the OP, I really feel bad about your pride and joy going up in smoke. I hope you have the agreed replacement value clause in your insurance policy.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
I believe in the science regarding how the Norcold 1200 absorption works, or doesn't work. I trust opinions which are based on science. My original 1200 worked GREAT for 7-1/2 years. I suspect it would've gone longer if the Fridge Defend by ARP safety device had been installed.
Right now, I'm wanting to learn more about the replacement cooling unit which is charged with helium instead of the flammable gas. What's the track record?
To the OP, I really feel bad about your pride and joy going up in smoke. I hope you have the agreed replacement value clause in your insurance policy.
That's where I'm at. I have a Norcold that's now 18 years old and going on 19 (!!) It has all the updates but I suspect getting that Amish Helium cooling unit would be a smart move.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #70

Camey's Last Ride.....

First I'm so very sorry to see your loss.

Mine failed due to the excessively high temps in Arizona starting in early June of 2017. I replaced it with a Samsung RF18 which runs flawlessly on my inverter.

As for the old Norcold 1200.... I was lucky, it didn't catch fire. The recall had never been performed.

Do yourself a favor. If your next coach has an absorption refrigerator, yank it and put in a Samsung with inverter technology. Its what the newer coaches and trailers have. You'll sleep better at night!

-Randy
Full time Rver and Workamper
2006 National Tradewinds
RandyKoth is offline   Reply With Quote