RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

Can I add batteries 4 a frig? 2003

Hey guys, I don't even know where to start. When we got back last year I tried to answer all my irv2 posts I made. Getting the jeep ready to tow was a nightmare. Anyway...

The thing is the Norcold frig has freaked me out again. I got a irv2 newsletter that said somebody lost everything in a fire. I can't deal with it anymore so I want to go residential.

I got a 2003 Signature, it has room for 4 6v AGM batteries in the exterior battery bay. My DH doesn't want the new frig cause then we can't boondock. My whole solar installation is screwed up right now. I'll need more panels and more batteries.

So where or how can I add batteries to the 2003 Signature to accommodate a residential refrigerator? I plan on getting a small one and keeping the draw underneath it, if its possible. Currently the shortest one I found was 69" T

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Hey guys, I don't even know where to start. When we got back last year I tried to answer all my irv2 posts I made. Getting the jeep ready to tow was a nightmare. Anyway...

The thing is the Norcold frig has freaked me out again. I got a irv2 newsletter that said somebody lost everything in a fire. I can't deal with it anymore so I want to go residential.

I got a 2003 Signature, it has room for 4 6v AGM batteries in the exterior battery bay. My DH doesn't want the new frig cause then we can't boondock. My whole solar installation is screwed up right now. I'll need more panels and more batteries.

So where or how can I add batteries to the 2003 Signature to accommodate a residential refrigerator? I plan on getting a small one and keeping the draw underneath it, if its possible. Currently the shortest one I found was 69" T
You should talk to JC Refrigeration, before you drive yourself crazy. He has conversion kits for your unit. They have 12 volt compressor , Helium filled units that cannot start fires, and regular units. You may want to get an ARP safety control.

Terry.

VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We boondock with a residential frig and four flooded house batteries. No issues except we run genset in morning and evening. I usually shut off frig before bed and start it in morning. We only have the OEM solar panel.

I have seen where the rear battery bay is converted to eight house batteries, four on reach tray, and the coach batteries are mounted in the engine bay. I would think you could find someone to do this for you.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #4

Thank you, I didn't think of putting the chassis batteries in the engine compartment. There is a lot to switch around though, Most of these guys are doing OJT. They are not that trust worthy but I have no choice.

What size battery bank do you have? I have 4 6v AGMs that give 440ah. I don't run them below 50%. The manufacturer told me you can run them all the way down though.

Say I just saw an Amana frig that shows 7 amps in the specs. Most show 15 amps or more. I wonder if this is a misprint or just incorrect.

Has anybody seen a residential fridge that low?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amana-2...?skuId=6191422
Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
pduggs has a point about shutting it off at night. As long as there are no multiple ice cream raids at 2am, it should stay plenty cold. We've done the overnight thing with just the standard 4 flooded batteries, too.

Not sure if the mfgr means the 7amp draw rating is continuous. I have a 19cf Whirlpool, and its steady draw is about 100 watts (less than an amp at 120vac) and only kicks up to maybe 350-400 watts during its defrost cycle.

If you can manage to do the residental frig, it'll be worth it!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
You should talk to JC Refrigeration, before you drive yourself crazy. He has conversion kits for your unit. They have 12 volt compressor , Helium filled units that cannot start fires, and regular units. You may want to get an ARP safety control.

Terry.
X2 Converted my Norcold to the 120 v JC Refrigeration compressor unit.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be watching this thread, I posted a similar question a while back and had minimal feedback.

My Norcold quite working last year, I already purchased a Samsung RF18. I will have to lower the furnace to get it to fit, it is possible but not for the faint of heart as you have to drill new holes for the furnace intake/exhaust to lower the furnace.

I currently have ~325 watt of solar, I could probably add another 200 watt.

I will probably buy and install a small 1000 watt PSW inverter just for the refrigerator that I can turn off/on. This would be more efficient then running the 2000 watt inverter all the time.

I was also contemplating moving the chassis battery to the engine compartment, shouldn't be too bad since you could use the existing battery posts and run longer/larger cables to the batteries. I could then mount at least 2 more 6 volt batteries in the batter compartment.

If it is warm out and boon docking we are pretty much forced to run generator and AC for the dogs anyway so I don't think it will impact our generator usage that much.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
X2 Converted my Norcold to the 120 v JC Refrigeration compressor unit.
X3 on JC Refrigeration 120V conversion. Love it! Runs about 1-2 amp draw.
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We don't boondock any but sometimes if the weather is cool enough we do not run the generator at night on lay overs while traveling from one place to another. We have a 14CF whirlpool fridge and it might pull 7 amps on start up but it's right at one amp while the compressor is running. On our last trip last year we laid over in a parking lot and it was cool enough no to run the generator. It was cool enough however to run the propane heater. We boondocked over night with the heater and fridge left on. The next morning the house batteries were at 70% and our batteries are not in the greatest of shape...in fact one has a dead cell. Just our experience.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well....my bad....I guess this is what happens when ya get old...lol. I forgot to add that I have installed a Blue Sea relay in my charging system which ties my house batteries and start batteries together. Our RV (2004 Camelot) does not charge the start batteries while tied to shore power. I added the Blue Sea relay to remedy that. It also has a feature that when the start batteries get down to 65% it will drop out and only draw from the house batteries. I am sure that is why it only drew down the house batteries in my previous post. Sorry for any confusion.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you, I didn't think of putting the chassis batteries in the engine compartment. There is a lot to switch around though, Most of these guys are doing OJT. They are not that trust worthy but I have no choice.

What size battery bank do you have? I have 4 6v AGMs that give 440ah. I don't run them below 50%. The manufacturer told me you can run them all the way down though.

Say I just saw an Amana frig that shows 7 amps in the specs. Most show 15 amps or more. I wonder if this is a misprint or just incorrect.

Has anybody seen a residential fridge that low?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amana-2...?skuId=6191422
Four 6V golf cart batteries from Costco. 400 ah. Nothing special. I intend to move the chassis batteries to the engine compartment and add four more batteries to the battery bay. I have several automotive electric shops in town. One of them should be able to do the job.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #12

Don't go by the fridge specs. It will only draw 1 to 2 amps running.

The 7 amp spec is if every possable thing is on, including the doors open.

Using 2 amps or 20 amps @12 volts, they run about 33% of the time. That's 8 AH.

Run it 24 hours and you use up about 200 AH. If your charging 4 hours a day, subtract that from the 24 hours.

You can also use the fridge energy guide to figure it out.

Take the yearly KWH # and divide it by 365 days.
If 365 KWH a year, then 1000 watts per day.
1000 watts a day ų 12.6 volts = about 80 AH a day.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just texted a friend to ask his experiences. He's got a 5th wheel with a residential frig that I helped him put in several years ago, and I didn't recall him having an inverter.

He said they just try to minimize opening the door during the day when they travel (with the frig off), and it cools back down quickly when they stop for the night.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:

BJ's, Sam's Club, Amazon all have 7 cu. ft. units 55" tall. 23" wide. $249.00. I plan on replacing mine this summer when I get back to camp.

Tags
batteries