Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #15

On reflection, the first pic appears to be the passenger's side front room slide out. The rest of my comments remain the same.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 AM   #16

The way I look at it, once you cover up the mess then the MOLD sets in if you don't get it dried out good. The only real fix is to remove all the bad areas and seal the roof, and slide. More work than I would want to do
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
As others have stated there are products out there that do some amazing things with the stains you see on this coach. I have had wonderful results with Oxy-Clean with issues like this.

We had a serious water leak occur when out bedroom slide out cover split away from the coach body. You would not think a slide out cover would make a difference, but when it tore away from the body, and we were in the middle of a serious rain storm, it allowed water to get down on the top of the slide out and we discovered a manufacturing defect that had gone unnoticed for several years. There was actually a hole in the top of our slide out that allowed rain to get into the slide out walls, flood the cabinets over the bed and go down the wall causing stains similar to what you see here.

I only mention this because your first picture is of the driver's side front-room slide out (not part of the coach body where the antenna is attached). I cannot imagine how any water from a "torn antenna" would migrate into the top of the slide-out. I think you have more issues here than just a broken antenna problem

I am also curious as to why the original owner just left the stains there. We knew immediately when our coach started to leak that we had a serous problem and did everything we could think of to get the water soaked up in towels and out of the coach even while it was raining (which included bringing in the slide out so no more water would get in). We also did everything we could to get the area dried and cleaned as soon as possible. Stains seem to be harder to remove the longer they sit. The stains I see here make it look like things were not dried quickly. But, if there was a structural problem with whatever water got into the coach, I would think the inspector you hired would have pointed that out. Sometimes looks can be deceiving.

The one really great thing about the 2004 Beaver is that all the framing is aluminum (versus steel on later models) and that cannot rust. So, as long as you don't seem to have a mold problem and the luan seems to still be solid, you may just be OK.
Bob&Anns you are right about the front driver's side slide being the issue. I was also trying to fogure out how a roof antenna leak could cause stains all the way over there and found myself theorizing that the original bat-wing antenna was knockked off while driving. That would mean with the slide in.

If they didn't know the antenna was ripped off while driving -home, then they may have just parked it and didn't notice it until a storm later. With the slide in, and the leak fairly center, and with a slight tilt, the water may have drained on the top of the slide trying to find a way down. QUITE POSSIBLY this slide has the same manufacturers defect you found, however the slide water damage happened with the slide IN.

I have a picture of all slide toppers and they are all just -slightly- sun faded with no rips or defects seen. Which brings me to the question I'd like to pose to you Bob&Ann:

As schooled and educated with the Beaver brand that I am, I can't seem to find out -what kind- of TV Antenna was factory installed. I'm told, or believe it was a Bat-Wing antenna, but thoes generally have the hand crank inside the coach WHICH IS NOT PRESENT IN MY PICTURS where the replacement Saucer antenna is on the roof.

Was the Beaver Bat-Wng antenna automatic? Deploys at a flip of a switch?

But as far as the stains. I too find myself mistified as to why the stains were left there. With how easy cleaning theses stains seem to be with very common store bought agents like OxyClean, I too wonder why they just left the stains without trying to clean them up before sale.

The dealer said that he saw the wife trying to scrub the small stain on the original carpet (slide - and yes I have a picture) before they left the coach as well as place flowered decorations and tidy up the coach for inspection by possible buyers. But I find it hard to believe they didn't have the resources to ask a similar question in a forum or webpage like this one as we speak. To find out how the stains could be removed.

The coach was originally owned by the husband's brother who had passed a decade ago. Maybe it's just time. Time to let the coach and memory go. I don't know..

The inspecor was Level 2 IRVA certified. He tapped around and pressed on all the areas. He did not see any other signs of damage beyond the stains. I trust his training and abilities, but no one can predict whats really under the skin by just looking at it from outside.

But really only 3 things beyond the stains are issues. Everything else fantastic shape! Even the original euro lounger and the couch are gently used. The wood is a desired cherry with No scratches on any of them. All the slides move and seat well, oil analysis is checking out. Seriously besides the stains it's a nice coach.
Mike Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tomas View Post
I too wonder why they just left the stains without trying to clean them up before sale.
I see boats all the time brought in for trade that owners never even washed the outside or even vacuum the cabin.

Or boats listed with brokers who list and show them. The sellers don't even attempt to tidy them up.

I make good money preparing boats to be shown or detailing them before delivery.

I even have a "for the love of god that's disgusting I'll have to wear a tyvek suit and respirator" price.

If that RV was listed with a dealer I can't imagine why they wouldn't have the stains cleaned before showing it.

Many times I'm called in to remove stains or detail something before closing or even a deposit because the customer won't do the deal otherwise.

If this is a deal with a dealer make the sale contingent on them cleaning the stains.

These are all boats that were for brought in for trade or listing that got cleaned up before showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	450_03.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	184987   Click image for larger version

Name:	450_04.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	184988  

Name:	hatch_01.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	184989   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch_02.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	184990  

Name:	pontoon_03.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	184991   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontoon_04.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	184992  

Name:	pontoon_01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	184993   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontoon_02.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	184994  

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I think these stains should be a great negotiating point. I would play it hard that there could be significant structural issues, unseen damage ....etc. and work for a big discount because if it.....or at least try [emoji41]

Best of luck.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #20

Bleach and water and a shop vac for the ceiling. Have done several roofs way worse than yours with this method and you could never tell it was there.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #21
tcg

If you do decide or need to go the bleach route, Tilex or Clorox cleaner with bleach is the perfect mixture and easiest to apply.

The Clorox has a much better spray bottle that sprays well pointing the bottle up.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #22

There is way more damage than you realize. That is some long term high volume leaking from neglect. I would have mold concerns as well as structural.

I would do a hard pass unless there were significant savings. The cleaner linked before has marginal reviews on Amazon. I wouldn’t plan on being able to remove the stains.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
There is way more damage than you realize. That is some long term high volume leaking from neglect. I would have mold concerns as well as structural.

I would do a hard pass unless there were significant savings. The cleaner linked before has marginal reviews on Amazon. I wouldn’t plan on being able to remove the stains.
Those stains can absolutely be removed, see photos above.

But I would put it on the dealer to remove them.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Those stains can absolutely be removed, see photos above.

But I would put it on the dealer to remove them.
I was more concerned with physical damage than water stains. They are trusting a dealer with honest disclosure?

Stains? They can be ugly and if you can’t live with them there are no guarantees they can be removed. The yellow orange ones are usually bled from the Luan and can be a challenge to remove. I wouldn’t trust the dealer to be careful with Clorox. They usually have their lowest lot rat and not the sharpest tool in the box do the work. That was my experience and regret it. While it didn’t involve Clorox there was damage that could have been avoided.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
tcg

Quote:
I was more concerned with physical damage than water stains. They are trusting a dealer with honest disclosure?

Stains? They can be ugly and if you can’t live with them there are no guarantees they can be removed. The yellow orange ones are usually bled from the Luan and can be a challenge to remove. I wouldn’t trust the dealer to be careful with Clorox. They usually have their lowest lot rat and not the sharpest tool in the box do the work. That was my experience and regret it. While it didn’t involve Clorox there was damage that could have been avoided.
I do dealer work all the time. It's a big part of my business, I am experienced and skilled in the removal of stains like that.

You may have had a bad experience but there really are people out there that know what they are doing and know how to remove stains like that.

But... the buyer should make the deal contingent on the proper removal of the stains or they don't close on the deal unless they can live with the stain.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I do dealer work all the time. It's a big part of my business, I am experienced and skilled in the removal of stains like that.

You may have had a bad experience but there really are people out there that know what they are doing and know how to remove stains like that.

But... the buyer should make the deal contingent on the proper removal of the stains or they don't close on the deal unless they can live with the stain.
And structural damage....

It really depends on the dealer. I also have a Bennington pontoon boat and had a sailboat. Mold and algae cleans up pretty good with bleach. That carpet they use is bulletproof. Lol
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the bleach suggeations, however I would only use bleach as a last resort. I'd be first interested in other cleaners first.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

No. They are not trusting a dealer for honest disclosure. That's why I hired a local IRVA LEVEL 2! Inspector to go over the coach. That inspector worked for the Buyer! And a thorough 94 page assessment of the coach was obtaind by the Buyer from a trained professional. So the buyer is fully aware of the full overall condition of the coach.

Tags
ceiling