Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Depending on the model there may be a single breaker or a dual breaker. Don't hold me to this but if you have. A 30 amp MH then most likely you have a single breaker and if you have a 50 amp MH you have a dual breaker on the generator.

Mike, I had a 1998 Winnebago chieftain 30amp coach. It had two breakers side by side.

Rod
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #16

In the race car trailer we have an RV type Onan diesel 5500 and it has just one breaker and got two on my 12.5 KW in my Sig.

Rod, in that 98 Winnie was that an Onan Diesel? I thought that was a gas powered Onan which is a different class of generator and the double breaker was different than the breakers on the diesel units. The "single" looking breaker on a bigger Onan Diesel is actual a double breaker inside for one leg on a 30 amp. On the 50 amp in its you have two breakers, one for each leg of a 50 amp circuit.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
This is a pic of the panel on my gen. It is an Onan QD 7500. Looks like just the one breaker but this coach is a 38' 2001 HR and it utilizes 50 AMP service so it would make sense to have 2 breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438526890134.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	101832  
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Another note . You do not need to have the inverter on to get the flow through of 120 to the cirrcuts on shore power or Gen power. You do need the inverter on to get 120 without the Gen or shore power.

LEN
Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #19

Lol, so much for that logic. Guess I am going to have look at the schematics and see what Onan is doing.

Len, I have hard wired outlets to my inverter and if it is not on then no power. Maybe it is wired different on a Monaco compared to a Winnie
Old 08-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Another note . You do not need to have the inverter on to get the flow through of 120 to the cirrcuts on shore power or Gen power. You do need the inverter on to get 120 without the Gen or shore power.
LEN
OLYLEN
Correct!
It is apparent that some RV owners do not know how the inverters, converters, battery chargers and transfer switches work with the different power systems, (120VAC shore power, 120VAC generator power and 12VDC battery power), in their RV.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
This is a pic of the panel on my gen. It is an Onan QD 7500. Looks like just the one breaker but this coach is a 38' 2001 HR and it utilizes 50 AMP service so it would make sense to have 2 breakers.

Yep, you have another 15amp breaker on the gen somewhere.

Rod
Old 08-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #22

Mel, believe me I know how mine works. If the inverter is off and I am on shore power my frig will not work, my microwave will not work, my TV will not work and Steve real outlets are dead. I suggest that you don't understand all different motorhomes.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
To the OP:
You do have a 50-amp breaker pair, but they are 'inter-connected' thru the one paddle/handle (for lack of a better term) which controls both of them. If one side trips, the paddle will also pull the other breaker side with it.

And it may depend on which model/year coach, and what inverter it has, as to whether your inverter will pass 120vac thru it when it's off but coach is connected to shore-power/genset or if it must be on to pass power. As noted, not all coaches/inverters are the same.

As to why it tripped, that can depend on a myriad of things. Keep an eye on it to see if you can find a pattern and go from there. Intermittents are very tough to track down.

Glad you got your problem fixed, in any case.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
To the OP:
You do have a 50-amp breaker pair, but they are 'inter-connected' thru the one paddle/handle (for lack of a better term) which controls both of them. If one side trips, the paddle will also pull the other breaker side with it.

And it may depend on which model/year coach, and what inverter it has, as to whether your inverter will pass 120vac thru it when it's off but coach is connected to shore-power/genset or if it must be on to pass power. As noted, not all coaches/inverters are the same.

As to why it tripped, that can depend on a myriad of things. Keep an eye on it to see if you can find a pattern and go from there. Intermittents are very tough to track down.

Glad you got your problem fixed, in any case.

Rusty, when I looked at the picture of his 50 amp generator, the breaker is clearly marked, 35 amp. If it were a combo breaker like you suggest, would it be labeled this way?

Rod
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Oops, guess my computer-screen isn't as clear as it used to be (couldn't be my EYES, could it? !! ). Thanks for that catch, Rkh, yes he does have 35Amp breakers. Couldn't have seen that small if you didn't point it out.

If my screen doesn't lie again , I see the 2-pole word designator after the 35 Amp which indicates it's a split-breaker. That means he has 2 independent 35amp breakers connected by a common bar or paddle.

Sorry for any confusion
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Oops, guess my computer-screen isn't as clear as it used to be (couldn't be my EYES, could it? !! ). Thanks for that catch, Rkh, yes he does have 35Amp breakers. Couldn't have seen that small if you didn't point it out.

If my screen doesn't lie again , I see the 2-pole word designator after the 35 Amp which indicates it's a split-breaker. That means he has 2 independent 35amp breakers connected by a common bar or paddle.

Sorry for any confusion
Thanks Rusty. That is good news.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Mel, believe me I know how mine works. If the inverter is off and I am on shore power my frig will not work, my microwave will not work, my TV will not work and Steve real outlets are dead. I suggest that you don't understand all different motorhomes.
Mike
I realize that I don't understand all different motorhomes
However I do know that during the 14 years I've owned, (and the 113k miles I've driven), my Safari I've had to learn, (often through trial and error), to understand nearly everything important about the only motorhome that is important to me.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power