Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cant get old headlight stem to fit into new headlight switch

This is odd.
I installed a new headlight switch but I can't get the old headlight switch stem to fit fully in the new switch. I goes in some but sticks out about 2 inches. And it was tight, I had a hard time getting it back out.

The stem does not appear to be bent.

Also, the new headlight switch had a small tab at the threaded end (to keep switch from rotating in the dash) but the hole in my dash did not have a notch for this tab. I had to use a file to make a small notch.

I did not notice this tab until I started to install the switch in the dash - and I didnt save the old switch, so I don't know if the old switch had a tab and Beaver just bent it straight or ground it off, or if there is a different switch I should have bought.

The headlight switch I got is ACDELCO p/n "DEL D6251D". The electrical plug fits properly.

Maybe the stem diameter is a little different (thicker) and now I need to buy a new stem for the new switch. If the stem is bent slightly, it is not noticable.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight switch tab.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	199096  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #2

I have seen this before. Having worked at a couple GM dealerships and as an independent repair shop owner and operator.
Keep trying to install the stem and knob. It sounds like the inside slide was pushed in all the way during assembly of the switch and the stem isn't aligning itself properly to fall into place. There should be a small button on the switch with a spring between the button and the switch case. Try pushing this button while wiggling the stem into place. A drop of WD-40 on the stem might aid in getting the stem into place also.
The notch should have been in the panel when it was built. With the raised portion on the switch installed in the notch this will prevent the switch from rotating when the on-off knob is turned to control the brightness of the panel lights.
Lynn
Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are you SURE it is the exact same switch ? I'd say not!

My guess is wrong switch or at least wrong revision of the correct switch....
good luck
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How can I be sure if it is the correct/exact switch?

I have a Beaver ("Beaver" does show up on any part store catalog listings) so I had to buy a switch for the 1970-80 Chevy/GM based on information provided by other Beaver owners and by matching the electrical connector. The old switch has no part number on it.

I don't know if the headlight stem (shaft) is the same diameter for all headlight switches. Is there a "standard" on what diameter the shaft must be (I bought a switch made by ACDelco and the shaft is by a different manufacturer). Maybe the manufacturing tolerances of the switch were sloppy and the new switch has a tighter internal clearance for the shaft, or vise versa.

Anyways, I just ordered a new stem.

If the diameter of the stem is slightly off (thicker) it would cause a fitment issue.

I should be getting it tomorrow. I will also give the shaft a shot of WD40 before installing.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch