Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree Awning Adjustment also Omega Adjustment

I (along with help from someone here) repaired the Slide toppers on my coach. So they DO NOT need to be removed.

I need to adjust the tension on both the slide toppers and my big awning. I have downloaded the instructions on how to install and replace them. All I really want to do is put a couple more turns on all 3 (2 toppers and my big one). Can some one tell me if there is a way to do this without drilling out the rivets on the topper? I am by myself so I would need 1 man directions.

I saw somewhere on line that I could rest the big awning on a ladder and take the arms apart and turn the arms to put more tension on the big awning but I am not sure if it applied to the Carefree...

Thanks Lee

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, yes you should be able to do this without drilling out the rivets. First put the slide out about half way. You will now need to remove the arm on the rear of the awning (right hand end as you look at it from the outside). Put a piece of tape on the bottom so the bottom cover does not drop off the arm. Remove only the bottom bolt and catch the two plastic spacers on each side of the arm as you extract the bolt. Make sure the arm lock at the top is in the locked position when you remove the bottom bolt. Now with the bottom bolt out, lift the arm up and off the lock, then pull toward the rear of the coach enough to clear the slide and add the number of turns you think you need. Then reinstall everything and you should be good to go.

The rivets only need to be drilled out if you have to remove the awning from the tube, or need to remove the spring from inside the tube.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Rex....... Any ideas for the BIG Awning?????
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Lee I didn't look closely at your patio awning. Is it A&E or Carefree? If you don't know, send me a picture of the arm where it is attached to the awning tube and the bottom of the arm where it is attached to the coach. Then I can offer some advice about adding tension to it. If it is an electric awning, that is a horse of a different color. That is what I have, and can't say I like anything about it except the ease of extending it.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Lee I didn't look closely at your patio awning. Is it A&E or Carefree? If you don't know, send me a picture of the arm where it is attached to the awning tube and the bottom of the arm where it is attached to the coach. Then I can offer some advice about adding tension to it. If it is an electric awning, that is a horse of a different color. That is what I have, and can't say I like anything about it except the ease of extending it.
Rex; Ours is a "Carefree". I know what you mean about the electric awning we had one on our 5th Wheel and did not care for it at all...

Sorry it took me so long to answer I was away from the computer until now...

Thanks Lee
Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Lee, you are just having to much fun out there in California.

If you have the manual pull down Carefree it may be this one:

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...e%20Manual.pdf

They show using vice grips to set the tension, but that requires removing the arm from the awning tube - and there is another way I think. Use the arm itself and wind it.

To do that, put the awning down, use a step ladder to set the forward most end on, remove the brace arm that slides inside the awning arm, then remove the awning arm from the coach at the bottom. The ladder should now be supporting the awning on one end. it will want to move toward the coach so you will need to have it tied or held in some way so it can't. Now you wind the arm. With the arm hanging down toward the ground it should be obvious which way it wants to unwind, so wind it the opposite direction to increase the tension. Put everything back like it was and check to see if you are satisfied with the tension. There is a spring in each end so you may also need to wind the opposite end the same amount.

If the awning in the link does not look like yours let me know.

Good luck,

Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wish it was all fun. My Dad of 97 is not doing to well and we are along with brothers trying to see what we can do... But yet there is fun involved because my Dad's mind is 100% there and he has a great outlook on things.. Bless him for that...

It look like the link you sent is the ONE... Thanks I wlll take some time and read it...

Thanks again Rex..... Take care and be good...Lee
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well I got them all adjusted and working GREAT..... 2 turns on the front and 1 one the back of the LARGE Awning did the trick... Thanks Rex

LeeB