Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #1

Has anyone been able to replace the plastic three cup anemometer piece without replacing the whole assembly?
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Awning wind sensor

Has anyone been able to replace the plastic three cup anemometer piece without replacing the whole assembly?
R J Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Last time I checked, which was around 2009, the 3 cup anemometer was no longer available from Carefree. I found one from a supplier. Today, I suspect that the only option is to upgrade to a new control module and motion sensor rather than the wind sensor.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Carefree abandoned the anemometer for a vibration sensor that gets mounted on the support arm near the motor. They sell it as an upgrade kit. I have heard of some buying a 3 cup anemometer and adapting just the plastic cup part with epoxy.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

Not sure what you mean by whole assembly but I replaced the piece that mounts on the roof via two screws this summer. Easy job and I believe the part was around $100.00. Just remove the sealant, remove the two mounting screws, cut the wire and the old unit comes off. Rewire the new unit using waterproof butt splices, mount the new unit and reseal with dicor sealant.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #6

I did the same. Easy job. I believe the unit is available from. A co. Called Somfy. It's on the internet.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #7

These folks did.

On edit: And I found this which is less than I paid two years ago.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

The $10 cup replacement sure seems like the ticket. I would want to make sure any complete replacement is calibrated for the same wind speed. I do not believe that equal RPM translates to equal speed on all devices.

Here's the direct measuring device that Carefree now uses. It's expensive when compared to the cup replacement. The good news is you never have to worry about another broken cup and awning that doesn't retrack because you didn't notice the broken cup.

Direct Response Electronics Upgrade For Eclipse Power Awning-pplmotorhomes.com
Old 09-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
The $10 cup replacement sure seems like the ticket. I would want to make sure any complete replacement is calibrated for the same wind speed. I do not believe that equal RPM translates to equal speed on all devices.
I think you are envisioning a level of sophistication that just does not exist here. When I replaced my defective unit I had a chance to see the insides of one of these because you have to get to the circuit board to exchange the wires. All that is in play here is a simple magnet that passes over a reed relay for each rotation of the rotor shaft. So anything similar to the original cup size and rotational diameter will produce similar results. Even if it was off by say 10 percent it should not have a material impact on when the awning would retract. If I had known about this alternative when I had to replace mine, I would have certainly taken that option. I just did not see any article like this back then.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #10

Bob, I was referring to the product you provided the link for. It says:

Calibration factor 1.45 Hz = 1.6 mph (1km/h) 5.22 Hz = 3.28 ft/ sec (1m/s)

This may or not be the same as Carefree's. I do understand just replacing the head shouldn't be a big deal. I also agree that close enough, should be enough.

BTW, I saw a destroyed Girard a couple of days ago. Late at night the sky opened and the rain came down fast and hard. There was little to know wind. The lesson being, don't depend on the awning closing before it's too late. I had a similar, but not as damaging, event a few years ago with the Carefree on my Beaver. My large awning is never out unless I'm enjoying the shade or at least at the coach.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
BTW, I saw a destroyed Girard a couple of days ago. Late at night the sky opened and the rain came down fast and hard. There was little to know wind. The lesson being, don't depend on the awning closing before it's too late. I had a similar, but not as damaging, event a few years ago with the Carefree on my Beaver. My large awning is never out unless I'm enjoying the shade or at least at the coach.
I could not agree more. I have seen too many storms come up while we were out that probably would have caused some serious damage to our awning. I only trust it when I am there.

And thanks for pointing out the other post I added. I should have seen that and skipped that part. It looked like the same unit I have on our coach, but may not be. I like the idea of just replacing the top part.
Bob
Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #12

anenometer wind cups

After searching some threads, I ordered the Davis 7905L wind cups to replace my missing cup assemble for the Girard awning. Seems to work fine. Didn't want to spend $180 if not necessary. All I had was the metal shaft sticking out of the existing 'guts' which was underneath caulking. put the Davis on and there was a space below it that would allow water in to where I presume there are bearings or gears which likely should not get wet. For .27 I got a 3/4" pvc coupler, siliconed it to the base of the cup assembly and after drying, put it on, tightened the set screw, spun with my finger and awning retracted. there is enough space between pvc coupler and base of mechanism to allow free spinning, but don't think water can get in. Total dollar amount with 'Prime' next day, pvc coupler and gas, under $25. We shall see how it works long term.
msully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #13

Have never had a Carefree awning on a coach, but looking at one now which has the wind sensor. On our traditional awnings in the past, we sometimes hang a shade cloth. Obviously that's not an option if the awning can roll up in windy conditions so my question is: Is there a way to disable the wind sensor if you are absolutely certain that wind will not be an issue?

Thanks

-Mike
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943D18 View Post
Have never had a Carefree awning on a coach, but looking at one now which has the wind sensor. On our traditional awnings in the past, we sometimes hang a shade cloth. Obviously that's not an option if the awning can roll up in windy conditions so my question is: Is there a way to disable the wind sensor if you are absolutely certain that wind will not be an issue?

Thanks

-Mike
Carefree uses a movement sensor, not a wind sensor. It is located in the front plastic cover and it can be unplugged if needed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote