Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree Main Awning Disaster Avoided

Hi All,
Yesterday while traveling to Nashville, I looked out my right mirror and noticed that our awning wasn't quite closed up against the motorhome!
Luckily there wasn't any big wind to catch it and billow it out and we were able to make to a truck-stop close by. The long awning cover cupped the awning/spool tight enough to keep it from unspooling while driving. I climbed up onto the roof and had my wife work the awning button open and closed. The motor worked but it couldn't roll up the awning and could barely open it up. I had to take some rope that I carry and tie the awning close to the motorhome via the air conditioners. (looped around the bottom of the air conditioners at each end) We were able to get the motorhome to a Carefree approved rv service/dealer before they closed.
They checked it out and said that they had just had some people with the same problem. The awning spindle that goes between the awning spool and the motor/gears has a keyway that locks the motor to the spool. That keyway is stripped, much like a stripped thread on a screw. The motor is not able to spin the awning spool. They said that they have to order a new motor/gear/spindle assembly from Carefree Colorado. Luckily the awning has two more years of warrenty under Carefree's 4 year warranty. We were able to re-tie the awning up and head down the road but will go back up to Elizabethtown, KY when the part comes in at the end of this week and have it installed. Everything is just fine and we are camping at an Army Corp of Engineers park outside of Nashville, Tennesee.
Happy travels!

Tom Brickwell
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Isn't it great when you can avoid a possible major catastrophe? Glad to hear it all worked out well, Tom!!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tom, Depending on the model of awning you have, you may be able to switch the hub that is stripped. On ours it would be the rear to the front. Some of these anwings have a spring in the non motor side, if that is the case you cannot switch. But most do not, so you can switch sides for a temporary fix.

With a slide under the awning you can open the awning about a foot, tie it off so it won't open an switch ends. Without a slide, you need a extra ladder and somebody to help.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
No slide under the awning and one ladder. I'm not going to mess with it as everything is taken care of. I don't know if I have a spring or not. The motor is on the front. I think I'll let the experts deal with it. I don't want to DE-warranty it!

Thanks for the advice for the future.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
MonocoMama,
Yeah, it's REAL great! I think that that could have ruined my year right there!

BTW, aren't you starting to get hot with all of those flames under your moniker?

Later,
Tom
Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Same thing happened to me but mine opened on me. Very scary. I had to use rope the same why you did. Carefree paid for the parts

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drifter, mine stripped out last year and I was able to change the rear hub to the front like you suggested. No springs on ours and worked great but I'd really like to get it fixed and have a 'spare' when it runs out of warranty. I've tried everywhere to get just another hub and failed. Maybe I can get ours repaired under warranty like AkBrick. Tom, let us know what they do to yours to fix it and what parts they used.
AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had the problem twice i drill 1/8 hole true the hold thing and put a spring pin . problem solve for good

2008 Endeavor
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Spring pin fix is a great idea!! That just reinforces why to carry a good cordless drill and bits/ 7 foot ladder onboard.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I want to think that the hub is engineered to have a weak point

Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
The same thing happened to me, but like most I was able to tie it to the roof a\c units. The new end piece has 2 flat surfaces along with a new moter and gear shaft so in the future it should be stronger.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #12

are we talking about the eclipse model carefree ? jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, The Eclipse model 08 and older. The Eclipse XL model has the helper spring on rear Idler end and can't be switched for temp fix.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We got the call from the service manager and Carefree approved the warrenty fix and the motor assembly/spindle will be in by Friday. He said that it will only take about a half hour to switch them out. We'll be there with bells on!

Great idea about drilling the hole! I'll remember that if the part fails again after the warrenty period is up. I'm going to watch carefully so that I know what's going on for the next bout of awning problems.

To be continued Friday..........

Tom