Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree of Colorado Won't Extend

Hello,
I hope to get some advice on the problem we have. I have the Eclipse power model. The motor has been very slow in both directions. The last time we pulled in the awning I had to actually help push it in while the motor was struggling with the job that was expected of it. Now we are at our new location and the power awning refuses to extend when the button is pushed. I checked the fuse and it appears to be fine. My guess is the motor is seized or shot. Is there any way that I can check the system to find out exactly what problem is. We have an 04 Diplomat and I will guess that the awning has been used at most ten times, the motor has very little use on it and should probably not be worn out from heavy use. I hope to get some good help from my fellow Monaco owners.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Mr. Hansville. Are you sure your 12 volt chassis batteries are fully charged??
Larry
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Try cleaning the contacts on the electrical plug from the awning to the coach. Ours has been fakey and required a wiggle to get it to work from time to time.
Ron
Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
The awning motors can have problems operating if they are not receiving enough voltage. One way of checking that is to get on a ladder with a multi-meter and check the wiring contacts at the motor to see what voltage you read. Another thing you could try would be to attach the jumper wire (should have come with the awning ...if not you can rig one up with any two-strand medium gauge wire) to the two contact points on the top outside of the motor housing. Then connect the other ends to the positive and negative posts on a 12v battery that you KNOW is fully charged ...if you hear the motor trying to run but see no action try reversing swapping poles you are connecting to at the battery. If it still doesn't work, the motor is likely seized up. If it DOES work, you know there is a bad connection somewhere between the motor and the power source. It may also be possible that the motor is waterlogged. I've known that to happen with entry door awnings ...cure is to dry the motor out, then make sure there is an open drain hole in the bottom of the motor housing where rain water can escape.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the good feedback, I will check the electrical connections when it stops raining here. I will post my status as I go forward, it will probably be in a few days though. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #6

Mr. Hansville, Let me put this another way before you drive yourself nuts!! I had parked the rig for about a week without the 12volt chassis batteries on my float charger. Tried to extend the big Carefree awning, tried to extend, but stopped. I checked my batteries, they were not up to full charge. I charged to 12 vlots to full capacity 13.4 volts (approx.) The awning works "perfect" as long as the batteries are full charge.
You didn't seem to make a real test to check your batteries. This is a MUST!!
Trying to help you if you want to be helped.
Larry
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Larry, the batteries will be the first thing I will check.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Larry, Just checked the chassis batteries and are at 12.62 volts. Should that be enough to put the awning out?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Mr. Hansville. I would charge them to full charge, then try your awning.You are welcome. We all try to help each other from out past experience. Seems most motor homes are little finicky like some very nice ladies I have know.Larry
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geese View Post
Mr. Hansville. I would charge them to full charge, then try your awning.You are welcome. We all try to help each other from out past experience. Seems most motor homes are little finicky like some very nice ladies I have know.Larry
The phrase "high maintenance" comes to mind for SOME not ALL. (Motorhomes and Gals).
Old 05-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #11

I have the same model awning on my MH and just changed out the controller and the awning now goes in and out as it should. The controller was really replaced to fix another problem...the annometer has a broken wind cup and Care Free no longer supports an annometer, but rather a rattle sensor. Anyway, I suspect the controller has a shut off switch based on current draw. In my case, I suspect the current draw sensor/relay was faulty. This would be easy to diagnose.
1. Do you have 12VDC or more when operating the motor?
2. Does by passing the controller allow the unit to work? You can do this by applying 12VDC directly to the motor. There are exposed contacts on the motor case specifically for this.
3. If that works, then the controller is bad or you have a bad connection somewhere. My unit has a connector on the outside of the MH for the 12VDC and it was suspected to be bad. BTW, not all installations will have a connector from inside to outside.
4. If you suspect the controller, take the 12VDC input to the controller and connect it to the motor output of the controller. If it works, the controller is bad.

Good luck,
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Latest update, chassis batteries fully charged and awning does not extend. It must be time to take the motor cover off to see if there is electricity going to the motor. Any other ideas.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The power can be checked without removing the cover. On the top of the motor housing there are two button looking type rivets that are there so service can check for power. If you cannot get power by touching a meter across these terminals start going back up to the wiring where it comes out of the body, there is a screw on connection that sometimes gets corroded between the awning to body connection.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a relay associated with the awning motor? I can only find a fuse and it is OK.