Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree Slide Topper Adjustment

I need to tighten the spring tension on my two large Carefree slide toppers. Mine are 2006 vintage with the anodized covers. Does anyone know the proper procedure and are there springs on both ends?

Thanks!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Good afternoon Chargerman; I know where your located is east coast time so I don't know if anyone else has responded. Someone about 2 or 3 days ago posted the Carefree Spring Tension Chart here on this forum. I printed it out and put it in my coach. Do not have access to it at the moment, but you might try the search box at the top of the page to see if you can find that info faster. The chart showed all sorts of awnings and how many turns to get the proper tension. Also I think there is only one spring, but I am not 100% sure. Hope this helps. Have a great day!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe Youtube also has one or more videos on the subject.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I will search for the chart and also YouTube later when I get inside.

Have a great day!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I need to tighten the spring tension on my two large Carefree slide toppers. Mine are 2006 vintage with the anodized covers. Does anyone know the proper procedure and are there springs on both ends?

Thanks!

Charger man PM me I can assist if you don't get any other quick help. Also I have attached chart for turns on springs for the brands they make. You didn't say which ones you have.
[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.JPG
Views:	1378
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	169813  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure what style mine are. Also not sure if there are springs on both ends. I get that basically a pin needs to be installed to keep the spring from unwinding then the bracket needs to be removed and wound. On the slide topper that I think needs adjusting it is clear that when looking at it that the left side is looser than the right so I will give that side a try
Old 07-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Big thanks to 10Boomer, Perry, for all of your help on the phone today. I was able to adjust the toppers with your help and time. Another great guy like many on the forum willing to do all they can to help a fellow member out

Thanks so much Perry!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Big thanks to 10Boomer, Perry, for all of your help on the phone today. I was able to adjust the toppers with your help and time. Another great guy like many on the forum willing to do all they can to help a fellow member out

Thanks so much Perry!

[emoji12]welcome Steve.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a set of steps that I got from an earlier post and a PDF from Carefree. We have an 06 Diplomat.

1) Bring in the slide & get on the roof

2) Take off the top outer cover so you can access the rod w/ the fabric

3) With the rod still secure in the end-caps, using both hands wind the roller by hand (towards you) to add tension to the rod. ONE full turn should be enough. Then "lock" this new tension in place by putting a cotter/locking pin through the hole on the LEFT of the rod (there's a hole just outside the fabric in the rod that locks tension in place...it goes all the way through the rod). This process will unwind some of the fabric on the rod, but you'll take care of this in the next step.

4) With the tension LOCKED (cotter pin in place), remove the screw in the middle of the right end-cap. This will allow you to take the rod out and roll up the excess fabric from step 3 (NOTE/ if you remove the right-side screw before locking the tension in place w/ the cotter pin, you will loose all the tension in your rod).

5) Put the rod back into the end-caps and re-insert the screw in the middle of the right end-cap. Then (and only then) remove the locking pin from the right.

6) Extend the slides and check the tension. If all looks OK you can replace the top cover again. That's it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAREFREE SPRING CHART.pdf (31.0 KB, 655 views)
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide