Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Cargo Bay Heater, again....

Finally got around to fixing the OEM Cargo Bay Heater installed in our MH. It hadn't worked for almost 4 years and I had ripped it out 3 years ago. I decided to keep it, rather than throw it out, just in case I could ever fix it later. In the interim, I had been using a 60 watt light bulb, which worked fine, but was awkward getting the extension cord from underneath the coach to the other side of the MH where there is an electrical outlet built into the holding bay. Plus it was either off or on, no thermostat to control the time that it was heating up.

So, after reading a few more recent posts on the same subject, I decided to finally source out the little inline 10 amp thermal fuse that is on one side of the heater, inside the casing. I believe someone said that Radio Shack sold them, but for us up here in Canada, Radio Shack ceased to exist a few years ago, so.....off I go looking.

I found one that was the correct rated size, 120 degrees C., according to the information printed on the OEM fuse, at a place called SMI Electronics in Langley, BC, just a few miles from us in White Rock/Surrey. Only cost a couple of bucks. Opened up the heater yet again, ripped out the old fuse, and inserted the new one complete with new metal butt end lugs. Tested it and it worked fine.

Then I installed it back into it's little bay area, turned on the "system heat" switch located in the hallway main control panel, and, Voila! The second light located right beside the system heat switch, labelled, "active", lit up like the 4th of July. Went outside to check 'er out, and all is fine again. Whippeeee!!!

So, just wanted to thank all of the previous owners who changed out the thermal fuse and inspired me to finally get' er done. I crimped the ends, just like the OEM, to avoid damaging the thermal fuse with high temp. soldering equipment. Seems to be quite snug after I had finished it.

Scratch another off the list!!
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
FD5

That's good news. Our 2007 Monaco Diplomat most likely has the same heater. When I power it up and the outside temp drops into the low 30's the active light comes on but no heat. Think I will pull mine out and look up the fuse. Hope I can fine one close by.
FD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a reason why the thermal fuse blew. Chances are it will happen again. Could be the fan motor spun slow or not at all causing it to overheat. glad to hear you got it running again,but I would keep a eye on it.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
The Cargo Heater is junk. Get a 200w heater (Lasko #100 MyHeat ) from Amazon with a (Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube)
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

Does anyone know where the on/off switch is on a 2008 Monarch for the cargo heat? Just bought this coach and the PDI fella told me it was all automatic. I never did see a switch. Thanks, Bill
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

Not a hundred percent familiar with the Monarch but guessing it is on top of control panel for slides ,tank reading etc and marked system heat.
roddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddie View Post
Not a hundred percent familiar with the Monarch but guessing it is on top of control panel for slides ,tank reading etc and marked system heat.
OK, will look. Thanks.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater