RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

We're on the way into Death Valley with some friends who have a '07 Monaco Cayman XL. The coach does not have a whole house charger/ inverter, but instead they opted for a few smaller inverters. The charger is an InteliPower 9100 (PD9169A) 60A charger. Anytime the charger is on, there is a resettable circuit breaker in the battery bay that resets about 5 sec on/ 10 sec off. We traced the breaker down to a stack of breakers behind a black box that looks like it would be a nice J-Box for Solar, Amp gauges, etc. Anyway, the breaker thats tripping is on the bottom of that stack, and it's labeled "other" (doesn't that just figure). We hung an amp clamp on it and it's tripping just above 60A, so it's doing it's job. The question is: What does this roughly #8 red lead go to that's probably a dead short, and why doesn't it appear to be affecting the batteries when off?? This coach has 4ea. U2200's, all at 6.38-6.4V

We haven't called Monaco yet, but that will happen in the morning. I'd like to get real world input from the Monaco crowd as to what we should be looking for.

Thanks in Advance!
Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #2

We're on the way into Death Valley with some friends who have a '07 Monaco Cayman XL. The coach does not have a whole house charger/ inverter, but instead they opted for a few smaller inverters. The charger is an InteliPower 9100 (PD9169A) 60A charger. Anytime the charger is on, there is a resettable circuit breaker in the battery bay that resets about 5 sec on/ 10 sec off. We traced the breaker down to a stack of breakers behind a black box that looks like it would be a nice J-Box for Solar, Amp gauges, etc. Anyway, the breaker thats tripping is on the bottom of that stack, and it's labeled "other" (doesn't that just figure). We hung an amp clamp on it and it's tripping just above 60A, so it's doing it's job. The question is: What does this roughly #8 red lead go to that's probably a dead short, and why doesn't it appear to be affecting the batteries when off?? This coach has 4ea. U2200's, all at 6.38-6.4V

We haven't called Monaco yet, but that will happen in the morning. I'd like to get real world input from the Monaco crowd as to what we should be looking for.

Thanks in Advance!
Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'll go out on a limb here and make some assumptions. The main assumption is that we (or your freind) share a very similar electrical system. Intellipower converter, Magnum inverter. 50 amp service with EMS.

I had the very same problem at the Monaco rally in Oregon last Sept. The tech traced it the the same (I think) 50 breaker your referring to. Yes it's a 50 amp, and he couldn't explain why a 50 amp breaker was used for the 60 amp charge curcuit. He followed up with a call to the factory, and yes it is the correct size. He replaced the breaker and the system has worked perfect ever since.

Like yours the charge system cycled on, ... then off, over and over again. It was maddening. Especially since we were on auto gen start. The generator shut down every time the breaker kicked off, then started right back up again. Whew.

By the way the 50 amp breaker, located on a bus bar in the black box you describe, is one of the few parts available at most auto parts stores.

Hope this helps.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

Corkey, with the info from you're experience, we have decided that is exactly the same problem. We took a pair of pliers and shorted around the CB (Disclaimer: All 3 of us are high power broadacast transmitter types, otherwise think twice about this), got the current down to less than 40A, released the short, and it started again after running for about 45 sec while heating back up. I also agree about the 50A rating. It's a CB and is protecting the charger, and should be rated above the rated output of the charger, not below (unless the charger isn't smart enough to current limit, but thats the next project), so we'll probably install 70-80A instead.

Thanks Again, Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff,

Like you my plan was to replace the 50 with a larger CB. I looked for a while, but never found one that was a direct replacement to the 50 as mounted to the bus bar. I found larger CB's but they would require mounting seperate from the bus bar. Over time it became a "NON-ISSUE", as the problem never re-surfaced.

I'm trying to get my brain to accept the fact there are a whole lot of coaches out there with the same electrical and CB's, working without issue.

I have since replaced both the converter and the Magnum inverter with a Xantrex ProSine 2.0 inverter/converter/charger, so I'll never know if it's a perpetual weak link.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #6

We found an 80A at the local NAPA store in Ridgecrest that comes out in spade lugs. We used a 10-24x1/2" SS out of my hardware to bolt onto the buss, and the lug onto the breaker on the other side. Works fine.
So I guess what I'm seeing here is a combo charger/ converter (110>12)? Does the coach always float across the batteries when plugged in, or is there a 110>12 converter somewhere else?

Sure glad we fixed this as we're now all in DV. Ain't nothin' here but rabbits and rock.

Jeff

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So I guess what I'm seeing here is a combo charger/ converter (110&gt;12)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes it's a converter/3 way charger, one of the best. When on shore power the converter/charger is running the 12v systems while keeping the batteries conditioned at the same time. The main inverter is probably a 600w Magnum, limited to supplying both TV's and a DVD outlet in the cabinet next to the front TV. The inverter has an built in transfer switch to switch between shore power and battery power.

On some coaches the system moves up to 1800 or 2000 watts, the Magnum is an "all in one" unit that includes the charger/converter.

Glad you found the CB, you had better luck than I did.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #8

I can post a pic of it tomorrow if you still care

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can post a pic of it tomorrow if you still care </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You bet, if it's not a problem.

I no longer have the CB in my ProSine 2.0 loop, but I'm sure there are lots of folks (including me) who are interested. One of my club members has the very same system and it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a problem with this CB. It sure seems like it's overworked.

There is nothing better than a good 'visual'.
thanks, -Corkey.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

THIS is the new 80A CB that replaced the under-rated 60A part.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the visual, .... something so simple, causing so much grief.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #12

Thank YOU. Your input confirmed what path we were going down and saved a bunch of time.

Jeff - WA6EQU