RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Yup!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #58

Hi,
With the amount of money i've put into my rv, i'm now afraid of what kind of ride this enhancement kit will do to me. So far rough ride, porpoising, air time etc are still there after installing MCU, Koni and new trailing arms. And now, here comes the kit which i believe no guarranty to fix my problem. I wish, i could have first a test ride before spending again another 3K. Poor guy, i should have known irv2 forum first before getting into DP. I hope, somebody out there will report an absolute truth about this Enhancement kit and not for the purpose of business. TNX.

MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #59

REK Theory

I can explain a bit about the theory of suspension systems and how the ride enhancement kits work. I do not claim to be an expert, and will probably be corrected in some details over the next few days, but here is a start:

An air-bag suspension simply replaces springs with air-bags. The job of the spring or air-bag is to support the weight of the vehicle and yet allow motion so that the wheels can comply with bumps in the road without causing the suspended chassis to follow exactly the contour of the road. A given spring or air-bag has several characteristics which determine how it will behave in a dynamic moving system. One thing is the weight capacity of the bag or spring. Another is it's resistance to movement - stretching and compressing. The third would be the absolute limits of it's movement.
Taken together these three factors determine how much a wheel can move before the chassis suspended by the spring moves. If the absolute limit for compression of the spring from it's normal position was 4 inches, and we went over a 3 inch speed bump, it is possible that the spring would absorb all of the motion, and none would be passed on to the chassis. This is not realistic, it is idealized behaviour. With a coil spring, because a solid piece of metal (the spring) is connecting the wheel and chassis, a portion of the force (and thus the motion) is transmitted through the spring to the chassis. The percentage of the force is determined by several factors including the resistance of the spring to compression. An air-bag may have less transmission of force than a coil-spring because most of what is connecting the wheel to the chassis is pressurized air. If the air has someplace to go when force (the speed bump) is applied to the wheel, then the wheel moves up more freely transmitting less force to the chassis. Of course, all of the air does not go out of the bag, it really compresses within the bag - if the volume of the bag halves, the pressure doubles. At some point, the pressure in the bag is high enough that force is transmitted to the chassis and we feel the bump. If the bag is larger (as far as the air inside it is concerned) there will be less compression for a given impulse of bump and less of the impulse is transmitted to the chassis. This is the purpose of the ping-tank. It gives the air system of the air-bag a larger low-resistance place for the air in the bag to compress, making a softer air-bag.

The shock absorber has a different job. It does not support weight. It's job is to dampen the up and down motion of the spring after an impulse is applied. We have all seen a pure-spring system - something that just keeps bouncing, until the material resistance of the spring absorbs the energy of the bump and slowly dampens the motion. Think of a weight suspended on a long thin spring bouncing up and down. A shock absorber slows both the compression and rebound phases of motion, but differently - it could have high dampening (resistance) on compression and less on expansion or it could have higher dampening on expansion. The valving in the shock absorber determines it's behavior.

The folks at Source Engineering have driven motorhomes that have the stock (whatever is cheapest for the mfr - usually) components and recognized that the ride could be improved. Rather than looking at only one aspect of the suspension such as air moving in and out of bags or shock absorbers, they looked at the entire system - both front and rear, both springs and dampening. Their solution is for bags that can react more quickly to jolts and bumps without passing as much energy to the chassis, and to add volume to the bag with a ping tank. The tank is connected with extra large hose to the air-bags so that lots of air can move quickly in and out of the ping tank - allowing the air bags to move better. Their shocks are specially valved with this in mind, to dampen out the motion smoothly.

The motion control units that some vendors sell are designed to prevent air moving out of the bag quickly - this is the opposite of what the Source ride enhancement kit does, and is not particularly compatible with it. The MCU tends to make the bag stiffer and provide more support for the chassis, and is intended to prevent excessive roll. The excessive roll is sometimes caused by under-sized (cheaper) air bags being used. Source uses larger air bags which properly support the chassis they are provided for. The MCU valves are probably a less expensive alternative to replacing air bags, but may not solve all of the suspension problems that some rigs encounter.

If you are interested in the ride enhancement kit, I would suggest sending private messages to the several people on the forums who have installed them. Ask their perceptions after having lived with it for a few months. I would expect that people will give you honest impressions of the system, and you may be able to arrange a meeting with someone if your paths cross.

Source has put up a notice on their website that they will be participating in a Roadmaster Chassis Rally in a couple of months - that might be a good opportunity to learn more about the ride kit and talk to others who have them installed in person.

Jim
jamorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #60

Thank you for the info. Seemingly, I wasted money on MCU's and KONI shocks. Poor guy like me, biting a false AD. I want to hear more from those who tried this enhancement kit.Tnx again.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Thank you for the info. Seemingly, I wasted money on MCU's and KONI shocks. Poor guy like me, biting a false AD. I want to hear more from those who tried this enhancement kit.Tnx again.

Marathana,

I have not had the Source Upgrade Kit put on my MH as it came from the factory with the same basic components that are in the Source Upgrade. I have a 2005 Safari Cheetah 38 PDQ with the RR4R Chassis that came with the original factory upgrade including; larger air bags, larger air lines, ping tank and upgraded shocks. Most Safari Cheetahs that were shipped came with this installed as a $500 option at time of purchase. My MH has new tires and about 7,500 miles on it.

I have had the original trailing arms replaced with the Source Arms pre-failure. I also had MCUs put on at the same time. My MH rides pretty nice. I was also concerned with the safety factor involved with a front blowout and had the Blue Ox Tru Center installed as well.

I know that my configuration it is not exactly the same upgrade (close) that you are considering, but understand your concern with expending the funds to only be disappointed with the results. Even if the results are an improved ride, will your perception of the ride improvement meet your expectation for the amount you are contemplating spending?

I would like to make the following offer. I live in Florida, but will be traveling both to Indiana, Michigan and then to Colorado and New Mexico, across Texas and back to Florida starting in July and ending in October. If you are within driving distance of where we will be during any of those times, you are more than welcome to test drive my MH. It may help you make an informed decision. If this works for you and you want to take me up on my offer, let me know.

Jim Stewart
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #62

Jim,
Wow, UR a good man, I wish i could meet you somewhere along the road but right now, the most i can go is up to north dakota at anytime for budget reason. We just came from FMCA rally in Albuquerque and spend a lot of money. Tnx for the offer. IRV2 forum is the way to go. Tnx again.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Your welcome, maybe somebody in your neck of the woods has had the upgrade and you could test drive. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Thank you for the info. Seemingly, I wasted money on MCU's and KONI shocks. Poor guy like me, biting a false AD. I want to hear
Jim

I purchased a "New" 2008 Cayman XL in February of 2010. I was unaware of the trailing arm problem at the time of purchase but have since decided to replace mine as a safety issue. I'll deal with the Old and New Monaco later. I have had 8 RV's and had forgotten about the ride characteristics of a 36' 4 bag coach. We love our Cayman except for the harsh ride. Since I was replacing the trailing arms I decided to go all in and get your New Ride enhancement Kit at the same time. It was installed yesterday and I took the coach for a 75 mile test ride on some of the worst roads in the United States.

I have to agree with the other people who you have posted on your site and on iRV2 almost to the word. Your system is great. The coach no longer beats itself up, or jars you teeth when hitting rough patches. The suspension does absorb the shock much like jumping off a chair and bending your legs to cushion the jolt. I could not ask for a better ride with this set up. It literally saves the wear and tear on the coach itself. This is one thing that I have spent my money on that I am truly satisfied with. Great Job.

Thanks

Richard
more from those who tried this enhancement kit.Tnx again.
Hi

I sent this e-mail to Source 4/29/2010
Rscheuble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #65

First posting. Didn't quite get it right. I'll try again.

I sent this to Source on 4/29/2010

Jim

I purchased a "New" 2008 Cayman XL in February of 2010. I was unaware of the trailing arm problem at the time of purchase but have since decided to replace mine as a safety issue. I'll deal with the Old and New Monaco later. I have had 8 RV's and had forgotten about the ride characteristics of a 36' 4 bag coach. We love our Cayman except for the harsh ride. Since I was replacing the trailing arms I decided to go all in and get your New Ride enhancement Kit at the same time. It was installed yesterday and I took the coach for a 75 mile test ride on some of the worst roads in the United States.

I have to agree with the other people who you have posted on your site and on iRV2 almost to the word. Your system is great. The coach no longer beats itself up, or jars you teeth when hitting rough patches. The suspension does absorb the shock much like jumping off a chair and bending your legs to cushion the jolt. I could not ask for a better ride with this set up. It literally saves the wear and tear on the coach itself. This is one thing that I have spent my money on that I am truly satisfied with. Great Job.

Thanks

Richard
Rscheuble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Had the REK installed on 4/29 and drove approx 65 miles to where I'll be for the next 7 days before the approx 1000 mile trip home. Home is where the pot holes and frost heaves are the main part of the road.

I'll be able to give a better report after the trip home but must say the 65 miles were a much better ride than before the REK. However, one thing I did notice was that when approaching something I would normally brace myself for, I found after passing it that I didnít have to. Iíd like to say that it was all because of the REK but in the spirit of full disclosure the tech that did the work told me the oem left front shock was bad and the front ride height was almost 2 inches higher than it should. So my comparison between the oem and source systems may not be true apple to apple.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #67

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So what is the ride enhancement kit cost installed? I have the trailing arms done already, but might be interested in the ride enhancement.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
If the coach in your signature is correct, I believe, you have the Workhorse chassis. The trailing arms and ride enhancement kit being discussed here are for the RR4R (4 air bag) Roadmaster chassis and would not apply to yours. (edited by me: I just saw in another post that you are looking at a coach with this chassis, so you already knew that. Sorry)

As for installed price, my REK, was the 1st done at Cummins Crosspoint in Fort Wayne, IN. I'll leave the actual price quote to them since mine was their learning curve. My understanding is when they determine their price it will be firm compared to others that adjust according to actual time to install. I will say I did get a quote of approx 3000 from a center that would bill according to actual hours. I'd recommend Cummins Crosspoint.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
2 weeks ago I took my 2007 HR NeptuneXL in for an oil change and asked them to check the trailing arms because they are aware of this situation. And, YES both arms had hairline cracks in them. The cost to replace $1800 (arms), $150 (for shipping of the arms) and about 8-10 hours labor (@$100/hr.) to change them out. This has been turned into my extended warranty. I'm pretty ticked about this malfunction as you all are.
I now have a deposit on a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and am looking forward to going thru with this deal.
Good luck all!
Linda
LRuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Having approx 1200 miles on the Source Engineering REK, I am very satisfied with the performance. No more "out of seat experiences" and only one hanger (usually 90%) fell off the rod of our rear closet. Prior to the REK trips were exhausting due to constant white knuckle driving and bracing for every bump, dip and other irregular road surface. The REK made for a more relaxed, stress free ride. I recommend the REK for those wanting to eliminate/significantly reduce porpoising and that rough ride due to various road conditions.