RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I was wondering what would be the best type of antenna and mounting location. I understand I will need a non-grounded type. I called a CB shop and they wanted to drill two holes in the side of the RV to mount a 4' antenna that would stick 2' over the top of my coach. I also noticed that Camping World installs one through the windshield. Who mounts them on top of RVs?

psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I was wondering what would be the best type of antenna and mounting location. I understand I will need a non-grounded type. I called a CB shop and they wanted to drill two holes in the side of the RV to mount a 4' antenna that would stick 2' over the top of my coach. I also noticed that Camping World installs one through the windshield. Who mounts them on top of RVs?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not wast the time or money on the CW trough the glass mount. You need to get the Marine type which does not require a ground plane. In order to get some range, you will need to have the antenna sticking above the top of the coach.

About all the range you can expect is 3 or 4 miles at best in fairly flat terrain.

Ken
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #4

Paul

Are you wanting to replace the annt, or install a new one. I thought all Monacos came with an annt already installed. Have you looked for the wire? s/Toby
Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It is my understanding that Monaco no longer installs an antenna but does put in the cable. I think it runs up the door post. My coach does not have an antenna at present. My dealer says that they do not install CBs or antennas for them. So I am looking elsewhere.

I found a local shop that would install an antenna on the side of my RV. That would entail not using the Monaco installed cable. They would run the cable on their antenna through the wall.
Esthetically, I would rather have on installed on the roof using the Monaco cable.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 06 Endeavor has one so I would think your Camelot would have one also. The CB antenna is the short thin one with the coils in it. you are right that the cable runs down the A- Piler on the driver side and the connector is tied up in the mess of wires under the dash, very hard to find. The antenna does not operate too well since it is designed to have a ground plane (large piece of metal). The reason the new antenna has to have it's own cable is that they are designed to work without a ground plane but are tuned for a specific cable lenght between CB and Antenna. I am going to a CB shop this week to get one installed so will let you know the results.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
The shop I have been talking to quoted $80 installed. I think it is probably an Everhardt brand---4 foot side mount with two 2" mounting bolts. I will be having something installed next week, so I will be eager to hear how your's went.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #8

Paul

If you want to find the ant wire, remove the two caps on your dash access panel on top on the drivers side and rermove the two screws. You wil find the ant wire laying on top of the wires . My 06 is prewired for the sat ant, but the sat dish is optional. My ant is a small black one about one foot high, same as the dash radio ant. But the other post is right its hard to maintain contack more than 3/4 mile back. And very little in front. s/Toby
Old 07-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
itdave,

Did you get an antenna installed? I was wondering how it went.

Paul
Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Stopped by the RV shop on our way to Yosemite last Thursday. I mentioned using a non ground plane antenna and his comment was "Junk". They took off the top cover over the A Piller on the driver side. They drilled a hole through the fiberglass just in front of the square metal tubing that creates the A Piller. They mounted the antenna to the metal A Piller and ran the lead through fiberglass then down the A Piller channel to the CB raido. With the old roof top antenna I got less than 1/2 a mile TX and RX now I get 3 to 4 miles a great improvement if you want to listen to the junk truckers talk about. The cost was 179 and that included tuning the radio so it worked better.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've never heard of anyone having one installed exactly that way. How long is the antenna and how far does it stick over the top of your coach? I'm glad it has worked out for you. I still haven't installed anything yet. Mine RV goes back to the dealer tomorrow to have some more bugs worked on. We will be off to Colorado in 3 weeks.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Toby,

I took off the access panel and even the panel covering the A piller. The only coax is the one that goes to the am/fm radio. I do have the CB antenna though. Looks good. What a joke! CB ready! The salesman had told me that there was no CB cable. Guess I proved him right.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Paul,
With what I have learned you are not missing anything by not having a cable. The antenna doesn't work well anyhow.

The antenna is about 2 feet long it is mounted just 6 inches below the roof line. Looks like about 18 inches are above the roof. Like I said the mounting bracket is screwed to the metal tubing that make up the A piller.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
Thanks for the info. That sounds like the kind of antenna that I would like to have installed. I will look for one like it.

Paul