RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ceiling Fan in Saloon (Living Room)

Has anyone installed a ceiling fan in the Saloon (Living Room) ? I have a 42" fan in the bedroom and decided I can't live without one up front. If you visit and are over 6'3" or so you may get a haircut

I ordered a remote control 42" fan which will arrive Thursday.
https://www.rvandmarine.com/product/...-motorhome-42/

Fortunately there are rope lights there to use for a power source, I'll either switch them to LED or abandon them, that circuit is rated more than enough for the fan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #2

I would love to add a fan - but my coach does not have a mounting bracket in the living area or bedroom.

How do you plan to mount your fan?
How much "meat" is in the ceiling to attach the fan mounting bracket to?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I would love to add a fan - but my coach does not have a mounting bracket in the living area or bedroom.

How do you plan to mount your fan?
How much "meat" is in the ceiling to attach the fan mounting bracket to?
Mounting is not a problem. Your coach has trusses just like your house. Use a stud finder and locate the one you need. Mount a ceiling hugger fan for max clearance. Use a pancake style electric box if you must. (look at the base of a ceiling hugger and the size of an electric box and it will come to you). I'm an electrician and have installed loads of cans without a box. Joints are made up in the cup of the fan. I tapped off the AC for electric. 120 volts located there.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. These coaches have a long cover assembly under the two front AC units. It rotates down to access the AC units.
There is a 110v AC junction box next to the AC's and you can connect a small 12v power supply to it to power the fan. It only requires 1.2A at 12v.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
BJ's also has a 2.5" recessed bezel that should recess the fan about 2" into the AC cover. The fan is only 5 1/2" from the mounting plate to the lowest point (fan blades) so with the recessed bezel it would only hang 3 1/2".
I need to take some measurements with the slideouts in to make sure they do not hit the larger fan.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vito, is this the one you are looking at? https://www.rvandmarine.com/product/...-recess-bezel/

I don't think it is available any more, I looked at those and haven't seen any availability in the last year or so. It looks like a neat idea.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Will it fit with that width of blades? With the slides in?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

I am close to 6'2 and my Exec has about the same interior height as your Signature, I can't imagine there being room for a ceiling fan and being comfortable walking around, wouldn't it be easier to purchase a small fan to sit on dinette for the few days you will actually use it ?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Actually a 2002 Exec has a 79" interior height and a 2007 Sig has an 84" interior height. Monaco offered a bedroom ceiling fan starting in 2006, but not a living room fan.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #10

Thanks Vito, my mistake.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:59 AM   #11

I installed a 120-volt ceiling hugger from HD. Clears my slide with the light kit installed.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:09 AM   #12

I need (want) a 12V ceiling fan so I don't need to run romex wire in the ceiling - since I have 12V power in location already for the ceiling lights and indirect lighting.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Monaco offered a bedroom ceiling fan starting in 2006, but not a living room fan.
I added the 42" bedroom fan in satin nickle with almond blades 2 years ago, the wiring was in place as was the hole for the switch which made for an extremely easy install. Those were the colors Monaco Parts said was original & it looks great. Monaco used shorter blades though. I guess whoever ordered the coach couldn't afford the $119 option.

I'm not real sure the 42" fan is really 42" as I just measured the bedroom fan at 39". Regardless, the motor is the same for all fan blade lengths so any length blade Trusty sells will work. The fan will arrive tomorrow, I can check it then. I didn't measure the width with the slides closed, I have a set of shorter blades so it doesn't matter, but I'll post the results so you know.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As stated, make sure it will fit with slides in !!!

My factory ordered Redwood fifth wheel had a fan in the Living area that I had to make sure was turned JUST so to make sure opposing slides wouldn't hit it....

WELL, forgot one time! and snapped that fan blade off in a SECOND !!!

Tags
ceiling, fan