Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ceiling Sagging at Joints

Good morning all and Happy New Year.
A few of the “T” shaped joint splices in my padded ceiling have popped loose from their engagement channel allowing the ceiling to start to sag. I can push my hand up and on the “T” splice at the joint and hear the splice engage, but when I release the pressure from my hand, I can hear and feel the “T” splice release. I’m assuming the “T” itself may be worn out or broken or the same may be happening to the engagement channel attached to the underside of the roof or the engagement channel itself may have released from the roof.
Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? If not, does anyone know the procedure to remove the “T” clip without damaging either the clip or the padded ceiling panel?I found an earlier post on where to buy the replacement “T” clip and channel, but I’m not sure how to remove safely them.
Thank you in advance for the help.
Nothing but great information on this site and I thank you all.
Cheers,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You`ll probably have to remove the panels to access the channel --The padded panels are glued to a luan panel -- That luan panel may have come loose from the roof truss -- Removing the padded panel without destroying it will be a chore, if not impossible -- It makes a heck of a mess when removing the padded panel, because of the styrofoam being glued to the luan -- Has to be scraped off -- Depending on where your problem is, no cabinets have to be removed -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

The "T" is just trim, designed to finish the gap between the 2 adjoining overhead panels. It's not designed to carry much weight at all. I sounds like maybe the contact cement between the headliner material and the luan above it, or the luan itself to the foam/roof structure above it, is letting go. In either case a careful repair is possible.

Worst case is the possibility you have a water intrusion issue causing that luan to delaminate. There, you could be in trouble as once the luan has started to delaminate it's generally due to rot. This will be a much more involved/expensive repair involving repair of the roof leak, and the replacement of that sheet of luan.

In either case, I would encourage you to get the repair done ASAP as it's not going to get any better by itself. If left it will almost undoubtedly get worse.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't think it was going to be easy. Bill, I think you may have hit it with the luan separating from the roof truss. That is what it "feels" like. I'll need to remove the speakers and maybe the AC trim and see if I can see what I have to work with. Luckily, no cabinets will need to be removed.
Thanks again.
Chees,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling