Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Change Power Steering Filter & Fluid

So, this is related to my earlier post about the power steering hiss. I've decided to change the filter and refill the fluid.

My owners manual gave me the part number and says 1 filter so I bought two in order to have one for next time.

Well, I get home and take a look at the canister. To me it looks like the canister is big enough for 3 stacked up. Before I take it apart, is that correct?

Next, the manual says the system is filled at the factory with 10W-40 motor oil but refilling should be Dexron III trannie fluid. Really?

Same coach:

2007 HR Endeavor 36PDQ
400 ISL Cummins
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK, let me be VERY clear good Sir. This is CERTAINLY one you DO NOT want to get wrong. I have 10 months of down time and a 15K bill to explain the lesson.

Correct, the filter is VERY large. Note how often the fluid and filter are suppose to be changed....

I can't say what the factory used, it is not listed in my book or I just didn't read it, BUT Dexron III trannie fluid IS the correct fluid.

If you need a new pump for the power steering, it's only 235.00 from Monaco. If you need a new steering gear, it 600.00 from Red Head. If your filter plugs, goes into bypass, and damages the fan drive system, it $15,000 after you source the parts from Iowa, Italy, and England. You will also need to replace all hoses and boil out the supply tank.

Best of LUCK and you can BET that my system is babied more than my sweetie....
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I cannot tell you what filter(s) your coach uses, or the oil it has in it. I can tell you this. My much older coach uses three filters. Through all the years, Monaco used Dexron III oil in some systems, AW46 hydraulic oil in some systems, and 10W30 or 15W40 motor oil in some systems.

Monaco offered no explanation for these differences, and often the owner's manual is wrong.

So, I think you'll first need to figure out what filter(s) you have. You may have to remove them to find that out. Then you need to find out what oil is in your system. Dexron III is red. The others are not, and I don't know how to tell the difference in appearance between hydraulic oil and motor oil.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
OK, let me be VERY clear good Sir. This is CERTAINLY one you DO NOT want to get wrong. I have 10 months of down time and a 15K bill to explain the lesson.

Correct, the filter is VERY large. Note how often the fluid and filter are suppose to be changed....

I can't say what the factory used, it is not listed in my book or I just didn't read it, BUT Dexron III trannie fluid IS the correct fluid.

If you need a new pump for the power steering, it's only 235.00 from Monaco. If you need a new steering gear, it 600.00 from Red Head. If your filter plugs, goes into bypass, and damages the fan drive system, it $15,000 after you source the parts from Iowa, Italy, and England. You will also need to replace all hoses and boil out the supply tank.

Best of LUCK and you can BET that my system is babied more than my sweetie....
I have to respectfully disagree with part of your post.

1) The filter is in fact relatively small, and it is possible to get the filter from autopart shops like Napa - very inexpensive and very easy to change.

2) As for the fluid, my manual says that my system is filled with motor oil. I thought this was a misprint in the manual, and for that reason I contacted Monaco directly and asked. They did confirm that is was in fact motor oil that was used. Have a look at my manual page 220.

Here is the exact answer that I got from Mr Bob Presson when I posted the question to Monaco:

"It is motor oil since about 2003 we have used motor oil in this application for the Diplomat and Endeavor hope that makes sense."

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with part of your post.

1) The filter is in fact relatively small, and it is possible to get the filter from autopart shops like Napa - very inexpensive and very easy to change.

2) As for the fluid, my manual says that my system is filled with motor oil. I thought this was a misprint in the manual, and for that reason I contacted Monaco directly and asked. They did confirm that is was in fact motor oil that was used. Have a look at my manual page 220.

Here is the exact answer that I got from Mr Bob Presson when I posted the question to Monaco:

"It is motor oil since about 2003 we have used motor oil in this application for the Diplomat and Endeavor hope that makes sense."

Guys we need to be careful here. The original poster does not have a side radiator coach and thus will not have a hydraulic fan. In that respect he has a smaller filter. As to if he has AW46 or transmission fluid I don't know and Monaco was all over the map on this one. Our system has the AW46.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #6

First: I've never noticed if the side radiator with hydraulically driven fan, is tied into the power steering system.

Regarding the oil, most all heavy trucks I've dealt with for 35+ years used a Vickers vein pump. Most units came with ATF but Mack trucks recommended the same motor oil as we used in the engine (usually 10w40). Go figure?
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

I have a side rad 2004 Monaco Camelot 350 ISC. I just changed hydraulic filters, there is 3 in my RV all the same type. The fluid was red in colour, not motor oil, here where I am in Canada it takes the Dexron 111 {spelling?] as temperature can get cold. As to the pump I only know it probable is the original. I have 40000 plus miles on the coach, to my knowledge this is first change out. It was needed now, as it did have a smell to it that was strong compared to the oil that was pumped out. No change that I could see as to steering effect. Filters in the usa are about $9 dollars each. Here in Canada I paid $30.00 each. Purchased at local heavy truck dealer. Oil I had so I cannot price that. Filters are Nelson 84101B,side fan is also powered from this oil filter source on my coach.Ryder Fleet Products USA have the filters. It is a very easy job to do.
Good Luck
rebel
rebelcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The hydraulic filter and fluid is all over the map as Bob said. Mine only has one small filter and uses the AW46 oil.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
In the owners manual, for our 07 Camelot, side radiator, it calls for a spin on hydraulic filter, when in fact it takes 3, 84101B filters -- Our system is filled with AW-46 - Bill Willard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Camelot 001.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	45155  
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
The hydraulic filter and fluid is all over the map as Bob said. Mine only has one small filter and uses the AW46 oil.
Don
My 2005 Endeavor manual says to use 15W-40 motor oil. It is not red so I know it's not Dexron III. Is there any way to tell the difference between 15W-40 & AW-46? I probably need to add a bit after yesterday's fishing trip.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My filters are same as Bill's picture (stacked 3 high) but my 06 Camelot is filled with Dexron III. I used Valvoline Dex/Merc in mine last year. Seems there is no standard for Monaco hyd systems across the years.

Don
Don_SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie300s View Post
Don
My 2005 Endeavor manual says to use 15W-40 motor oil. It is not red so I know it's not Dexron III. Is there any way to tell the difference between 15W-40 & AW-46? I probably need to add a bit after yesterday's fishing trip.
Hydraulic oil will have a clearer appearance than 15w40 motor oil due to the detergents added for an internal combustion engine. It won't be much, but certainly noticeable even to an untrained eye.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This has been a discussion that has been hashed out before. It's darn near impossible to know if you have AW46 Fluid or motor oil. Monaco really did a disservice here. I know my coach only uses the single filter (Nelson 83213D) while others use three filters.

I'm wondering if the single is for the rear radiator coaches and the three filters are for the side radiator coach. Is anyone using three filters on a rear radiator coach?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
This has been a discussion that has been hashed out before. It's darn near impossible to know if you have AW46 Fluid or motor oil. Monaco really did a disservice here. I know my coach only uses the single filter (Nelson 83213D) while others use three filters.

I'm wondering if the single is for the rear radiator coaches and the three filters are for the side radiator coach. Is anyone using three filters on a rear radiator coach?
Mine is rear radiator with a single Nelson 84365A filter (per the manual, not verified).
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, power, steering