Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Changing out coolant

We now have the radiator out and are considering changing the coolant out from the green stuff to the red stuff but we are having a problem getting the coolant out of the dash heater circuit and the Aqua hot. Any suggestions? We tried running the Aqua Hot engine preheat system with no success.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Richard You have to be awful careful about mixing different types of coolant, you should refill with plain water and run the coach with the heater on until it warms up then drain and make sure the two coolants are compatable before refilling with the red stuff.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Final Charge by Peak. Change radiator filter if you have one, that contains no SCA's.
You can find it a Walmart 50/50 mix. You will need 12+ gallons.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the need to not mix coolant types is why we are trying to figure out how to purge the coolant out of the front of the coach. If we don't feel confident that we have evacuated the green stuff, then we will not make the change.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Watch this it may help.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
We now have the radiator out and are considering changing the coolant out from the green stuff to the red stuff but we are having a problem getting the coolant out of the dash heater circuit and the Aqua hot. Any suggestions? We tried running the Aqua Hot engine preheat system with no success.
Walt and I attended a Cummins seminar in February given by a Cummins Engineer. He did not recommend changing the coolant type and suggested staying with the original. He also said we should not change coolant on a time based schedule and only change it if the PH was less than 7 or greater than 10. He said to use a three way test strip such as the Fleetguard CC2602.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby View Post
Final Charge by Peak. Change radiator filter if you have one, that contains no SCA's.
You can find it a Walmart 50/50 mix. You will need 12+ gallons.
Interesting info from their FAQ's page...

Q: My truck is using a conventional coolant, and I would like to change to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze. How do I convert my truck?

A: With the FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Extended Life Coolant Fleet Conversion Program, you can convert a truck using conventional or fully formulated coolants to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze without having to drain, flush and refill the cooling system. At the center of this program is FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter. FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter is formulated with a special blend of FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze's patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) inhibitors with Contamination Tolerant Additives. A one-time dose of FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter is specifically formulated to convert properly maintained cooling systems using conventional or fully formulated coolants meeting ASTM D-4985, ASTM D-6210 or TMC RP-329 to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze's patented formula.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Two years ago,flushed it twice last flush with distilled water, went with the Final Charge and changed the coolant filter with no sca's in it.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
Two years ago,flushed it twice last flush with distilled water, went with the Final Charge and changed the coolant filter with no sca's in it.
This is the method I used. Drain, flush with clean water twice running the engine between each. Then a third and last time with distilled water, this time it came out clear with no indication at all of coolant present.

I used the Fleetguard ES Compleat with a filter only, no SCA additives. At 3-years I added the booster and should be good for another 3 or so years before I have to flush and fill it again.

Final Charge is deifinitely easier to come by so next time I may go that route. I just went through my local Cummins dealer here and bought the Fleetguard last time.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
What is the color of the ES Compleat that you used?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Mike,
What is the color of the ES Compleat that you used?
Pinkish, orangish, red. More of a red tint though.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nodine,

Bob, I've been using these strips since I've owned the coach. I've changed the coolant filter yearly, can't remember the level of SCA in it though.

When I first bought my coach, and since I had no maintenance records, I took it to Crosspoint Cummins in Knoxville for a full inspection. They indicated the coolant was good.

The test strips show that my coolant is still good, tested it late last year, I did it twice to confirm results. I've purchased a test kit for JG Lubricant for the coolant but haven't got a chance to run the coach in order to get an acceptable sample. I'm hoping the coolant test will confirm my coolant is still good.

Did the Cummins representative provide any literature with the recommendations to use the original coolant. I had been contemplating changing to the Final Charge but if it isn't recommended I won't do it.

Jim J
Jefferson City Tn
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Nodine,

Bob, I've been using these strips since I've owned the coach. I've changed the coolant filter yearly, can't remember the level of SCA in it though.

When I first bought my coach, and since I had no maintenance records, I took it to Crosspoint Cummins in Knoxville for a full inspection. They indicated the coolant was good.

The test strips show that my coolant is still good, tested it late last year, I did it twice to confirm results. I've purchased a test kit for JG Lubricant for the coolant but haven't got a chance to run the coach in order to get an acceptable sample. I'm hoping the coolant test will confirm my coolant is still good.

Did the Cummins representative provide any literature with the recommendations to use the original coolant. I had been contemplating changing to the Final Charge but if it isn't recommended I won't do it.

Jim J
Jefferson City Tn
Hi neighbor Jim,

No he did not provide any literature and just recommended to stay with the original type coolant.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Bob David did offer to send the literature of the coolant discussion on the Monacoers Forum after the Rally to anyone that wanted it I ask him for a copy but I guess it got lost and I never followed up on it. This reminded me to do that, if I get anything I will post it.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote