RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Changing the Air Dryer Cartridge

Question for those that have replaced theirs.

In the instructions, it says to fully deplete all air out of the system and open the petcocks on the tanks......OK..........that makes sense.

However! How are you supposed to open the petcock on the tank which is in the middle of the coach, if the frame is already almost down to the ground??

Am I missing something?

I purchased a replacement cartridge from a Peterbuilt parts place, but they have not shipped it, nor answered my e-mails. I bought another one on e-bay and it should be here soon.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced mine yesterday and got alot of help on this forum as it was my first time also. It is important to let all of the air out, (I put my levelers down first). Then you will need a strap wrench or very large channel locks to remove the filter. After removing the filter make sure to remove the O ring and toss it with the old filter. The new filter comes with a new O ring and grease for the filter gasket and O ring. The hardest part was getting the old filter off and then it was easy.

Forgot to mention I drained the air from my rear petcock.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Actually it is not important to let the air out as the unloaded does just that unload all the air out of the dryer, it is just a safety percussion and a good one, it is completely unnecessary to open the bleed on the air tanks just blow the air down, use the dump valve or brake peddle to be on the safe side. 20 lb of air pressure is dangerous if conditions are right but even if the check valve failed you would get air out of the filter long before the filter could come loose because the threads are so long and would not allow the filter to come off, I doubt that you would be able to turn the filter with pressure on it any way.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gordon....Not sure what coach you have, but mine has a brass bleeder at the front passenger frame rail, near the generator, (same area as air connections) and one at the hitch on the passenger side.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Here ya go Gordon...........

Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Wow! Do I feel like an idiot! I have looked at those two connections before and never put 2 and 2 together!

Thanks guys!

My cartridge - via EBay will be here on Thursday.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Well surprise! I guess I will have a spare cartridge for next time. Peterbuilt Parts just delivered the one I ordered last week.

I hate it when companies cannot let you know the product has shipped!