Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #29

Guys........... in the rear compartment where the Lambert is located, there are 2 solenoids directly under the Lambert. Are those 2 solenoids suppose to be hot to the touch when the bus is plugged in and charging? The reason I ask is, I got the Lambert to work, the green light is on and a charge is now going to my chassis batteries. The solenoids are hot to the touch. The one closet to the Lambert is really hot, so hot that I cannot keep my hand on it for more that a couple seconds or so. Is this normal,,,,What do you think?

Thanks.........
DonGott
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post
Guys........... in the rear compartment where the Lambert is located, there are 2 solenoids directly under the Lambert. Are those 2 solenoids suppose to be hot to the touch when the bus is plugged in and charging? The reason I ask is, I got the Lambert to work, the green light is on and a charge is now going to my chassis batteries. The solenoids are hot to the touch. The one closet to the Lambert is really hot, so hot that I cannot keep my hand on it for more that a couple seconds or so. Is this normal,,,,What do you think?

Thanks.........
DonGott
Don

My first reaction, as an old electrician, is that there are few electrical components that normally operate in the range of "too hot to touch" with the exception being certain heating ones - and they are designed that way.

But a solenoid is "not" designed to be a high temperature operating unit. I would say that they are energized constantly and should not be.

Mine are certainly not that hot ----

Walt - chime in here, your experience and thoughts????

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ignition Wire for Intellitec Module at battery

No intention to highjack this thread but I have a problem in the same area.

I have a 99 Monaco Diplomat that I thought I had a bad IRD module. I ordered a new Intellitec BIRD module and realized that the "ignition" wire is dead.

Does anyone know where this would be fused? I have checked all I can find to no avail. I did find a relay in the battery compartment that functions with the ignition in the coach and have temporarily tied it in there and all seems to be functioning fine.

I just hate to leave the real ignition lead not working. I do not have any schematics for the coach.

Thanks for any thoughts!
tchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post

Thanks.........
DonGott
Yes, that's normal
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #33

Walt!!!!

I don't know much about that part of the Monaco coach - but one thing you can do is contact Monaco and they are very good at supplying the schematics - at least they have for me.

Possibly Walt has some input - he is far better versed on the Monaco than I am.

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
Yes, that's normal
I did not know if it should be that hot because I'm never in the rear compartment where the battery maintainer is located. Thanks for the input......... DonGott
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Walt!!!!

I don't know much about that part of the Monaco coach - but one thing you can do is contact Monaco and they are very good at supplying the schematics - at least they have for me.

Possibly Walt has some input - he is far better versed on the Monaco than I am.

God Bless

Bill
Are the older schematics available? Would I call the new Monaco?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Don

My first reaction, as an old electrician, is that there are few electrical components that normally operate in the range of "too hot to touch" with the exception being certain heating ones - and they are designed that way.

But a solenoid is "not" designed to be a high temperature operating unit. I would say that they are energized constantly and should not be.

Mine are certainly not that hot ----

Walt - chime in here, your experience and thoughts????

God Bless

Bill
I just got off the phone with Monaco (Chris) and he said that those 2 solenoids have nothing to do with the battery maintainer. If the bus is plugged in to shore power they will be hot. Found where that extra wire goes and the Lambert is working............
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Way to go Monaco!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchester View Post
No intention to highjack this thread but I have a problem in the same area.

I have a 99 Monaco Diplomat that I thought I had a bad IRD module. I ordered a new Intellitec BIRD module and realized that the "ignition" wire is dead.

Does anyone know where this would be fused? I have checked all I can find to no avail. I did find a relay in the battery compartment that functions with the ignition in the coach and have temporarily tied it in there and all seems to be functioning fine.

I just hate to leave the real ignition lead not working. I do not have any schematics for the coach.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Sepisllib, thanks for your suggestion.

I called Monaco and talked to tech support. They guy was very helpful. He told me quickly that the IRD ignition circuit power came from fuse 33 in the driver’s side compartment and that it ran through a relay on the firewall that was active when the generator was to avoid a double charge situation. I either have a blown fuse or my relay is faulty.

I saw on my Onan 7.5 generator that there was an option to add charging ability to it. This was not done per tech support. I wanted to make sure I didn’t' have something else to conflict with charging.

Tech support was very helpful even on a older model!

Tom
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchester View Post
Sepisllib, thanks for your suggestion.

I called Monaco and talked to tech support. They guy was very helpful. He told me quickly that the IRD ignition circuit power came from fuse 33 in the driver’s side compartment and that it ran through a relay on the firewall that was active when the generator was to avoid a double charge situation. I either have a blown fuse or my relay is faulty.

I saw on my Onan 7.5 generator that there was an option to add charging ability to it. This was not done per tech support. I wanted to make sure I didn’t' have something else to conflict with charging.

Tech support was very helpful even on a older model!

Tom

Quick update... my fuse was fine but the relay he told me about was wired wrong. The wrong terminals were switched. I used a test light and wired it correctly and all is working well.

The factory did wire this relay to trigger with the indicator light so it triggers everytime the light blinks (while starting.) Will work but I plan to change the wire to the B+ lead that runs the Hobbs meter to make the relay trigger only when the generator is running. According to the manual for the gen there is another terminal for this connection.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
On my Imperial it is in the last compartment on the pass. side. The 2 disconnect switches are there and some fuse holders and toward the rear is the lambert. Mine looks different than the picture posted above but it has a small green led light on it. On mine when you lift up the door it has a diagram with everything named. I will be corrected if I'm wrong but it could be your battery isolator that is bad. My maintainer was out and I tapped the isolator and the led light lit up again. Good luck it's not fun working on them when it's cold out!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
On my Imperial it is in the last compartment on the pass. side. The 2 disconnect switches are there and some fuse holders and toward the rear is the lambert. Mine looks different than the picture posted above but it has a small green led light on it. On mine when you lift up the door it has a diagram with everything named. I will be corrected if I'm wrong but it could be your battery isolator that is bad. My maintainer was out and I tapped the isolator and the led light lit up again. Good luck it's not fun working on them when it's cold out!!
Thanks to all about this thread............. alot has been resolved, one last question. The green LED light on the maintainer................ does it ever turn off? Thanks

DG
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #41

The LED on my friends coach never lites up yet his Lambert bat maintainer work fine otherwise. Then on a coach we had, the LED lite up as if the maintained was working fine, but it was NOT.

My point is "do the in vehicle test" as described in this thread in post#3 to be sure.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Hey guys...as the Monaco Dynasty is basically the same as Holiday Rambler Endeavor...where do you think the Lambert box may be on my Endeavor?

I'm headed out to look for this box as I'm having the same issue with dead chassis batteries.

Any input would be appreciated!

Update...just got back in. I don't see anything in the rear compartments except the Trace Inverter (pass side) and the Todd electrical switch box on the drivers side.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis