Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Chassis Battery Negative Post Switch

Has any one tried using a negative post battery switch on their chassis batterys? I have parasitic loads on my chassis battery while in storage even when both chassis and coach main battery disconnect switches are turned off.
I have noticed 3 wires coming directly off the positive side of the chassis battery not going thru the main cutoff switches.
Somewhere i've read that the engine and trans ECU's need constant power as well as propane monitors.

Your Thoughts

zsss
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I used on on a previous coach with no problem. You will loose the programming of your radio but that is no big deal. Should not have a problem with other systems that are not powered.

I now use a 15-watt solar cell and it does a good job of keeping the batteries topped off in storage. I have a Trik-L-Start connected between the house and chassis batteries. Some will say this is not enough power to charge the batteries, but in fact it does. I also exercise the generator every 30 days while in storage.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
zzzs:
If you store your rig outdoors, then Rex's recommendation (using your installed solar panel) should keep both banks charged. Problem is that (in Monaco's great wisdom), they only provide solar charging juice to the house batts.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Robi

We store indoors so the solar panels don't work, we used to plug in but on 2 ocasions we found the chassis battery dead and the 20amp circut breaker tripped. Not sure why the power tripped I did check and change the inverter amp draw for charging from 15 amps to 10 but haven't tried it again for fear of destroying our chassis batteries. They can only take so many dead cycles.
I think the reason the chassis batteries died was the xantrex inverter.
Whenplugged in to AC, the inverter must be set to Charge and when AC power is lost it takes power from where ever it can the chassis battery.

So now we don't plug in and turn off the battery switches.

I plan on using a negative battery post switch for the chassis batteries because there are three hot wires going from the positive battery post to some where. I think these are parasitic loads that bypass the battery disconnect switch although it's hard to believe that these loads can draw down 2 heavy duty batteries in amatter of 2 to 3 weeks.

I'm currently lose 20% power every week using the battery disconnect switch.
I wonder where those hot leads go what will happen when I disconnect for an extended period.

ZZZS
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzs View Post
I wonder where those hot leads go what will happen when I disconnect for an extended period.
While I don't own your brand RV - it's common on many rigs to use the chassis battery as a "backup" alternative source of power to the electric steps as well as fire/carbon monoxide/propane detectors - my guess is those small wires are connected to these devices. Turning those off while the rig is stored won't harm anything.

To my knowledge the only downside of turning off the chassis battery is that your rig might run lousy for a short time while the on board computer resets itself - unless your going straight to the DMV for a smog check then that should not pose a problem.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzs View Post
Hi Robi

We store indoors so the solar panels don't work, we used to plug in but on 2 ocasions we found the chassis battery dead and the 20amp circut breaker tripped. Not sure why the power tripped I did check and change the inverter amp draw for charging from 15 amps to 10 but haven't tried it again for fear of destroying our chassis batteries. They can only take so many dead cycles.
I think the reason the chassis batteries died was the xantrex inverter.
Whenplugged in to AC, the inverter must be set to Charge and when AC power is lost it takes power from where ever it can the chassis battery.

So now we don't plug in and turn off the battery switches.

I plan on using a negative battery post switch for the chassis batteries because there are three hot wires going from the positive battery post to some where. I think these are parasitic loads that bypass the battery disconnect switch although it's hard to believe that these loads can draw down 2 heavy duty batteries in amatter of 2 to 3 weeks.

I'm currently lose 20% power every week using the battery disconnect switch.

ZZZS
If it was me, I'd move those non-critical direct wires to the other side of your battery disconnect. I would also ensure they have in-line fuses installed. I wouldn't think the engine computer memory would use too much juice to maintain but I would move those other loads..I'm thinking that would be better than adding another switch to remember or fail on me..
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis