Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Chassis Power Switch, no response

Good Morning! We are new to RV’ing and of course new here. This last June we purchased a 2010 Holiday Rambler Arista. We have had a lot of fun so far and have learned a few things on the way. Currently I am stuck and need some help/advice. So thank you in advance.

We store our RV in a storage shed, and when we park it there I turn off both power switches (chassis, and cabin). We used it last Saturday (running the generator, and gas furnace most of the day dry-docked at a football tailgate). Yesterday when I went to start it up to bring it to the house for cleaning out and ready for long storage, only the cabin power switch worked (LED lite up). There wasn’t any activity on the chassis power switch. So, I couldn’t start the RV, and the boost didn’t work. The front console is as dark as midnight, zero power. My first plan was to bring in a battery booster today, let it sit on the engine battery for 5-10 then see what happens.

Does anyone have any other ideas or diagnoses to help with this problem?

Link to owners manual: http://www.holidayrambler.com/resour...010_Arista.pdf

TIA

-keep
keepngoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Early last year we were getting ready for a trip and when I tried to start it nothing. Prior to this when trying to start we would sometimes of to turn the ignition 2-3 times before power to the dash would come on.

My first instinct was to check the chassis battery disconnect switch. On my rig is is a round rotary switch. I took the switch off and tested continuity with a meter, no matter how I turned the switch it would show a connection so I concluded it was bad.

I went ahead and bolted the 2 cables together, essentially eliminating the disconnect switch and the rig started fine.

Since I also have a switch like this on the house side I bought 2 for ~$100 and kept one as a spare. We seldom use these switches as I keep the coach plugged in at home all the time. I did try to take the old one apart to see what the problem was but really couldn't tell.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

UPDATE:

Thank you for the reply.

The car battery (chassis) is full, as it wouldn't take a charge from the booster we brought in.

I took the switch panel off and inspected what I could see. It appeared to be fine. Then I long pressed the chassis switch (7-8 seconds) and it turned on. So.... we have power and it is now at the house for cleaning. I suspect the switch is faulty, so I will look into replacing it.

Interestingly the radio doesn't work, there isn't any power to it. I haven't looked at the fuse, but plan to later today.

Anyhoo, I look forward to browsing this site and helping where I can, and learning all I can.

-keep
keepngoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, power, switch