RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Chicago Trip Routing Alternatives - Help!

We are attending the annual HR Maintenance Session in Goshen, IN outside Elkhart in a couple weeks. Once we finish there, we are headed west to Austin, MN. Our problem is that we are hesitant to tackle the Chicago area with a 40' MH and Toad in tow. The whole area from Gary west thru Chicago seems a madhouse for sure.

We haven't been thru the Chicago area since back in the late 60's. We are just not sure how the roads are for a rig our size and would prefer to not use toll roads. We considered dropping down to Rt 6, connect with US 30 and then connect with I-80 west of Chicago but the route still hedges mighty close to the city and we're not sure about the road condition or congestion.

We are open to any recommendations from those who have traveled this or any other route.
Thanks,

Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #2

I would stay away from route 30, it takes forever. Take 80/90 west from Elkhart and then pick up 80 west around Portage. Stay on 80 west to 39 north and then 39 to Wisconsin. Yes, you will have some tolls, but you will avoid the Chicag traffic.

justlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Folks, I would take 31 around South Bend up to I-80/90 then go West to I-80/94 continue West to I-80 You'll have to take the Il. Tollway from Il./Ind. border to I-80. Keep going West to I-39 then go North into Wis. and on to Minn. via I-90/94. You might also go to www,aaa.com and use their Trip Tick helper to plot your trip. There is alot of construction going on now. You could also take I-294 around Chicago to I-90 then NW to Rockford where it hits I-39. More traffic and Tolls this way. Depends what time of day and if it's during the week-end. Good Luck!! Popcorn Man 2008 Allegro
Popcorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
I would stay away from route 30, it takes forever. Take 80/90 west from Elkhart and then pick up 80 west around Portage. Stay on 80 west to 39 north and then 39 to Wisconsin. Yes, you will have some tolls, but you will avoid the Chicag traffic.

This is very sound advice!

IF..... construction wasnt going on, i would have diverted you to I355 N to I90. this is a great cut and would save time going to 39.

however, I355 is messed up and has narrowed roads at Butterfield Rd. then I90 has some work going on at the Fox River.

Take his advice. its not worth it otherwise.

PM me if you want further details. id be glad to assist
Pappy2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I'd route it this way:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Goshen, IN to Austin, MN.pdf (169.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #6

also.... on I80.. if you go a mile past I39 you will hit a Flying J

LaSalle
I-80 Rte 351 Exit 77

very easy to get back to I39 north

Pappy2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you one and all. This is the kind of info I was looking for. You renewed my confidence in the 80/90 route, even though it has tolls. Thanks again.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I just moved from Minneapolis to Tennessee. We routinely go back and forth via the toll road. I found it easier to buy an I-Pass on-line and use it in the RV. If you think that you may be using I-Pass tollroads on a regular basis it might make sense to get the pass and then not have to navigate the "on-off", pay as you go, toll booths. They're available on the internet for $10 and then you fill them on-line too.

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote