Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Cleaning Fiberglass Roof

Our Dynasty has a fiberglass roof. This summer we did not use our unit. The humidity has been horrible and it has rained way more than normal. I park between our attached garage and trees. Lots of dirt gets on the roof. With that humidity the roof is more black than white. Monaco does not paint the roof it does have some gelcoat but not much. I got up on the roof this afternoon and I can get it cleaner but lots of black spots remain. I am using Dawn and a semi stiff brush. I am afraid to use any cleaning product that is strong as it might affect the clear coat on the sidewalls. Any suggestions. I read of one owner that used Simple Green. Thanks.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used simple green on my fiberglass roof, but I had the wife spraying down the sides at the same time so the run off would not dry on the sides
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

I used bar keepers friend on my roof before I put zep on it. I also had my wife spraying down the sides just in case. I did not notice any difference in the sidewalls afterward. My roof wasn't bad at all as it is stored indoors since it was new. But it did have a few dirty spots that really came clean with bkf.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I do the same as you, I is use a mild car washing product and a stiff bristled brush and do about a quarter at a time.

I have not had to do mine when it has been as black as you describe but when I did take delivery of it back in 2007 I don't think it had been done at all from the original owner and it was pretty filthy. It took me about three times back to back to get it where I was happy with it.

Now I do it twice a year unless I have a specific reason to do it more. Such as a trip to Teton NP this past June and this green dust, I am assuming some kind of pollen, completely covered the coach roof, slide toppers and my Jeep. I had just washed it about a month prior but that sparked the need to get back up there and wash it again upon returning home.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I like "Bar Keepers Friend" and a "White" scrubby if necessary. it does leave a residue, so you would need to rinse well as you go.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Quit using dishwashing liquid, it is designed to cut grease and most car or rv manuals I've read suggest not using it. Use a product designed for cars, boats, etc. Add a bit of bleach to the wash bucket which will help axe the mold, mildew, black stuff.

Now what I do for my rubber roof is to mix a batch of washing liquid, bleach, water in a yard sprayer and just spread the roof with just enough to wet things completely and let it stand for 10-15 minutes then hose it all off and spray the stubborn section again. I may use a soft bristle brush but usually not needed.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

THX for all the tips. I used Dawn as that is what car nuts use to prepare their vehicles for wax. I wet the sides of the unit and applied even more water when rinsing. I am about 75% done. I did add a small amount of simple green. It is not perfect but when I get the unit to my shop in Mexico some semi aggressive polishing compound and my buffer should do the job. Bleach scares the heck out of me. It probably would work but is just too dangerous for clear coat. I will also try the bar keepers friend.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On my 'to do ' list is to clean the fiberglass roof and then coat it with Nyalic. I used it on a boat hull and revived the weather beaten pain on an old car with it. Spendy, but should keep it nice up there for at least several years.
Nyalic®
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Two rolls of paper towels

I've tried a lot of things to clean black crud, black spots from trees, and just generally dirty roofs. The only thing I've found that works perfectly, instantly, and without any significant amount of elbow grease is any one of the "super cleaners" like 409, Greased Lightning, Purple Stuff, etc.

The problem with using them is that they wreak havoc on painted/waxed surfaces like the sides of your coach. I found it exceptionally easy to simply spray a small area with the cleaner, and almost immediately wipe it up with a paper towel. Pitch the paper towel over the side and pick them all up when you are done. This keeps you from exposing any of the painted surfaces to the cleaner, but you get to use it full strength.

Wash with soap and water afterwards, let dry and apply four coats of Zep. Your roof will not only be snowy white, but shiny. For about a year, nothing will stick to the Zep, and you can just wash it normally with a soapy brush.

I've done this on two coaches for over five years and it has worked great for me. I have never seen any evidence of damage to the gelcoat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Clean 2.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	105693  
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

Thanks Van.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For over 50 years I have used Comet Cleanser to clean stains on white fiberglass on boats, Rv's and white fiberglass truck caps/shells. The bleach in the Comet works great but removes all wax.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I use an electric pressure washer on a low setting. It takes me about 1/2 hour to do the roof......Bruce
Old 09-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I use fantastic on the roof. It works fantastically.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Just finished my roof. Simple Green, as it is a disinfectant for any mold. Used a stiff brush and hosed off. Have three coats of ZEP, and one more in the morning. White and shinny....looks good. Went over portion of side with no-water wax, and that looks great also. Do not like being up there, but it is something that should be done.

Tags
roof