Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

Thinking about it, maybe I will get a set of spade bits for my drill and then cut a large hole to a depth of 1/8 of an inch to countersink the elevator bolt head along with a large washer to increase the overall surface area of each fastener location. I could Proflex each spot as well to prevent any moisture from getting in there.
cgreer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #16

I would not cut into bottom of slide with spade bit. If you want more surface coverage, use the elevator bolts ( correct length you need) with maybe 2"x2" or 4"x4" piece of SS 1/8" thick. Do not compress the bottom of slide very much, it will distort the bottom due to a few layers of different materials. Seal with Proflex as use install elevator bolt is a good idea.
Try using a magnet to find the metal located in the bottom of slide might work.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
x2 what 10boomer said about not wanting to compress the flooring. When I did the SS plate for my bedroom rollers, in a couple places all I found was some luaun (sp?) paneling and foam-core in between the framing. Yours may be different tho.

I don't think elevator bolts (or maybe even carriage bolts) will damage that seal, if at all. The seals don't seem to get much force on them (as opposed to being dragged over the bolt-heads), more like a simple wiping force. My seals are still fine after years of use going over my rounded-head screws.

And IIRC, the framing I found inside was aluminum.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
One more thought about the elevator-bolts...

If you can weld or know someone who does, you could weld a piece of all-thread to the threaded-end of the bolt to get that extra length that you need.

Use a short elevator-bolt, and have a longer piece of all-thread put on the end - that way the weld won't distort the threads at the joint.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not fool around with something that us not mvss certified, go to a salvage yard snd get a couple of captain chairs from a van or motor home tjat are mvss certified and attach them the same way the front chairs are anchored. Saftey is nothing to fool with
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I would not fool around with something that us not mvss certified, go to a salvage yard snd get a couple of captain chairs from a van or motor home tjat are mvss certified and attach them the same way the front chairs are anchored. Saftey is nothing to fool with
I appreciate the tip, but there is no place to mount 2 additional captain chairs that are forward facing, and also captain chairs aren't designed for a child safety seat. Looking around on the web it seems that a lot of people just let their kids roam free in the back, so I am at least taking the precaution of having them secured in their safety seats and am trying to construct the safest possible mount for those seats.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #21

Just to update this thread for future readers: on my Monaco Monarch there is almost zero clearance on the bottom of the slide for bolt heads. When the slide is totally out or totally in, you can't see it, but there is an angled, hard plastic strip of molding along the entire bottom of the frame where the slide goes in and out. If the bolt heads protrude AT ALL, they will catch on this molding and make a terrible noise. I had to countersink the elevator bolts so that they are completely flush to the bottom of the slide and it now goes in and our properly. The previous owner (and some websites I came across) said that there should be enough room for carriage bolts to clear, but that is not the case.

The good news is that my bench is in and we took our first trip last weekend.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #23

Definitely counter sink elevator bolts flush with bottom of finished slide, when slides retract they must pass over metal bracing that is not visable, I had 2 of my couch bolts loosen very slightly after carpet was replaced, could not believe how the power of slides half rounded elevator bolts, I was very lucky I was able to repair without damaging slides. Your coach may have more clearance than 2002 Monaco, but mine has zero clearance.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide