RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 AM   #1

Coach batteries

How long do your coach batteries last if sitting with everything off but the battery switch? Mine goes about 4 days. Is this normal? 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Four days seems way short. Are your batteries old?

I put in new flooded coach batteries recently, and found they will hold a charge for a long time. Several weeks at least, but I shut off inverter and both battery cutoff switches. I have the OEM solar panel so when in storage in summer, it is trickle charging the batteries.

My old batteries were like yours. I couldn’t keep them charged up. I suspect yours may need replacing.

pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

My batteries are less than a year old in my 2005 Camelot. I was getting maybe seven days. I then started cutting the chassis batterys off. Not a problem since. Haven't found what the drain is.
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

On our '06 Dynasty, I know of two locations where loads remain on the coach batteries even with the battery disconnect switch open. There is one fuse board in the rear run box that has the refrigerator, the AquaHot and the Aladdin fuses on it. There are two fuse boards in the front run box that includes: on board #F4, the NAV OS, door lock actuators, CB radio and the security system, and on board #F5, the CO detector, the LP Gas detector and a fuse for the air leveling.

I do know that the two detectors can be a problem for battery drain, but four days is excessive. The refrigerator should be able to be on for several days, too, but it can take your batteries down in days, as opposed to weeks. We are able to store our coach for six to eight weeks without a problem with the battery disconnect open. I did remove the fuses for the CO and the LP detector for storage.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
How long do your coach batteries last if sitting with everything off but the battery switch? Mine goes about 4 days. Is this normal? 2008 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ.
Is the inverter off?.... or just all the AC devices connected to it? Some AC devices, like TV's draw some current load even when they are powered off. The inverter itself has a "no-load current" which it draws off your coach battery system even if none of the AC devices in your coach are on.

When you say "battery switch", do you mean the switch on the console right buy the entry door? (sometimes it's called the "salesmen's switch".) ... or, do you mean a physical switch located at the battery? That salesmans switch is typically wired to turn 12v lights and some other 12v devices. Usually it does not turn off the inverter. Without knowing the current being drawn it is impossible to conclude anything about the batteries.

You could try turning the physical switch at the battery off, if you have one, and see how that affects the time your batteries last. That switch should turn off all loads on the battery.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

Rick reminded me of something. When our '06 Dynasty was built, they connected the inverter positive cable to the rear run box lug that was 5th from the left. That lug was fed thru the parallel breakers that got their power from the incoming line from the battery disconnect switch on the 4th from the left "always hot" lug. That incoming cable came from the coach battery disconnect switch and was on the "always hot" side of that switch. As soon as I found that out, I gained access to the back side of the coach battery disconnect switch and moved that cable to the switched side of the disconnect switch. Now, when I open the coach battery disconnect switch, the inverter is completely off-line. That made a big difference in how long we could store the coach without having the battery die.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

@K7JV, My disconnect switch shuts the inverter. I wonder if that was a design change between '03 and '06 model years or just a fluke.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #8

The batteries are less than one year old. If I turn off the battery disconnect switch they will last months. It is only when the battery disconnect switch is on that they seem to drain fast. I need to check about the inverter being on or off.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit12 View Post
The batteries are less than one year old. If I turn off the battery disconnect switch they will last months. It is only when the battery disconnect switch is on that they seem to drain fast. I need to check about the inverter being on or off.
OK then, so with the battery connected. There are "phantom" or parasitic loads drawing them down in 4 days (96hr). If your coach batteries are typical golfcart batteries at 225AH, your battery bank is rated at 450AH. Drawing batteries down to 50% would mean the coach is drawing about 2.3amp (225/96).

The inverter may have a no load current of 0.5a to 2a depending on the model. AC devices like computers, printers, "instant on" TV's , etc. may also be drawing power with the inverter on.

If your inverter is (completely) off, and you are still drawing the batteries down it's going to take some investigation to find the load. A DC clamp ammeter would be helpful here.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #10

Rick, it must have been a design change, but I don't know why they would have done that. My Monaco drawing #38010014 shows the connections for the batteries, starting, charging, inverter and the rear run box connections, and it does show the inverter ultimately sourcing from the un-switched battery side of the coach battery disconnect. That really does seem like a bad idea to me. If the inverter is always on, there is going to be at least some parasitic load from it, by itself. And it would have the constant load of things like the electronics in the microwave and the entertainment devices that can't be truly off-line without opening circuit breakers. If you have as little as ˝ amp at 120 volts to power those devices, that would translate to 5 amps on the 12 volt side of the inverter. That's about 120 amp-hours of battery load per 24-hour period. That would pretty much account for MIT12's 400 amp-hour batteries being dead in four days.

I don't know what Monaco might have been thinking to move the inverter to the always hot side of the disconnect. Bad idea, in my opinion, and like I say, I moved ours back to "your" side of the switch. Now I can store our coach for weeks and as long as I remember to turn off the refrigerator and the wet-bay thermostat!
Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #11

Oops. Didn't see MIT12's last post before I replied to yours, Rick. Prior to moving the inverter source, we did have turning off the inverter on our "Storage Checklist" to be sure to turn it off. I think that even with it off, it still has a very small parasitic load. For example, even with it off, the remote control panel in the cabin is powered. So there is a very small load still present.

Do check the current draw on your CO DETECTOR and your LP GAS DETECTOR circuits. They were enough of a problem for our coach in storage that I had to do something different with ours, if we wanted to store our coach for very long periods.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Rick, it must have been a design change, but I don't know why they would have done that. My Monaco drawing #38010014 shows the connections for the batteries, starting, charging, inverter and the rear run box connections, and it does show the inverter ultimately sourcing from the un-switched battery side of the coach battery disconnect. That really does seem like a bad idea to me. If the inverter is always on, there is going to be at least some parasitic load from it, by itself. And it would have the constant load of things like the electronics in the microwave and the entertainment devices that can't be truly off-line without opening circuit breakers. If you have as little as ˝ amp at 120 volts to power those devices, that would translate to 5 amps on the 12 volt side of the inverter. That's about 120 amp-hours of battery load per 24-hour period. That would pretty much account for MIT12's 400 amp-hour batteries being dead in four days.

I don't know what Monaco might have been thinking to move the inverter to the always hot side of the disconnect. Bad idea, in my opinion, and like I say, I moved ours back to "your" side of the switch. Now I can store our coach for weeks and as long as I remember to turn off the refrigerator and the wet-bay thermostat!
Glad to hear you moved the power to the "safe" side of the switch.

Your inverter wiring might have been a one-year thing... wonder how it is for others.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Oops. Didn't see MIT12's last post before I replied to yours, Rick. Prior to moving the inverter source, we did have turning off the inverter on our "Storage Checklist" to be sure to turn it off. I think that even with it off, it still has a very small parasitic load. For example, even with it off, the remote control panel in the cabin is powered. So there is a very small load still present.

Do check the current draw on your CO DETECTOR and your LP GAS DETECTOR circuits. They were enough of a problem for our coach in storage that I had to do something different with ours, if we wanted to store our coach for very long periods.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
Wow! I didn't see this when I replied to your earlier post. My RC7 panel also goes off with the inverter. You may want to change that also.

Tags
batteries