RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #15

We originally had a combo in our 2000 HR 5th wheel. It was a non vented unit. However I learned quickly to never go from wash to dry automatically. Once it was done washing I would remove the load, shake things out then start drying. Also people don't understand that the clothing will be dry but still feel steamy. Shake them out and the steam disapates and boom dry with no wrinkles. But once it broke it was replaced with stackables. How much do I love them???? I gave up a bedroom slide to ensure having room for those Whirlpool units!!!!

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #16

We bought a combo for the S&B a few years back. It was labeled as a "Eurotech", but looks identical to the earlier model Splendides I've seen.

After about 6 weeks, 8 service tech visits and still not working to our satisfaction, we got the manufacturer to give our dealer a refund of the wholesale price and went back to a Whirlpool side-by-side pair.

The problems we had were:

1. Very high vibrations on the spin cycle - wallboard nails popping out in the laundry room and pictures falling off the wall in the adjacent bedroom.

2. Very slow drying - four bath towels took 6 hours. I think this was a function of the drier being 115V rather the the 220V of regular residential units.

3. Such small loads that we were running the thing almost 15 hours every day - this for a family of two!

We use laundromats when we're on the road.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
We originally had a combo in our 2000 HR 5th wheel. It was a non vented unit. However I learned quickly to never go from wash to dry automatically. Once it was done washing I would remove the load, shake things out then start drying. Also people don't understand that the clothing will be dry but still feel steamy. Shake them out and the steam disapates and boom dry with no wrinkles. But once it broke it was replaced with stackables. How much do I love them???? I gave up a bedroom slide to ensure having room for those Whirlpool units!!!!
We also had the unvented in our 2001 Ambassador. It did not work well for us. Our present rig has the stacked washer dryer configuration and it works perfectly.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
Since you have used both the older versions of the Splendide and the new one, I was wondering if you have noticed a significant difference in the two. I have the 2005 version and was wondering what I am missing out on.
If I remember correctly, the newer one is .1 or .2 cubic feet bigger. I think that was the only real difference.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
On the road we stop at a "coin" laundry fill several front loading machines .....toss in dryers fold and back to the motorhome to put everything away. We can last two weeks with no shortage of underwear and socks. de Sanford PS we value the space the stack washer and dryer would go and have shelves for sheets and towels etc. The laundry basket is on the bottom.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We have been using an LG ventless combo since 2007. We are very happy with it's performance. Our trick is to use it as the clothes hamper and when it is half full we do the load. If there thing like jeans in the load we open it after the wash cycle and remove the jeans so they can air dry. When the dryer is done we shake out the shirts and stack them on top of each other, this prevents most wrinkles. When we are doing the sheets we just start and forget in fact we have no problem leaving the coach while it is running.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought the Windsor in 2012 the Splendide 2000 would not dry clothes. I finally got around to pulling it out of the hole into the closet where I could open it up. The rubber hose from the tub to the back of the unit where the flexible hose to the outside vent was totally clogged with lint that had not doubt been there for years! I cleaned it and now it works great! It will dry a load of clothes in about 45 minutes!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #22

Tim
About RVing Bookstore - RV LifeStyle - RV Travel Full Time RVing - RV Maintenance - RV Repair
These folks know what they are talking about, and in particular you might want to read Sandy's book: 'Wrinkle-Free RV Laundry' in which she notes the Splendide needs to be used a bit differently, but then its just great. My wife believes our Splendide does better than our old washing machine at home. Our coach had a cabinet for over/under machines but we chose a single unit based upon previous Splendide use and we opted for the additional storage a separate dryer would have occuppied. For sure the dryer operates better with 50 amps versus 30. The spin cycle can be loud and rattles the cabinet doors, but sure beats going to the laundromat.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
We have the same combo unit and agree with this post completely. We have been full time for 7 years now and our combo is the right balance between size and performance. Just be sure it's a unit vented to the outside. The ventless units are less satisfactory.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
X3 You learn not to overload. It does take more time than the home dryer. Cotton doesn't dry as well as synthetics. For a two to three week trip I take three changes of clothes, and we do a load a day. Love to return home with clean clothes. All we have to do is the sheets and towels and what we wore on the road the last day.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
To echo a lot of other folks, our combo Splendide unit has been great. Going on 9 years fulltime, and nary a gripe. Altho it does take a bit longer, the convenience is more than worth it. Also like that it goes from wash to dry automatically - put in a load, go to the store, and when you get home the laundry is ready. I gotta admit we sometimes take big towels to a laundromat (or wait til we stop to visit friends/relatives).

But DON'T try to do a load while traveling. Chatted with a guy at Wildwood that had tried it... he learned the hard way that the drum bearings in the unit were not strong enough to withstand all that spinning/turning while subject to lots of coach-movement. The vibration also broke the washer mountings in the coach. Many dollars later, he still blamed it all on a bad washer/dryer design!

EDIT: Forgot to add that DW was furious with the automatic locking-door mechanism. I found (on here awhile back) a thread on how to disconnect the lock feature, and she's much happier now. As long as we remember to not open the door while the unit is running, it's not an issue for us.
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #25

We also use our Splendide to dry our towels after showering. No need to hang them up to air dry anymore!
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
To echo a lot of other folks, our combo Splendide unit has been great. Going on 9 years fulltime, and nary a gripe. Altho it does take a bit longer, the convenience is more than worth it. Also like that it goes from wash to dry automatically - put in a load, go to the store, and when you get home the laundry is ready. I gotta admit we sometimes take big towels to a laundromat (or wait til we stop to visit friends/relatives).

But DON'T try to do a load while traveling. Chatted with a guy at Wildwood that had tried it... he learned the hard way that the drum bearings in the unit were not strong enough to withstand all that spinning/turning while subject to lots of coach-movement. The vibration also broke the washer mountings in the coach. Many dollars later, he still blamed it all on a bad washer/dryer design!

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to add that DW was furious with the automatic locking-door mechanism. I found (on here awhile back) a thread on how to disconnect the lock feature, and she's much happier now. As long as we remember to not open the door while the unit is running, it's not an issue for us.
Could you give us a link on disabling the door lock feature? Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #27

My wife grew up with a chain of laundromats and she has no desire to wash our clothes in machines the general public has used. Some people do not care at all about the people that will use a machine after they are done de-lousing the dogs blanket or washing the flea ridden cat blanket. Our combo works great and keeps us in all our clothes and linen without a problem for months on end.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
"...Could you give us a link on disabling the door lock feature? Thanks!..."

Took most of last evening digging thru old files to find it, but here it is. Happy to 'Pay-It-Forward'...

Small print: In no way do I endorse or recommend this modification. I only include it for reference and educational-experience.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Defeating 2-minute lockout.pdf (107.7 KB, 74 views)

RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote