Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Compressor or governor issue.

99 beaver patriot... I have 2 needles on my air gauge, 1 green for air bags and 1 orange for I have no clue. I do NOT have air brakes. My brakes our powered by power steering pump then a conventional master cylinder... Here is my issue the green needle cycles perfect. The orange cycles constantly. From 90 to 120. Im thinking air governor? Anyone have an idea what would cause this?
Melski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

You have 2 pressure needles indicating 2 separate tanks. My coach has and uses 4 tanks total. I have air brakes, the very same system that would be on a class 8 truck. What is going on in your situation is you have an air leak in one of your tanks and will have to find it to fix the problem you are experiencing. That needle will reflect the air pressure in the tank only. If it drops its because you are loosing air.

When the air pressure drops it will send a signal via air pressure switch on the tank to the air governor with will start the air compressor and fill the low tank.

The reason the green needle is not dropping is because that tank has a pressure check valve and will only allow the flow of air in one direction. Hence the saying, Primary and Secondary systems.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Like the above post said, your governor is working as it should.

It signals the compressor to pump until cutout pressure is reached. Once the pressure is reached, the governor unloads the compressor valves and it stops pumping.

When the air drops to cut in pressure ( 90 psi ), the governor lets the compressor valves close, so it can raise the pressure back up.

You need to find where the air in that tank is going.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You sure you don't have air over hyd brakes?
Old 11-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Yes im sure.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

I owned big rigs in the past and occasionally the governor would go bad and lose pressure internally. When engine off orangle needle drops much slower than when it running. Not sure it i was losing pressure rapidly while running it would slow down with engine off.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #7

I understand what your saying about engine on and off.

Are there any air powered accessories, like door seals or steps that work with the key on only ?

What kind of parking brake do you have ?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melski View Post
I owned big rigs in the past and occasionally the governor would go bad and lose pressure internally. When engine off orangle needle drops much slower than when it running. Not sure it i was losing pressure rapidly while running it would slow down with engine off.
Do you have a air operated fan drive? If you do, With the key on and a cool engine it will send air to the drive to release it. It's possible the drive needs resealed. Listen for it to leak with the key on engine off.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #9

My parking brake is on the driveshaft i believe. It is supplied from the green needle tank. The other powered air accesories i can think of are air horns and floor slide out for passenger.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

Now you need to chock the wheels and release the parking brake and see if the pressure drops continuously with the engine off.

Air pressure holds parking brakes OFF and a spring holds them on.

The air chamber could be leaking when the brake is off.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #11

Tried that holds air fine. Only when engine is running does that orange needle drop from 125 to 90 psi in 1 second.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Now you need to chock the wheels and release the parking brake and see if the pressure drops continuously with the engine off.

Air pressure holds parking brakes OFF and a spring holds them on.

The air chamber could be leaking when the brake is off.
Also my parking brake is on the tank with green needle.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Unloader maybe?

Anyone think it could be unloader in compressor?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If the compressor unloader was leaking, it should leak with the key off as well.
Any way you can get an air line from your shop compressor and hook it up to your engine compressor discharge line? We often found hard to find leaks this way. Better chance of hearing where it's leaking from without the engine running. Get the squirt bottle with soapy water out if you can't hear it leaking.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor