Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Compressor question

Does anyone know if a 6 gallon (pancake) 150 PSI will inflate RV tires? I need to inflate my front tires to 105 PSI and don't want to spend $130 if it won't inflate the tires?
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would assume if it's rated for 150lbs. It's not going to have a problem airing your tires. I have a Craftsman 150lb rated compressor and it works great.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What motorhome do you have? If you have air brakes usually there is a air chuck in the propane compartment you can use to air up tires.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
Does anyone know if a 6 gallon (pancake) 150 PSI will inflate RV tires? I need to inflate my front tires to 105 PSI and don't want to spend $130 if it won't inflate the tires?
After lots of research I bought a 150PSI compressor from Lowes for about $70 that works great. It is a Kobalt unit, not a pancake but low profile and fits in the right rear compartment with the Inverter. Does a great job on my fronts which I have been running at 115PSI but am reducing this slightly due to the rough ride. This compressor pumps up quickly and is fairly quiet for it's HP.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You need to be certain the output side of the regulator will go to 120 or more. I have a great little air compressor that shuts off at 135 but the regulator only goes to 110 and it will NOT air up my motor home tires.

Once you're within about 10 PSI differential it just doesn't work.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Any compressor that will develop 105 PSI will inflate your tires to 105 PSI...eventually. However, the time it takes for a 120 PSI compressor to raise the inflation pressure from of your tires from 95 PSI to 105 PSI will surprise, and disappoint you. As another poster noted, if you have onboard air for air brakes, that is your best bet. Whether you do or do not have onboard air, do yourself a favor and get a locking air chuck...a good one made by Dill or some other brand name. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that raising the inflation pressure of a tire from 95 PSI to 105 PSI using a portable compressor that cycles from 105-120 PSI can easily take ten minutes. If you are using a 175 PSI compressor, it may take less than a minute.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley to Bike Week...one more time
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #7

I use a 150# Craftsman pancake compressor to maitain air pressure of 115 psi in the front tires. Much quicker than using the RV air compressor and my camping neighbors don't mind the sound for the short period of time it takes to pressurize.

Bill
Black Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
You need to be certain the output side of the regulator will go to 120 or more. I have a great little air compressor that shuts off at 135 but the regulator only goes to 110 and it will NOT air up my motor home tires.

Once you're within about 10 PSI differential it just doesn't work.
Easy bypass the regulator.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you invest a ton of money

I was never able to get more than about 80psi out of my air system. Since my fronts are 115psi and rear are 100psi it was a losing proposition. I started out with 90, ended up with 80 and had to drag out the big garage compressor.

Pumping the brakes didn't help. High idle didn't help. More trouble than it was worth in my humble opinion.

BOTTOM LINE: Check the pressure at the air chuck before you go down that road.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #10

Lots of good comments--think the key point here is max pressure vs regulator cut-in and cut-off points. Whereas an inflator just runs and runs and you eventually fill your tires; compressors use a small tank with a max pressure of 135 or more at cut-off but wont cut back in until the pressure drops below 95 PSI [great for most air tools that need 90 PSI or less; not so great for tires that need more than 95 PSI.] You can get past the 95 PSI cut-in by leaking down the pressure to keep the compressor running but it adds to the time and effort needed to inflate a tire. A compressor with a cut-off of 150 and a cut-in of 125 or so would be ideal ---good luck.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my Sears with an identical one from Porter-Cable.

Sears does not carry parts, Porter-Cable does. The valves on theses are spring steel reed valves and will rust and fail. The Sears failed and I replaced it with the P-C only to discover I could have repaired the Sears with the P-C parts.
So for $20 I did and gave it to a friend.

Form factor is right and regulated pressure is 135psi.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
I have a Sears portable 150 PSI air compressor that I carry in the motorhome and a 120 PSI 20 gallon compressor in the garage. I use the portable even when at home because as Van points out it takes a long time to raise the pressure even 5 lbs when your target is 105 lbs on a 275/80R22.5 tire if you only have 120 lbs of pressure at the compressor. For the same reason I don't like to use the coach air system because the pressure is not high enough to quickly air up the tires. Not to mention that you have to have the engine running while doing it. Another nice feature is you can plug the compressor into the 20 amp service on the campground pedestal and air all the tires without cranking the engine.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Porter-Cable 6 gallon 150# model and it has done a great job. Also have a air tool kit 4"-20"-20" package that I may not need but has been used several times and has saved these old hands. Hmmmm over kill maybe but I have enough tools to get me out of trouble or deeper in.

LEN
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel with air brakes have a great air compressor. Outlet valve right under driver in that compartment. Got fittings, reel and about 50' feet of air hose. Now before a trip or during no more stopping at a Pilot, etc and finding broken air equipment. So nice to crank engine and put air in tires wherever one is parked.
r cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor