Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

Question Considering a '97 Monaco Windsor purchase. Please give advice?

My wife and I are "newbies". We just bought our first motorhome. A 1994 Class A Fleetwood Coronado, 31 ft. long. Chevrolet P30 chassis, with a 454cu.in. gas V8 engine. Despite being "newbies", my wife and I are considering an immediate upgrade to a diesel pusher. We're looking at a 1997 Monaco Windsor, 38 ft. with a 275hp Cummins diesel. One of our major "concerns" is whether this motorhome will be "underpowered" with only 275hp? We've been told, there will be no excess power, and maybe not even enough power, ( especially considering that we live in the West ). Bigger hills to climb, and real mountains in the West. We've also been told, this unit would be a perfect East Coast RV, for the same reason. Shorter hills, and much lower mountains in the East. And, we were told that towing wouldn't be a great experience either, with only 275hp, behind a 38ft. Class A. Quite a lot of weight to haul. What do you ALL say? As "newbies", my wife and I know nothing. We have loads to learn. Please help us out? One more question.... Are side radiators more desirable than rear mounted radiators in diesel applications? Access to the engine is obvious. And, keeping your tow vehicle clean is also obvious, ( I guess ). But, I'm asking, in terms of operating temperatures? People contradict each other all the time. Some say, side mounted radiators run cooler, and some say not. What do you ALL say? Thanks everybody... Russell
aviation1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

We have a 1998 Monaco Windsor, 33-foot with a 300 engine. Plenty of power for us, even towing. Engine is without the electronic controls, possibly less efficient but very dependable. Side radiator, which makes the engine a lot easier to maintain.

I think the whole horsepower thing is overrated. Our first motorhome was one of the Isuzu-based Trek diesels. Twenty-six feet, 3.9 liter diesel and towing a car. It got us everywhere, just slowly at times. We once spent an hour at 12 MPH going from Death Valley to Beatty, Nevada. Going slow up hills never really bothered me.

Our coach has no slides. At the time we were shopping about three years ago, that made for a 50 percent reduction in price. A DP with diesel generator, air suspension, nice interior, well maintained for $20K was great.

Slightly different beast (ours from the one you are considering), but in about 20K miles of driving, we have never had a hint of engine or transmission overheating. The gauge hardly moves. That with some pretty brutal climbs.

Anything else I can answer?

Matt B
Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

Russell:

The best way to determine if this is enough HP, drive it!!!

If possible, drive it with a toad in tow. If your toad is already set up for towing, use yours. If not, ask the current owner or dealer you're buying it from to provide a toad.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Fantastic advice!! Thanks so much. Never thought of incorporating towing as part of the test drive. It's a dealer. So, like it or not, he should be able to accommodate such a request. I also plan to contract with a diesel service facility in that area to do an extensive pre-buy inspection. If the final decision is to buy the unit, they can then perform a service of the engine, etc., on the spot, in preparation for our long drive back to Texas. You see, the Monaco Windsor we're interested in, is a couple thousand miles away from home. Thanks again... Russell
Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks Matt B. We really enjoyed reading your response. It was reassuring, and tracks with a lot of what my wife and I have been thinking, ( wondering whether or not we were correct ). The Monaco Windsor we're considering doesn't have slides either. We're not looking for slides, at this time, ( taking into account that we're buying an older coach ). But, from what we've been hearing, even the newer coaches have slide malfunctions. We're not overly concerned about speed, especially if climbing a hill. We just want the basic ability to get where we're going. I'm sure that, on the flats, and minor to medium inclines, we should be just fine. Thanks for taking your time to answer our inquiry... Russell
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40 PST with a 350 Cummings... we wondered about power on a coach this size because so many like motor coaches has a 400 but the coach was just too well maintained and the price right not to take the chance. It's perfect! We haven't climbed the hills out west yet but we have traveled to Branson Missouri with dolly and SUV and back and never really felt the pull! I run about 70 on interstate and we have pulled enclosed car trailer with steer rods without missing a beat. Monaco simply built amazing quality, dependable and luxury RVs in this time frame. We are so happy with ours. We have a trip planned west later this summer... will definitely post the results if they are less than satisfactory!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

I owned a 38 ft 2000 Dip with 315hp one slide, did ok in mountains, now own 40 ft with 4 slides 400hp does about the same in mountains, but much heavier. I would think that 275 Hp at 38 ft may be a little underpowered, but if your using only occasionally in mountains it maybe ok.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

I prefer a side radiator, easier to get at engine, belts, filters and does not get dirty like the rear radiator. I,ve owned both and like to see the engine when rear door are open.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think we've Had our 97 Windsor for 10 years now and never regretted the 275 hp.
It's a 32' and I've pulled a Jeep on a metal car hauler many times through the Rocky's
with no problems. The best thing about this mechanical 8.3 is it can be turned up a bit.
I left mine alone because I liked the good mileage at factory settings.
I'll be going to a 5th wheel this year and I bet we miss this motorhome.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a friend who lives in Florida and owned a 1999 Monaco Diplomat with a 275 engine. He towed a moderate weight car. His comment was "The coach couldn't pull the hills in Florida." He traveled the US and made it OK but had to take his time up the Western mountains. I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with a 315 engine. I also have traveled the US many times and have not had any problems with the mountains in the West. I guess you just need to test drive the coach and see for yourself if he meets your needs.
alana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We've owned a 97 Monaco Windsor 34PB for almost 20 years. It's been a fantastic coach. I liked it so much that we recently purchased another Monaco coach.

First, there are two Cummins engines available, a 5.9L B series and an 8.3L C series and BOTH can be rated at 275hp. Early Windsor's had the B5.9 and somewhere in 97 they switched to the C8.3. The C8.3 has a higher torque rating and as someone else said, can be "turned up". The Cummins service center turned ours up to 300+ right after we bought it and it does make a difference in power. It still gets about 8 mpg, you just don't have your foot into it as much or for as long. (Note: The 99 Diplomat Alana referred to above is a 5.9L Cummins).

The BIG option on these coaches is an Onan 7.5kw diesel generator. Standard is a propane generator and you are severely limited in how long you can run the generator before running out of propane.

It will have an Allison MD3060 6 speed transmission. It really needs to be updated to the Allison Transynd synthetic fluid ($79 per gallon).

This coach has an EPDM rubber roof and they need some care every few years. They must be cleaned/resealed and also need to be recoated occasionally.

Another warning, we spent over $15k updating and replacing systems the last few years: Dometic AC's, the old 4-button thermostats, Trace inverter, house and engine batteries, awnings, refrigerator X2 (replaced the Norcold once and then installed a residential, best thing we ever did!), TV's, DVD/Blu-ray players, antennas, toilet seals, tires (tires are expensive for any used coach), window repair, skylight replacement, faucets, and lots of other things.

The 97 Windsor is rated to tow 5000#. It will do that as long as there are no major grades and the outside air temp is below 100 degrees. The 98 and newer Windsor is rated at 10,000#, but it will struggle if you load it this hard. I've compared the two side by side and it's impossible to tell the difference.

It has a Pac brake exhaust brake that works well. However, on this model year the Pac brake is on a separate foot control on the floor and some folks have a hard time adjusting to it.

Be careful on pricing. You can pick up one for as little as $15k, but you may have to spend $15-20k on bringing it up to speed.

Make sure you do a thorough search and compare pricing across the entire country. Look through the classifieds on this forum, RVT.com, RV Trader, and PPL Motorhomes. You will learn from every coach you look at.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #12

Thanks everybody for taking your time to respond to our inquiries. You've tremendously helped out my wife and I, in deciding whether to buy this coach. We really appreciate reading about your "real world" experiences while traveling. Very interesting reading. The coach we're thinking of buying has the Cummins C-series 275hp diesel. So, I guess that's the 8.3liter, and can be 'turned up a bit', ( someone said ). Don't know yet what my wife will say about that, but I'd like to get some more power out of that powerplant, if it's available. And, it has a side radiator too. Another plus, in my opinion. Inside, it's simply beautiful, ( but all you Monaco owners already know that, I'm sure ). Thanks again everybody. I hope we're successful acquiring it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #13

If the deal happens, PM me. I will be glad to send a list of things we have repaired or improved, and some maintenance ideas. Our coaches are probably very similar.

Matt B
Old 02-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #14

Sadly, that beautiful coach was sold out from under my wife and me. So, we're back to the drawing board, ( unable to find another example, as perfect as that Monaco Windsor was ). I'm trying to be philosophical about it, but as I return to shopping mode, and closely examine photos and information, I'm not enthused about what I'm seeing in the marketplace that's being offered for sale, ( at the moment ). I guess everything's a function of "price point". All we have to do is spend more money, and all will be fine? Probably not. The only two good things about having lost out on that particular Monaco, is that now, my wife and I are shopping for a "solid", ( non-rubber roof ), and a larger than 275hp engine. But, thank you so much for your gracious offer, and you have already helped us learn a lot. Thanks. In the meantime, we've turned to appreciating our gas powered motorhome a little more.

Tags
advice, monaco, purchase