Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

Considering an 02 Windsor

I've heard a lot about the eight airbag Roadmaster chassis, but have never driven one. Is there anything peculiar to these rigs that should be watched for?
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our 2002 Windsor! Ours has the Cummins ISC350 engine and the Roadmaster RR8S chassis with the side radiator which is great for easy access to the engine!

It also has the side exhaust so I can use the Protect-a-Tow mesh shield to protect the toad.

I really love the air leveling! No hydraulic jacks to go bad!

We've never had a problem with the engine or transmission. Have had to replace both A/C units.

It rides and drives like a dream! No handling problems even in the high winds out west!

I have never heard of any problems with this model.

Which model are you looking at?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #3

It's a 40PKD with two slides, 52,000 miles and in exceptional condition. I wish it had a bit more counter space for food preparation, but I'll get used to that, I guess. I think the dual sinks, one in the bedroom and the other in the lavatory, necessitated a slightly shorter main cabin and a little less room for the kitchen and recliner area along the passenger side wall. Other than that, it's just about perfect.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We also have an 02 Windsor but it is a 3 slide 40PST. Really like it and people can’t believe it is 16 years old. Has the Cummins 350 ISC, air leveling, side radiator. Just replaced cooling unit in Norcold fridge but that is only major thing so far. Side radiator is really nice for engine access. We had a serpentine belt going out last year on a trip and because of easy access to engine, it only took me about five minutes to replace. Very easy to replace fuel filters as well.
Brianpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 38PKD, currently have ~107K miles on it. No problem with engine, did have to replace the transmission ECM about 5 years ago.

Chassis is pretty much bullet proof. Drives and handles great.

Don't know of any real issues on these coaches.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

Hi Qwimby 1; I agree with comments others have made about their Windsor's. I am on my second Windsor. Started with a 2000 32', no slides and now have an 01 Windsor with just the kitchen slide. The, new to us 01, has 19" more of wheelbase and handles better the the 32'. But you are looking at a 40', so that should handle great. As Jacwjames mentioned, the chassis is bullet proof, IMHO. I see you are located in Fl. by your signature. Besides the normal things to look for, as I see you are a CC owner, you probably know about the normal stuff, tire dates, battery age and etc. The Windsor of the year you are looking at is the last year of the all steel construction, 03 went to alum. braced framing in the side walls. The all fiberglass roof is intricated into the front and rear caps. No seam on top. A lot more expensive way to put the coach together and get rid of seems. If it were me looking at the coach I would pay attention to all the roof seems, beltline seal and roof components like the bath skylight, plumbing vents, antenna bases to make sure you cannot see any signs of water intrusion into the coach. Also there has been a known problem with the very bottom of the slide outs having the possibility of water intrusion into the bottom of the slide floor due to the way the bottom corner of the slide was designed. For those coachs with that problem, the Tallin plates have been a great fix for those situations. If you put a search in the box at the top of this page you can read about owners who have fixed this problem. I have had two Windsor's and would hands down recommend this coach to anyone who is interested, but there is the possibility of some that have been neglected. I am sure you will able to tell the difference. Hope this information is helpful in making a decision on the 02 Windsor. Happy shopping and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Attachment 205589
Absolutely love our 03 Windsor. Purchased it in 2016 with 104,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and we have changed tires, brakes/drums and replaced the alternator (the P.O. said he had replaced the alternator one other time). We have upgraded to a residential refrigerator and LOVE that! We have absolutely no complaints with our Monaco!
Old 06-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #8

Thanks to all for the very helpful responses. The Country Coach I owned was damaged in Hurricane Irma which is why I no longer have it. It appears the Windsor will be of equal quality, which is saying something.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

We bought our 02 Windsor last October, and we absolutely love it. We changed the norcold out to a French door residential, not because we were having problems but we had a residential in our diplomat, and wanted one in the windsor. As others have said it is a really nice coach, I think you will like it.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote