Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #1

Considering buying 2000 Beaver Patriot Concord

Hi. We are considering buying our first RV motorhome we are looking at a 2000 Beaver Patriot Concord coach with 95000 miles, what should we be looking for? We are in Florida
Here are some specs 33” long, 330 Caterpillar3126B Turbo Charged Diesel Pusher, Allison MD-3000 Six Speed Transmission with Magnum Eight Air Bags Chassis, Onan Generator, Hydraulic Leveling System, 2000-Watt Inverter and Hurricane Heater.
Our 2nd choice would be 1997 Beaver Patriot 37”.
We have noticed they are priced well above NADA average retail price listing, is this normal? NADA Low Retail $26,500 Average Retail is $31,950.
How much above average retail do you pay for 2000 Beaver Patriot in excellent condition /garage kept? Any thoughts or comments are apricated. Thank you for your help.
BT2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about that rig but wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Good morning BT2019; The fact that you have found a 2000 Beaver 33' coach for sale could answer your question of why the prices seem higher than the NADA guide. Remember, NADA is a guide. What is out in the market, condition etc. will affect costs. This is my opinion only. The Beaver is a great coach and others here will agree with me. In the years of 2003 & 4 I was looking for a Beaver 33'. Every time I would find one, it was GONE. Drove up to one dealer and saw the coach going for a test drive. When the coach returned I knocked on the door and the salesmen said, sorry sold. Just my experience that high end, short diesel pusher coaches in good of great condition are not in great supply. If this is your first coach make sure you get a through inspection of the house and chassis by qualified inspectors. This can save you headaches down the road. Some things to take into account are tire age, battery age, and how the coach was maintained. The inspection should make sure all systems operate as they should. A 2000 year air ride coach is starting to get to the age where a good inspection of the chassis air bags need to be looked at closely. I have not owner a Beaver, but tried in the early 2003 & 4. Took factory tours in Bend Oregon from about 1998 to 2002. Great quality coach. Others here will respond giving you more info as I think I have just scratched the surface. Hope some of this info is helpful and let us know what you decide to do. Also make it fun! Have a great day!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

First, the MH is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it and for which the seller is willing to sell. NADA has little relation to the real world of actual transactions.

As to the coach in question, make sure someone knowledgeable checks out the Hurricane hydronic heating system. As with Hydro-Hot and Aqua-Hot systems, they are very reliable, but if not properly maintained, very expensive to repair. If I recall correctly, a replacement Aqua-Hot system is about $10k. Of course, you will want to retain an independent third party to inspect the coach systems and drive train. Typically, one does not do the other. Recommend oil and coolant analysis.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Caterpillar builds some great diesel engines, but the 3126 not one of them. It is a parent bore engine manufactured for light duty use. They commonly are known as school bus engines.
Check through the Caterpillar section of this forum. The newer version of the 3126 is the C7. Just skim through the 3126 and C7 issues.
Caterpillar Engine Forum - iRV2 Forums

Beaver builds a great coach but I would advise you to keep looking.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
If the generator is not in the front on the 33’ I’d pass on it because of poor handling. I agree a Cat 3126 is not a great engine but it should go 250K miles without any major problems. Beaver woodwork is some of the best. I would not pay more than NADA Retail...maybe a little more if it has new tires and batteries. I owned a 98 Beaver 40’ Patriot...good rig. Buy more MH than you think you need, one time. I made the mistake of start at 36’.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ivy makes a very good point. I also bought a 34' motor home the first time and wished I had bought at least a 40'.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the information and suggestions. They wanted too much over NADA average retail about $16,000 more. I’ll keep looking, Thank you.
BT2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, buying